Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
PLUS the the spen and premiar suite(soon).

Why don't you go and get some face time with note and nexus.

To me nexus is nothing compared to the note. But have a look and feel and form your own opinion. Why asking here? We can't decided for you.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Definitely.

Even the NOTE has ICS, with some aosp roms (aokp) already in beta...so very soon it will match the Gnex.

The only reason to turn away from the NOTE to the Gnex is basically if you have feminine hands or skinny jeans.
lol, was trying to work out what a gnex from samsung was... google came up with this :

http://www.genxmea.com/Products/Samsung_Silver.aspx

Re-read the post and worked it out... all good now

Gnex = Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Besides Gnex =/= genX

I'm flattered

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Unfortunately it hasn't stereo speakers, and speaker volume is not generous at all.
Originally Posted by Pigro View Post
3) audio (both through speakers and headphones) is inferior to n900. out of the box, the note audio is tinny at best and it needs allthe help it can get from EQ to make it liveable-with as your main mp3 player
Mmmm...I can't wait to get a samsung galaxy note but the audio is a main thing for me. To what extent is the audio bad in the galaxy note? weak? unclear? has some "hiss" sounds?

Last edited by Virtuality; 2012-04-03 at 17:59.

the native sound through speakers is very flat and lacking bass. Throuh supplied headphones it is the same. It is not unlistenable but it badly needs the help of a graphic equaliser to bring up the bass and middle. Once that's done it works OK but it is never going to be "hifi" - the hardware chip just isn't great. I do use it as my day to day music player but I do miss the n900 often in this respect.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
I got the Galaxy Nexus a week ago. I am very happy with it so far. Sure, the Note has better specs, especially the screen. The CPU and GPU matter less, because the Nexus CPU/GPU is pretty fast as it is, and for most applications it makes no difference.
But for something you carry around all the tie, the size is very important as well, and the Nexus is great in terms of size.

The (call) speaker sound is great, better than most.

The phone's loudspeaker is average. It lacks Bass and general volume, its really bad decision on Samsung's end....then again the loudspeaker on the Gnex is just as bad or worse.

The headset performance is good. Its a little better than the SII's but not much better than average. Audiophiles would cringe. Frankly the original SGS with the VooDoo Fix had much much better performance, I hope Samsung will learn.

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
I've taken some measurements and decided on what would make the NOTE better...ie requests for a N0TE2.

Here's a quick mock to illustrate:

Main changes:
---Added a kickstand as its a killer feature with this device
Its located on the top section of the device. It protects the camera from surface scratches. It also gives the camera an excuse to be thicker, so a better quality piece can be installed. Samsung I demand for it to be on-par with the N8's camera!
---Physical Navigation buttons.
Its all about on-screen these days, but that feature is useless on a handset and it eats up precious screen estate. A slim, long (clicky) elegant design taken from the Xperia is superior. Besides it prevents accidental triggers (ever hand over the phone to someone who accidentally hit Back, for instance on a loaded Youtube video when you have slow connection!!!)
---Slightly re-sized screen.
Its still keeps its 1.6 aspect ratio but has decreased an inch
---More compact device.
Due to making it thinner, slightly smaller and shaving the bezel...its now much more compact, pocket friendly and comfortable in-palm.

So....what do you think of these changes??
(you can stop reading here)

Preffered Specs:
Android 4.0.4 ICS (with TouchWizz v5) -promised update to Android 5.0 JellyBean
Easily rootable and no locked bootloader

5.2" HD SAMOLED *Plus* (RGB subpixels)
with 1280 x 800 resolution and Lotus Glass

1.5 GHz Exynos 5250 (32nm DualCore A15-Eagle)
1GB LPDDR2 (Dual Channel) and PowerVR SGX545MP4
2,500mAh removable battery

12MP Rear Lens (face, smile detection, geotagging, panorama, dual led)
2MP Front-facing camera

32GB NAND with microSD slot (upto 64GB)
Wifi bgn, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC
aGPS, GLONASS, compass, barometre
gyro, light sensor, proximity sensor, S PEN

Pentaband HSPDA+ and LTE (separate US versions)

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
from 2006 to 2012 nokia lost the plot and the galaxy note is proof
i remember nokia n810 users having a wishlist and it took a korean company to produce the goods

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
I don't think locked bootloaders would be a problem - Samsung's been pretty generous with regard to hacking their devices (huge rootfs space, kernel source, unlocked bootloaders, etc.)
Not so much regarding speed of updates and Touchwiz (which even version 4.0, tbh, looks cheap), but they do come eventually.

The problem I have with all smartphones (GNote and SGS2 included) is that the tiny battery simply cannot keep up with the powerful SoCs and bright screens they put in them. The recess on the back of the SGS2 shows that they're putting extreme thin-ness above all else. I'd gladly trade 2-5mm more thickness for a more battery capacity.

Tags
android, galaxy note