Notices

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 83 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Paris, France
Update 11.22.10:

1.0.7 : simple gestures on the item list : swipe to right to mark item as read, and to left to mark item as unread

1.0.6 : click on the right part on an item's line in the item list to display the context menu (you can always "long press" to display it)

---------

Update 10.20.10: Gread is available in extras-devel !

---------

Update 09.14.10: some ui enhancement

A screenshot of the last version (clic to see full size):

---------

Update 09.13.10 : new version, fully rewriten (except UI).

---------

Original message, 08-18-10:

Author of the blog "nokia-n900.fr" (not very active these times) since october, but with my own n900 from a month, i decided to wrote a Google Reader application, because the only one i found and tried, grr, didn't work very well for me.

So i found a lib for google reader "libgreader", in python (my preferred language), i added a lot of stuff in it, and i chose QT as toolkit (perhaps my app will work on Meego (i am also the author of meego-os.fr) and, with an eye open to the grr source code, here is GRead.

It's a work in progress but the first step is almost reached.

The main goal is to have a Google Reader application as good as the "Newsrob" one on Android i used before having my Nokia n900.

The first step is to create an application with the basics, as we have in "grr"
The next step is to add real offline capabilities.

This firs step is currently done minus keybord shortcuts, but with many improvements:

- more settings (for interface)
- choose between feeds or labels at launch
- works too on 2G/3G (for me grr works only on wifi)
- auto-rotation
- thread for network operations
- manage auto-reconnect, detect lack of connectivity (all operations will be done when the network is available)
- allow to show original feed content in the application (using QTWebkit) or in the browser
- see more special feeds (shared and starred, but also "all", "friends", "notes"...)
- scroll long titles

There is some little bugs and lacks:

- unread count not always sync in feeds list when some item are read (without doing a resync), and specially for special feeds
- GRead does not connect the device to network, it just uses the current one
- no shortcuts yet
- no zoom in the item view
- and so on

I currently work a lot on this application,

And notice it also runs on linux out of the box (the only package needed, except PyQt, is simplejson). libgreader is included with GRead.

You can found the source code on GitHub : http://github.com/twidi/GRead

To launch GRead, simply execute the gread.py file in the src directory

PS : if i found a easy way to make a package i'll do it, i actually don't know how to do this.

PPS : i just saw the topic about grr

Last edited by Twidi; 2010-11-22 at 13:52. Reason: versions 1.0.6 & 1.0.7

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Twidi For This Useful Post:
Some screenshots :

Settings :

Feed list (mode "labels") with the "special feeds" label opened:

Same with a normal label :

The item list :

And it's menu :

And then the menu of the item view :

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twidi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
I really like what I see until now, but to do the jump from grr to yours, one feature ist missing. I need the j and k buttons to jump to the next entry otherwise its very uncomfortable.
Another thing I would change is the title of the entry in the title bar...if the headline is a long one it needs up to 3 seconds to get the meaning.
I would prefer the name of the feed along with the unread count in the title bar and the title of the feedentry under it.

Thanks for your message.

The keyboard shortcuts are really important and i will manage then asap.

For the title bar, now the scroll is faster in the lat version on github (twice).

Btw It is possible to show a message (the horizontal yellow stuff) with the title, because i am not fan of a bar under the title which will take too much place (it's always too much on small screens)

In this latest version i also enhanced the portrait mode (smoother between different windows) and the capabilities to zoom in the browser with the volume buttons.

The next thing will be i think the shortcuts (i miss then too) and then inconsistency in unread counts between the feed list and the item list.

I just pushed on github a new version with
- j (or n) and k (or p) shortcuts (more shortcuts later, i wanted to add them quickly)
- a message with the title is shown when a new item is selected

Enjoy

The Following User Says Thank You to Twidi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
Twidi, I see you use python and PyQt just like me. Ive got 2 apps (nothing fancy) in Extras-devel (see my signature), I'd gladly help you with packaging questions/issues you might have.

Let me know!

PS: and I also speak French

Applications I've made:
- Vuvuzela
- LTM: London Tube Map

The Following User Says Thank You to El Amir For This Useful Post:
I'd love to see a Google Reader app with a good desktop widget...

El Amir : thanks in advance, i will contact you when needed

thearcane : actually it's really not my priority, but later why not. You could try "greader"

Hi Twidi,

Thanks for the PM. I'm French too, so you don't need to bother with English there :-)

Although the new (forked) version of Grr is much improved and almost enough for my needs, I'm still interested in Gread:

- because it looks even better :-)

- because it's in Python so maybe I could help (although you seem far ahead of me there...)

- and especially because it might also run on Maemo4/Diablo. I still use my N810 at home and I haven't found any GR client for it, GR Mobile in the browser isn't so great...

I'll give it a try tonight and see how it goes. If it doesn't use any Mameo5-specific APIs (like the new Qt-Mobility etc.) it should work.

If you need anything else, just shout :-)

Edit: ah, and I see from the screenshots that it also has the "All" list that is lacking from Grrr... good job !

Last edited by fpp; 2010-08-19 at 18:32.

Originally Posted by Twidi View Post
PS : if i found a easy way to make a package i'll do it, i actually don't know how to do this.
Look for something called "pyPackager" by Khertan (Benoît Hervier, another Frenchman :-). That could help you.

Edit: look here first...
http://wiki.maemo.org/PyPackager