Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I found that I had also somehow unsubscribed from this thread, which strikes me as VERY odd.

Anyway, hopefully I will have time this long weekend to rebuild sulu's image with the extra files and re-publish on qole.org.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I found that I had also somehow unsubscribed from this thread, which strikes me as VERY odd.
So, there are already two of us unsubscripted for reasons unknown. Bug?

Anyway, I tried to create archive with my config files related to ED, but it resulted in blazing ~16MB, mainly due to chromium temporary files, databases erc., also located in /home/user/.config/chromium. Same apply for LibreOffice (or OpenOffice) files, including sketches of my personal documents, etc.

Does anyone know an easy way to post it, without - at the same time - providing users unnecessary cache of web sites visited by me, my cookies, encrypted password cache (sic), or other things? Of course, i mean other way than manually examining every file?...

BTW, wouldn't chromium, LibreOffice etc. rebuild it's config files to default, in case of lacking them? Maybe it's important to only post lxde, pcmanfm and things like that?

I would really like to allow people hassle-free usage of my image (which may be felt - by many users - as preferred, due to already included LibreOffice instead of old OpenOffice, and fast Chromium instead of slow Iceweasel, + LXDE panels tweaked to fit N900 as much effectively as I was able to), yet, this whole config things start to become more complicated than work on image itself.

Of course, it's probably just me and my lack of knowledge, so any hints really appreciated.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-04-06 at 22:51.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
So, there are already two of us unsubscripted for reasons unknown. Bug?
My subscription was still ok.

[....]

BTW, wouldn't chromium, LibreOffice etc. rebuild it's config files to default, in case of lacking them? Maybe it's important to only post lxde, pcmanfm and things like that?
LibreOffice works fine from your image.
Chromium also works, but it didn't have your customisations, and since these improve usability a lot, I would appreciate them being included. (I did try to recreate them, but I'm not sure I got it right, it's kinda slow at times)

I would really like to allow people hassle-free usage of my image (which may be felt - by many users - as preferred, due to already included LibreOffice instead of old OpenOffice, and fast Chromium instead of slow Iceweasel, + LXDE panels tweaked to fit N900 as much effectively as I was able to),
[...]

/Estel
Agreed. While I was amazed how well Easy Debian worked on the N900, it still is a matter of compromise, so any tweaking helps.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maartenmk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maartenmk View Post
My subscription was still ok.
As is mine. It seems just the more important people were unwillingly unsubscribed. Sabotage, I say.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Ok, I have uploaded the new sulu image in place of the old one. The panels now work correctly, including the very cool orientation turn icon. But the portrait mode is 'upside down' for me. No big deal, though.

I'm proud to say I did everything on-device, including lzma and upload to qole.org.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maartenmk View Post
Chromium also works, but it didn't have your customisations, and since these improve usability a lot, I would appreciate them being included. (I did try to recreate them, but I'm not sure I got it right, it's kinda slow at times)
Things for chromium were posted here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=2568

...And, just for convenience, .desktop files for Maemo:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=2573
...allowing hassle-free launching of Chromium and LibreOffice via regular shortcuts.

As for the latter, it can't be included in image (except for some post-first-chroot magic?), qole would need to add it to chroot package, like he did with OpenOffice and Iceweasel in old versions of ED.

For Chromium extensions, I don't have idea for good way of including them, without making it mandatory - IMO they're a must-have due to drag'n'drop scrolling, but I imagine that few people may don't like it.

/Estel

// Edit

I'm currently packing config files without ones from LibreOffice and Chromium, will post it here in minutes.

// Edit 2
Here it is (see attachment).

qole, Your version of sulu's image also contain /home/user totally separated from Maemo one, as You suggested (via script) some posts ago? Do You feel, that You could also re-build and "approve" my image the same way?

By the way - it is perfectly safe now, to perform apt-get upgrade (and apt-get update, obviously) - repositories are set - by default - to contain Squeeze and squeeze-backports. It's a month already from latest image, so You may find some updates available, and it's perfectly safe to perform.
Attached Files
File Type: gz edfinal-config.tar.gz (7.0 KB, 87 views)
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-04-07 at 18:03.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Thank you for LXDE config,10 times more convenient than my fast setup. Already had chromium running with scrollbars anywhere, but scrolling is sometimes slow and laggy... Estel, hows the performance on your device?

It's just not how I expected the performance to be. I expected a little bit more "smooth" scrolling. Would using a partition, increase the performance much?

In my case scrolling is generally smooth as silk - and for sure, isn't worst after installing (and configuring) scrollbars anywhere. BTW, it's also worth to install smallest possible modification, that disables scrollbars - we aren't using then anymore, so it's a gain of few additional pixels for web content (just like in microB - unfortunately, I wasn't able to find extension, that hides scrollbars but show them during scrolling only...)

I'm also sure, that using dedicated partition helps performance *a much* - and if I remember correctly, someone in this thread already proved this by measurements.
---

As it was some time since last discussion, for people that may be confused a little - best way to open hidden bars in my LXDE config, is to tap just a little *outside* screen. Due to our resistive screen's characteristic, for LXDE it perfectly simulates a motion to the edge of screen. This way, we can use such big, finger/stylus friendly icons (or even bigger, if someone feel it fancy).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Looks like I have about the same performance as mr_pingu with Chromium, scrolling is sometimes smooth, but often laggy, I certainly do not think it is a full replacement for Opera or MicroB. And I do use a partition.
I also had higher expectations after reading Estel's experiences with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to maartenmk For This Useful Post:
Also, consider using swap *only* on microSD, and using *internal* eMMC partition for ED (eliminates plentora of I/O conflicts on eMMC). If all of those is valid, maybe You have some memory-hungry widgets or whatsnot? I'm quite minimalistic in that matter, so my "standby" memory footprint is relatively small. On the other hand, full-fledged browsers like Chromium are memory hogs, so every megabyte saving You from using swaps count here.

BTW, of course, preferences wary - for me, opera isn't any alternative to microB or Chromium via ED (any single of them).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze