Active Topics

Guys i need to make my N900 Emmc to 8GB for Apps & 21GB for MyDocs

I read & try to understand abt this but cannot..

Every post i read Is only having this file
Code:
EMMC_By.MiDO.FaYad.8.giga.7z
But no guide or steps to install this

Guys plz help me in this

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
This is the wiki entry about repartitioning using a GParted-Live-CD http://wiki.maemo.org/Repartitioning...ng_made_simple

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
If u can explain in ur steps then it would be nice... I am not getting those, Sorry

btw so what is the use of tht mido_fayad file ?

btw I am using windows XP

If you already have "EMMC_By.MiDO.FaYad.8.giga.7z" file install 7-zip on your PC and extract BIN file from this package, then just flash eMMC as normal.

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
btw so what is the use of tht mido_fayad file ?
Well Nokia in their license forbids redistribution of their content, for example the fiasco images they provide to flash the N900. Nevertheless some people ignores that and adapted the sizes of the partitioning inside the images and share them. You may decide on your own, if you honor the license and trust those images to be trustworthy.

If u can explain in ur steps then it would be nice... I am not getting those, Sorry
Download Gparted-Live-CD.iso file or any Linux-Live-CD image containing gparted application
Burn Gparted-Live-CD to CD or DVD
Install Backupmenu to your N900
Reboot the N900 with keyboard ejected
In Bootmenu type 'w' to export the partitions in read/write-mode
Boot your PC from the Live-CD
If necessary start gparted
Choose the device (hard disk) in the upper right drop down menu should be some 30GB size.
Right click the first partition (approx27GB) and choose 'Resize or Move', use the right handle to shrink the partition.
Click 'Resize'-button (Dont worry you will be asked to apply actions later)
Right click on the second partition (approx.2GB) and choose 'Resize or Move', use the left handle to fill the free space created by the first resizing.
Do not touch the third, aka swap-partition.
Now click apply in the upper toolbar and accept the changes to be applied.
If everything is resized successfully, shut down the PC
On the N900 press 'q' to quit backupmenu and restart Maemo.

Hope that helps!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
michaaa62 is right, published mido's file violates Nokia's license.

I created my own images for 4GB, 5GB and 8GB opt (apps) partition following wiki guide (Solution #5). But because I was curious I also checked mido's file if it is trustful and I can say that it is. I compared hash values with mine "8GB" file and they are the same.

Last edited by kolos; 2011-11-06 at 22:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to kolos For This Useful Post:
Thanks to all u guys.. I repated my N900 to 8GB 21GBMyDocs

U guys are really helpful and great :d

Originally Posted by bbkshine View Post
Thanks to all u guys.. I repated my N900 to 8GB 21GBMyDocs

U guys are really helpful and great :d
Hi Guys ; especially @BBKSHINE:

I want to flash my Nokia N900 with 8GB app partition. I am not from computer science background. So could you please help me in doing this. If possible please let me know through step by step instructions. I will be grateful to you all..

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by kunalapavan View Post
If possible please let me know through step by step instructions. I will be grateful to you all..
Have you read this thread at all? There is a link to the relevant wiki article in post #2.

More importantly, please see the step by step instructions provided by michaaa62 in this thread - on the same page. Y'know, like right above your post.

Alternatively, if you already read that and still don't get it, I'd recommend not attempting this procedure. It's quite possible to screw up your N900 if you get it wrong, and you'd need more skill to fix it than you would to break it. You should ask yourself why you want to attempt this and whether you really need the result.

If you ask specific questions, chances are someone can help you, but please don't ignore the effort already provided by other people in this thread.

Finally (and this applies to everyone, especially bbkshine, who posted the original question)...

If you found the information posted by michaaa62 to be useful, please click the Thanks! link at the bottom right of that post. It will be appreciated by michaaa62 and just as importantly lets other users quickly see that that post was appreciated by several people and is therefore probably useful for them too.

Last edited by shallimus; 2011-11-09 at 14:52.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
Have you read this thread at all? There is a link to the relevant wiki article in post #2.

More importantly, please see the step by step instructions provided by michaaa62 in this thread - on the same page. Y'know, like right above your post.

Alternatively, if you already read that and still don't get it, I'd recommend not attempting this procedure. It's quite possible to screw up your N900 if you get it wrong, and you'd need more skill to fix it than you would to break it. You should ask yourself why you want to attempt this and whether you really need the result.

If you ask specific questions, chances are someone can help you, but please don't ignore the effort already provided by other people in this thread.

Finally (and this applies to everyone, especially bbkshine, who posted the original question)...

If you found the information posted by michaaa62 to be useful, please click the Thanks! link at the bottom right of that post. It will be appreciated by michaaa62 and just as importantly lets other users quickly see that that post was appreciated by several people and is therefore probably useful for them too.

Thank you so much for taking your valuable time to guide newbies like me.

#1 I have installed many apps that are necessary for me, therefore the application memory has decreased a lot. Further, if I want to install more apps, the memory wouldn't be sufficient. Hence, I am planning to increase the app memory size.

Now I want to flash my mobile and increase the app memory size. The two options available for me are-

Option-1: Restore the N900 to factory settings and then increase the app memory size to 8 GB as suggested by you and michaaa62.

Option-2: Flash the mobile and subsequently change the app memory size by using custom eMMC (EMMC_By.MiDO.FaYad). I have downloaded the custom eMMC file. I am planning to flash and format eMMC according to video posted in wiki.maemo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1zvRjL-2cM).

Please suggest me which one is easy and reliable for guys who are not proficient in programming.

Thanks a lot!! Your help is appreciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to kunalapavan For This Useful Post: