Posts: 235 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Costa Rica
I've just discovered that with ICS, my Note while on stand by almost does not use any power at all.

I've just seen the battery consumption graphic during the night and it's a perfect flat line.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
@debranardis Does this bug brick Notes without custom roms. I just did the basic rooting recommended by Dr Ketan so I could run Ubuntu or Debian. So far experience has been very good. Hate to revert back...

@isolano I made a similar observation this morning. I had just charged the Note and decided to not turn it off when I went to sleep. When I woke up battery was at 98 %!

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
@debranardis Does this bug brick Notes without custom roms. I just did the basic rooting recommended by Dr Ketan so I could run Ubuntu or Debian. So far experience has been very good. Hate to revert back...

@isolano I made a similar observation this morning. I had just charged the Note and decided to not turn it off when I went to sleep. When I woke up battery was at 98 %!
The so-called "superbrick" bug happens when wiping a partition under some ICS firmwares, including the stock German LPY firmware, and maybe (still uncertain) the Taiwanese LPF.
It seems that the majority of EMMC chips in these devices are partially faulty and issuing a certain bulk erase command (which it seems ICS does and GB does not) the EMMC gets damaged. Someone could restore by repartitioning, some others had their partitions so damaged that nothing could be done.

I wouldn't have reverted if I hadn't to go to a congress where the Note will be my only device for taking notes, making presentations and consulting pdf's.
I think I'll risk again when I'm back.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
The so-called "superbrick" bug happens when wiping a partition under some ICS firmwares, including the stock German LPY firmware, and maybe (still uncertain) the Taiwanese LPF.
It seems that the majority of EMMC chips in these devices are partially faulty and issuing a certain bulk erase command (which it seems ICS does and GB does not) the EMMC gets damaged. Someone could restore by repartitioning, some others had their partitions so damaged that nothing could be done.

I wouldn't have reverted if I hadn't to go to a congress where the Note will be my only device for taking notes, making presentations and consulting pdf's.
I think I'll risk again when I'm back.
The problem is this is happening from the kernel, not the ROM itself.
And since CWM is only a light front, its not really happenning on boot....which means you can BRICK your device while loaded in Android.

Entropy said its a very rare occurance, but under heavy I/O operations it wouldn't be impossible to replicate. Also that the bug is actually a feature from the AOSP which Samsung have accidentally enabled, that its always in the kernel. So if you wiped or flashed via CWM and didn't BRICK, it doesn't mean you don't have the bug it just means you got lucky...but your next flash can be the lethal one.

While its serious, and I have no idea how it even made it into an Official Update....there's many members spreading fud in the forums. I've come under personal attack because I warned some members because two "knowitalls" said if they developer cooks a rom with it he knows what he is doing and its safe *facepalm*

I'd recommend people to stay away from the LPY kernel.
LPF hasn't had any bricks (so far) that I know of, but I don't think its safe (since it was released close timing with the GER ota).
The safest is the Gingerbread kernels, i91004 kernel (CM9 nightly) or Abyss.

Also don't flash the LPF bootloader. Flashing bootloaders is extremely dangerous and should only be done if there's missing features. Since the stock Samsung bootloader works like a charm, there shouldn't be anyone flashing and putting themselves at pointless risk.

On good news, PARANOIDANDROID is available for the N7000.
What it is, is an AOSP based rom (cm9 nightlies) which sets the pixel density (dpi) at tablet mode but at highest possible setting = 213 dpi.
Then it has its own ROM Control, where you can select these awesome options:
- Set a custom dpi for ANY App, so each app is different (eg Carousel YouTube, large phone, dual-window Settings, dual-window Gmail etc etc)
- Select if the Notification Bar is visible for ANY app (so that you can hide it for some apps, or bring it forth for others eg angry birds)
..So its not tablet mode, its not phone mode...its a hybrid and you have all the choices, its what the NOTE needs.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1662802

Bad points about the ROM:
-based on CM9 nightlies
-bugs bugs bugs
-unoptimized kernel
-no UI options like AOKP ROM (Stunner/LiquidSmooth)

I'm flattered

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
http://www.becausewemay.com/play.html

if anyone like games? take a look.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ spain
The superbrick bug only leads to one conclusion:

Samsung isn't better than Nokia making software and is the community who keep doing the hard software work.

Both Nokia and Samsung only cares for buying the more expensive devices the better.

Regards.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I'm in the process of reinstalling (3rd time) ICS LPY with CFRoot LPF Kernel.
Now making nandroid backup, by CWM, of my perfectly working Gingerbread filesystem.
Why do I do? Dunno. Tinkering. I know, it's risky. I like it.
Wish me good luck. I promise I won't wipe.

Last edited by debernardis; 2012-05-23 at 16:37.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ spain
Now making nandroid backup, by CWM, of my perfectly working Gingerbread filesystem.
Good luck, bro!

The Following User Says Thank You to Straycat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
After tasting ice cream sandwich I just can't go back to gingerbead. Good luck debranardis...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
No need to use leaked ICS kernel (lp1, lp5, lp6) which are not fully stable/supported.
No need to brick your beast with the official ICS kernels (lpy, lpf, lp9) which have the infamous bug.

Samsung has finally responded (did I mention it took too long) and they've Open Sourced the ICS kernels. Now custom kernel development has started. Soon you'll see:
- root, busybox available during flashing.
- no mmc bugs, all working functions.
- new drivers.
- absolute stability.
- possibly new interesting projects.

And obviously the ROMs will then follow suit, eg:
- AOKP with ParanoidAndroid features

Its not correct to give ETA, but the new kernels should be ready in 1-2 weeks and the custom roms in 3-4 weeks. I believe that's not such a long wait, certainly enough to stick with Gingerbread or Stunner and not risk brick.

I'm flattered

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, galaxy note