Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Similar size to the LG one isn't it? Not sure what to make of this size. Too big to fit into my pocket (unlike the Tab) so can't easily be carried out the house. Also too big to use lying down to surf the net or read ebooks. So real use would be when sitting down to use at home. In which case (if I don't want to use a laptop) would be better off getting a 10 inch tablet.
Here's the size difference between the LG Optimus Pad and the Galaxy Tab:

With a tiny bezel, they would be quite similar. Though in this form the 8.9" is clearly not pocketable, and you're right, a different class of device.

Though I do believe that this device could be gripped by an adult-male's hand quite easily.

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2011-02-24 at 11:47.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Anyone have any idea how to get imported m3u playlists to work? When I transfer my music and files via drag and drop to blackberry and N900 my media monkey playlists work just fine. On the Tab playlists show up on all the music player apps (other than the Samsung one) but just show up as having no songs in them.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
They've been sharing since the release of the Galaxy S.

As I understand it (could be wrong), they have to in accordance with Android OS license.
What would be nice though is if they would get on and share the source of the PowerVR kernel module, which is marked as GPL in the module properties, and for which we've requested the source.

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Anyone have any idea how to get imported m3u playlists to work? When I transfer my music and files via drag and drop to blackberry and N900 my media monkey playlists work just fine. On the Tab playlists show up on all the music player apps (other than the Samsung one) but just show up as having no songs in them.
That's strange. What player(s) are you using? I haven't tried that myself yet--I don't listen to music much, much less set up a playlist.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by lardman View Post
What would be nice though is if they would get on and share the source of the PowerVR kernel module, which is marked as GPL in the module properties, and for which we've requested the source.
It's marked as GPL? Perhaps it's time to take the requests directly to Imagination Tech.
http://www.imgtec.com/

I had just assumed that they were closed-source.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
The kernel modules are open source because they've managed to move all the useful bits up into closed user-space libraries. Qualcomm, ARM, ATi all do the same thing I believe, though only Qualcomm had the balls to try and push it on the kernel community while keeping the good stuff for themselves.

Fortunately, they were denied.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
The kernel modules are open source because they've managed to move all the useful bits up into closed user-space libraries. Qualcomm, ARM, ATi all do the same thing I believe, though only Qualcomm had the balls to try and push it on the kernel community while keeping the good stuff for themselves.

Fortunately, they were denied.
Of course, of course.. This is customary of OpenGL in general, no?

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Of course, of course.. This is customary of OpenGL in general, no?
Not customary of OpenGL, since you can get a fully open source driver stack from Intel or a software renderer via Mesa, for instance. The various video core vendors think their special sauce is actually special though, so they keep the good bits to themselves.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
This looks like a really cool keyboard!

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/02/sna...hout-keyboard/

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4f80CQKCUQ
Hmm. Seems fake or too good to be true. I may be wrong. Unless the way it works is you type where the keys would be if they were visible. In which case would only work for those who can touch type and so know where each key should be.

Has anyone accessed the new android market ebooks section? I went to the website but there was no ebooks section. Still just games and applications sections. I am wondering whether it is not available in the UK yet.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/24/a...-soon-to-come/

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy