Active Topics

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post

If the output of "dpkg -s getbootstate" shows Version: 1.0.35+0m5 on your N900, you will be able to multiboot.

The package can be found at http://www.daimi.au.dk/~cvm/bootmenu_1.6_armel.deb and you need to dpkg -i it as root. You need rootsh installed.
Hi Stskeep,

I tried to get this working on n900 but no luck. I installed bootmenu deb you have linked above. Then rebooted n900 with keyboard slid out. But the device booted as before. I guess I was supposed to see some boot menu at this point. (I also tried with keyboard slid in, but same result).

One thing I noticed is my version of getbootstate is little older than you mentioned above.

Mine is Version: 1.0.34+0m5

Could that be the reason? Is it necessary to have 1.0.35?

The Following User Says Thank You to jyro2179 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by jyro2179 View Post
Could that be the reason? Is it necessary to have 1.0.35?
Yes, you need to upgrade to 42-11 (PR1.0) or it won't patch. You also need to install it with the Install bootmenu icon.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Hi,
I have successfully installed the bootloader on n900 and can choose which os to load on boot with keyboard out.
My next question is how to I go about loading Android on the SD card?
I found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQzkBondAMk
and http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=585948).
but really no clue (totally noob) how to get this working on the SD card.

Many Thanks!

Posts: 163 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alabama
I have this loaded and working on my n900 as well, but I'm sure booting Maemo from an sd card isn't as simple as coping the root filesystem to the card. Are there any samples out there as adding bootmenu items?

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by bdogg64 View Post
I have this loaded and working on my n900 as well, but I'm sure booting Maemo from an sd card isn't as simple as coping the root filesystem to the card. Are there any samples out there as adding bootmenu items?
Quick and dirty way:

- install bootmenu deb mentioned above (dpkg -i + clicking install bootmenu icon)
- rename /bootmenu.conf to something else (no need to make items then, there are hardcoded ones)

- repartition microsd to have at least two partitions, format second one as ext2 (beware of https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2747 , for me microsd is /dev/mmcblk1 after N900 boots but mmcblk0 at boot time)

- clone root filesystem to this partition like this

Code:
Nokia-N900-42-11:~# mount --bind / /floppy
Nokia-N900-42-11:~# mount -t ext2 -o noatime /dev/mmcblk1p2 /initrd/
Nokia-N900-42-11:~# cd /floppy/
Nokia-N900-42-11:/floppy# tar -cf - . | tar -xvf - -C /initrd
- now (optionally but preferably) disable /home mounting in mmc system and copy /home to mmc too

vi /initrd/etc/event.d/rcS-late
comment line
# /bin/mount /home || echo "Failed to mount /home partition."

and when you are at editing it you can add "umount /mnt/initfs" there to unmount previous ubifs root (possibly saves some RAM)

Code:
Nokia-N900-42-11:/floppy# cd
Nokia-N900-42-11:~# umount /floppy/
Nokia-N900-42-11:~# mount --bind /home /floppy
Nokia-N900-42-11:~# cd /floppy/
Nokia-N900-42-11:/floppy# tar -cf - . | tar -xvf - -C /initrd/home
Nokia-N900-42-11:/floppy# cd
Nokia-N900-42-11:~# umount /floppy
Nokia-N900-42-11:~# umount /initrd
now reboot with keyboard open and select boot from external card partition 2, ext2

--bind mounts to /floppy are there to omit copying /proc /sys... for root system and /home/user/MyDocs for /home

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2010-01-04 at 11:46.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Quick and dirty way:
This worked for you? I had a similar approach but with rsync and I had a stall in startup-pin-query where it never moved on, so am curious
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
This worked for you? I had a similar approach but with rsync and I had a stall in startup-pin-query where it never moved on, so am curious
Yes but I'm not using it as a phone, will try to put some SIM in and retry.

EDIT: oh, forgot that I reflashed to PR1.1 yesterday so I no longer have 42-11 and cannot flash back (or so they say). The nearest I can try this evening is to boot old rootfs with new kernel and new cmt firmware. And then of course with newer OS cloned to third partition.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2009-12-29 at 11:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
The nearest I can try this evening is to boot old rootfs with new kernel and new cmt firmware. And then of course with newer OS cloned to third partition.
OK, cloned newer system to third microsd partition as described above, put SIM with pin code in and I can confirm that:

- old rootfs (42-11) boots fine from second partition including entering SIM pin code and appears to work fine (with newer kernel, bootloader etc)
- new rootfs (51-1) boots fine from third partition including entering pin code too

- new rootfs was somehow clever with system locale and SIM (operator? location?), I had english as default before cloning but with SIM in it did some additional post boot initialization and changed my locale to Czech

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alabama
OK, cloned newer system to third microsd partition as described above, put SIM with pin code in and I can confirm that:

- old rootfs (42-11) boots fine from second partition including entering SIM pin code and appears to work fine (with newer kernel, bootloader etc)
- new rootfs (51-1) boots fine from third partition including entering pin code too

- new rootfs was somehow clever with system locale and SIM (operator? location?), I had english as default before cloning but with SIM in it did some additional post boot initialization and changed my locale to Czech
If possible, can you say what kernel the newest firmware is running?

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

oh, sorry, by new I mean just new build possibly with some bug fixes

Tags
alternative os, android, bootloader, diversity on n900?, kexec, linux, more freedom?, n900, operating system