Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
By the way: someone above was saying they couldn't get to the Sidekick plan FROM THEIR PHONE, as if that was the end.

1. I can get to the Sidekick plan from my N900.

2. You don't have to change plans from the phone anyway. Just use a computer. I'm in Ubuntu right now, it works fine; I'm sure it would work fine from Windows 7 too.

Sorry that things can get a bit confusing in Prepaid land. That's why we don't have to pay the big bucks. Besides, I think being cheap is fun!

Originally Posted by Croman777 View Post
So if I have this correct. I can get a prepaid sidekick plan for my N900. Then use proxy servers to get around all the stuff the plan will not allow me to do?
Croman: That's pretty much correct. However, using Tor is easier than using proxies--it just works. But it can be slow.

But the big advantage of using Sidekick is that on the days you AREN'T using the Internet from Tmobile (because you are using your home wireless, for example), you can switch to other plans that aren't $1 a day like the Sidekick plan is. In other words, if you play your cards right, you can pay $1 on the days you use the Internet from Tmobile and $0 or almost $0 on the days that you aren't using the Internet from Tmobile.

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Las Vegas
I can't see the Sidekick plan either, be it on my desktop on on the phone:

If it matters I'm using Chromium on Ubuntu Lucid here, but I get the same results with MicroB on the phone.

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Houston
Originally Posted by FreeThinker View Post
I can't see the Sidekick plan either, be it on my desktop on on the phone:

If it matters I'm using Chromium on Ubuntu Lucid here, but I get the same results with MicroB on the phone.
yeah, I get the same, It used to be there but it's not anymore. I can't change to sidekick anymore...

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
get simple mobile if you are in the USA.

$60 unlimited prepay, nation-wide, on t-mo network and even allows for 3g access.

no contract.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by ceroberts75 View Post
get simple mobile if you are in the USA.

$60 unlimited prepay, nation-wide, on t-mo network and even allows for 3g access.
That may be a good deal for some, keeping in mind that "unlimited" is 1000 MB in this case, but if you weren't using more than 3 hours of voice minutes per month while on the Sidekick plan, there's a price gap there. Much of this thread has been focused on how to use Sidekick only when necessary too, which widens that gap further.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by ILikeMaemo View Post
At the bottom of that page, under 'other services available', a 'webdata hour pass' service is listed:

This appears to be new.
Did anyone else try looking into this? I was wondering for a while if I could get it working, so I grabbed my T-Mobile pre-paid SIM, tethered my laptop to the N900, connected through the regular epc.tmobile.com APN, and used User Agent Switcher with a cheap Samsung T-Mobile phone UA (SAMSUNG-SGH-T239/T239UVIC6 NetFront/3.4 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1) on my computer.

Clicked subscribe, and web worked fine, if not a little slow.

With my theory (they only scan the UA) proven, I tried browsing on my N900. Seems they noticed the user agent switch and "cancelled" the plan. No problems, I used an about:config preference to set the Samsung UA on MicroB.

Now I just get this, no matter where I browse to when using the T-Mobile access point. Shouldn't MicroB display xhtml WAP pages normally? I tried installing wmlbrowser on MicroB, but nothing changed.

So my questions are:
Anyone got any further than I did messing with this? Is my MicroB borked? And if so, how do I fix it? :P (removing the useragent pref fixes it, but then it doesn't offer the plan anymore)

(if any T-Mobile people are reading this: I know I'm probably breaking a couple TOS sections, sorry! I promise not to abuse it!)

Last edited by fwrnando; 2010-09-16 at 19:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to fwrnando For This Useful Post:
Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
Originally Posted by fwrnando View Post
So my questions are:
Anyone got any further than I did messing with this? Is my MicroB borked? And if so, how do I fix it? :P (removing the useragent pref fixes it, but then it doesn't offer the plan anymore)
Try adding

application/vnd.wap.xhtml+xml=hildon-browser.desktop

to /usr/share/applications/defaults.list

Let us know if this works.

Originally Posted by tpaixao View Post
yeah, I get the same, It used to be there but it's not anymore. I can't change to sidekick anymore...
Interesting. I STILL have Sidekick as an option. I am using Chrome, the Windows version.

The page I am on is

https://my.t-mobile.com/Plan/Prepaid/Default.aspx

What I am currently doing is paying for the $15 a month plan (on the little prepaid table) and am signed up for the ipv6 beta test (you can probably sign up for it too -- do a power search for ipv6 to find the thread explaining how).

This gives me blazingly fast internet access for $15 a month.