Active Topics

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
You could write a book of Symbians failures. In 2008 Symian was meant to have major overhaul, but supposedly stopped by Symbian Foundation that brought companies that where not really interested and slower decission making so that aged OS looked even more old.
I mean Palm has bern faster to transform than Nokia.

Symbian was going to be dead one way or another, this was one of them.If your home market(Europe) isn't buying them you are in the deep side of the pool already.

If Nokia would have made the strategy clear, inspired the company and made real decissions to one direction 2-3 years ago things might be different, but Nokia still had small window() of time left when the company is still relevant in west and thankfully did it.

It's not what i or the linux community wanted, but at least they still have slight change of staying in the industry rather than having slow dead and no change of having any weight to make a difference next year.
Now I don't argue that given the management problem Nokia might be in even worse trouble if it stayed with Symbian. We can't know for sure. However I do believe that falling stocks would have finally convinced even the most diehard in the management to make some changes.

What I'm arguing against though is that a lot of people seem to associate Nokia's trouble in keeping up with Symbian itself, which is a faulty premise. Symbian is fully able to change and adapt. It only requires people to actually work on it. Which has been happening very slowly, but was still happening. The great improvement that the S^3 is over S60 is proof of that. Given enough time, Symbian could be on par with competition in UI fluidity (and ahead of them in everything else). Nokia's management failures are what's killing it. Underspecced hardware, slow updates.. you know what I'm talking about.

Whether or not these changes would have come fast enough to propel the company back into leading position is something in the "what if" realm. The transition to WP has already done much to hurt Nokia's image in the world. Would slowness of Symbian development have done as much evil as this has? Debatable. We are still not seeing any WP phones coming out this year, so our best reference will be this year's results next Jan/Feb. Even those numbers will be screwed, because of the adverse effect Elop's untimely flood of words has caused.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saldas For This Useful Post:
Sweet. Its the N900 all over again. No information.Obscure teaser videos (anyone remember the one with the guy being interrogated from the N900?). Badly handled release announcements. Ahh the bad old days.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Originally Posted by saldas View Post
Now I don't argue that given the management problem Nokia might be in even worse trouble if it stayed with Symbian. [......].
i'm just making a quick interjection in this discussion as the topic (NOKIA strategy) isn't exactly fitting in this thread...

like you posted before, Symbian is still HUGE
1'300'000'000 units
the N8 has sold about 4'000'000 units still counting
and even though that number is far from the iPotatos numbers, the numbers don't compare directly because there a many NOKIA devices but only (really) one iP device (4 right now, 3GS being the cheaper alternative which will disappear as soon as 5 comes out & 4 takes that spot)
even though the time where NOKIA was selling more Symbian devices then all the other manufacturers were selling phones together are gone, they still are the biggest company in terms of selling mobile phones.
ANDroid devices come from many different companies and not all supply a "original" version of the OS and thus can't readily be updated to newer versions. at least not without losing property features.

what am i saying?
NOKIA isn't the towering giant of the mobile phone market it once was anymore, but it is still a major player and i think the management wants to keep it that way.
even though wp7 is still a very young and immature product, m$ has the deep pockets to bear w/ it and evolve it into... well, the dominant OS of the mobile phone market. makes sense to want to be part of this, no?
i have posted before how NOKIA could actually be trying to make the WIntel platform the standard in the mobile phone market as it is in the PC market (reason why they fused Maemo w/ Moblin to make MeeGo), so that it wll be running on future mobile phone CPUs from Intel natively.

i don't remember the details but i think it was part of the agreement between m$ and NOKIA that the HW design would influence (to some extend) the OS; don't remember the details right now.

Last edited by misterc; 2011-05-24 at 14:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
@misterc

even though wp7 is still a very young and immature product, m$ has the deep pockets to bear w/ it and evolve it into... well, the dominant OS of the mobile phone market. makes sense to want to be part of this, no?
No. It would only make sense if Nokia would directly profit from Windows being their operating system (as in, sole rights to WP and no other manufacturer licencing it). As it is, Nokia is just another OEM among the rest. MS's deep pockets can only really benefit MS.

While we are at it, Symbian is a matured and stable product and Nokia also has quite deep pockets to improve it and evolve it into the dominant OS. Except they were bribed not to. I'm sorry, I don't see any sense in this whole thing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saldas For This Useful Post:
@misterc

[...] I'm sorry, I don't see any sense in this whole thing.
that's okay, no need to be sorry.
you are entitled to your opinion.
i'm myself a m$ foe of the 1st hour (started hacking w/ Linux on my home PC back in 1995...) and practically the only reason i still have a LostDOS partition on my lappy is because it is the only way to update my navigation system
thus i was very thrilled when NOKIA finally added a SIM & 3G to their MID serie (aka 770 / N8x0 and finally N900) to be able to have a Linux / GNU computer in my pocket and having a wp7 device (even from NOKIA)...
i'd rather use my N95

but, having wp7 becoming the dominant OS in mobile phone market and MeeGo being binary compatible w/ Intel CPUs would mean that NOKIA could distribute MeeGo device without having to worry about the CPU & all that stuff.
just like any PC manufacturer today can build a PC from standard parts (even CPUs from AMD, for that matter...) and put any Linux / GNU (or LostDOS if they want to) on it without having to worry about compatibility
a no-brainer...

@misterc

No. It would only make sense if Nokia would directly profit from Windows being their operating system (as in, sole rights to WP and no other manufacturer licencing it). As it is, Nokia is just another OEM among the rest. MS's deep pockets can only really benefit MS.

While we are at it, Symbian is a matured and stable product and Nokia also has quite deep pockets to improve it and evolve it into the dominant OS. Except they were bribed not to. I'm sorry, I don't see any sense in this whole thing.
That's not entirely true. Nokia will have it's own market in WP and OVI maps will change brand to Nokia maps. True Nokia maps will be licensed by all other WP phones as well, but then that's why Nokia bought Navteq for 8.1 billion couple of years ago, to widen the market. Nokia is also the only one that can customize WP.
Who knows if Nokia will example get the pleasure to get new version of WP first. Microsoft needs Nokia to make push, Nokia had other options as well.

Good to remember that when Nokia was breaking records, second most profitable tech company in the world, 63% market share etc. it was the time when Nokia owned 49% of Symbian and rest where owned by the likes of Samsung, SE and LG.
Those companies where also making Symbian phones, but because of the almost non visible edge that Nokia had on it's services it was Nokia that was dominating. Omnia HD had clearly the best hw of Symbian phones at the time, but Nokia destroyed it still and Samsu g stayed invisible in the smartphone market.

Last edited by tissot; 2011-05-24 at 21:25.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
@misterc

No. It would only make sense if Nokia would directly profit from Windows being their operating system (as in, sole rights to WP and no other manufacturer licencing it).
[...]
at its heyday (about 5 to 10 yrs ago) Symbian was practically the sole "smart phone" (even though they weren't called that yet) OS and used by all the manufacturers, Sony(-Ericsson), Motorola to name but a few as well
NOKIA was a leading force behind it, but by no mean the only one.

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
If it's dual core such as U8500, yes, it will be more than enough.
If it's just 1GHz Cortex A8, then it is over a year behind others.

Well, to me, it's not about how fast it calculates Pi.
As long as it is fast enough to not care what CPU it has, it's fine.
Regardless of whether it's 'enough' for what most people want, the majority of consumers are going to comparre specs side by side and say 'That one's better, I'm gonna get that'

Screen size, megapixels, memory, the actual real life results don't really matter to (or at least aren't going to be investigated by) a lot of people.

Make a phone that runs single core when everyone else is running dual core, and their adverts have told everyone this is better is suicide, regardless of whether that single core phone does everything four times as fast..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tedri Mark For This Useful Post:
How come Microsoft just claimed that the first device to run Mango (Windows Phone 7.1) will be a Nokia device...? From what I've heard, Mango is almost due to release, meaning Nokia must also have a new device almost really for release... Please someone tell me I'm delusional and wrong into thinking the recently FCC-acquired Nokia device will actually be a Windows Phone device...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/24/l...preview-event/

10:43AM Apparently Nokia Mango devices already exist, are already being tested, somewhere in a lab... somewhere...

Last edited by IsaacDFP; 2011-05-24 at 15:47. Reason: typo

Originally Posted by Tedri Mark View Post
Regardless of whether it's 'enough' for what most people want, the majority of consumers are going to comparre specs side by side and say 'That one's better, I'm gonna get that'

Screen size, megapixels, memory, the actual real life results don't really matter to (or at least aren't going to be investigated by) a lot of people.

Make a phone that runs single core when everyone else is running dual core, and their adverts have told everyone this is better is suicide, regardless of whether that single core phone does everything four times as fast..
Pretty much dead on, most people here understand this concept.

I think there are three different categories of (smartphone) users:

1) The real techie type (developers, programmers, Linux dudes), some people on this forum are.

2) The 'think' we are technical group, no programming experience but reasonably technical.

3) The not so technical users, 'oh I like that phone' or 'shiny shiny....' group.

Obviously there 3 > 2 > 1. Every company wants group 3 & 2, but none can survive without group 1.

It's group 1 (and possibly parts of 2) that will look past the spec! It's only group 3 that might say something along the lines:

I want a good camera so 12mp is bigger than 8mp, so i'll buy that. Not realising optics play a bigger role than megapixels.

And unfortunatley it's GROUP 3 that makes the most business sense, everyone here is saying I want the phone to do this and that, but Nokia does not really care too much about you/us, because we are in group 1/2!

Which is why Nokia have gone with MS, group 1 generally don't like them, but group 3 know nothing other than MS and Windows. Thats the way of the world. I'd love it if the N9 turns out to be a mass market device - and I expect it to outsell the N900 by a long shot, it's slimmer, sleeker and hopefully way better spec'd. But that remains to be seen.

Just remember it's group 3 thats gonna pay, so you need to make group 3 happy!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rash.m2k For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland