Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
one crazy irritating question ::: Will the neo900 be able to act as a bts if required with certian mordem and also dont forget about the bb5 netmoniter type of functionablity if available on some mordem

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
@biketool, nokiabot:
Phone identification based on "physical characteristics of the radio frequency hardware":
http://www.dence.de/publications/Has...tification.pdf

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
Thank you for this update. I do understand that compromises on hardware specifications will always be a possibility, but I do hope that the team finds a modem alternative that includes AWS HSDPA.
We're checking e.g this one: http://m2m.gemalto.com/tl_files/cint...t_PLS8_web.pdf
Code:
PLS8 and its variants, PLS8-E and PLS8-US, provide true
worldwide coverage and reliability even while roaming across
different wireless networks. For investment protection, PLS8
supports multi designs due to footprint compatibility with
Gemalto M2M’s 3G/GSM and CDMA Cinterion modules PHS8
and PXS8/PVS8.
It's unclear to me if there actually is a true "world-modem" PLS8 genuine, or user would have the choice (whould have to choose) between Europe PLS8-E and USa PLS8-US version only:
Code:
>> PLS8-E:
Quad Band LTE: 800/900/1800/2600 MHz, FDD-Band (20,8,3,7)
Tri Band UMTS (WCDMA): 900/1800/2100 MHz,
FDD-Band (8,3,1)
Dual Band GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 900/1800 MHz
>> PLS8-US
Quad Band LTE: 700/850/AWS(1700/2100)/1900 MHz,
FDD-Band (17,5,4,2)
Tri Band UMTS (WCDMA): 850AWS(1700/2100)/1900 MHz,
FDD-Band (5,4,2)
Quad Band GSM/GRPS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

>> LTE (FDD 3GPP Release 8/9
2x2 DL-MIMO
>> UMTS/HSPA (FDD) 3GPP Release 8
Rx diversity
>> GSM/GPRS/EDGE 3GPP Release 6
DARP/SAIC
>> SIM Application Toolkit, 3GPP release 99
>> Control via AT commands (Hayes, TS 27.007, TS 27.005)
>> Fully integrated GPS/GLONASS solution (Qualcomm
gpsOne Gen8A)
>> Supply voltage range 3.3 - 4.2 V, highly optimized
for minimal power consumption
>> Dimension: 29 × 33 × 2 mm
>> Operating Temperature Range: -40 °C to +85 °C
>> RoHS and REACH compliant, EuP support
While the footprint-continuity is fine and the dimensions (volume, height) are great, it still needs further investigations to make sure we have all the needed capabilities like wake signal on a dedicated pin, etc. Also stuff like Dual-SIM interface are unclear yet. And finally the "vapor status" of PLS8* is also unclear yet, in the end it might be no better than Option801.
Anyway the cinterion product line has nice options as well, thanks to compatible foorprint. E.G the PXS8 5band UMTS + 3band CDMA2000 + 4band GSM:
Code:
>> Five-Bands UMTS/HSPA+ (WCDMA /FDD)
(800/850/900/1900/2100 MHz)
UMTS / HSPA+, 3GPP release 6 / 7
Rx-Diversity with Equalizer (Type 3i)
Enhanced F-DPCH, DTX, DRX, SCH-IC
>> Quad-Band GSM (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
GSM / GPRS / EDGE, 3GPP release 99 / 4
Improved SAIC
>> Triple Band CDMA2000, Bands: BC0/BC1 &
BC10 subclass 2+3 (800/1900MHz), 3GPP2: 1xAdvanced,
EV-DO Rev. A, QLIC, Rx-Diversity, Equalizer
Telit is another product line we're looking into.

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-10-20 at 05:20.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I haven't had a chance to participate in this thread at all so far, nor the time to read all of the posts (i occasionally jump in in the middle (wherever TMO decides is the oldest 'new' post for me in this thread) and read over a few pages, so maybe this is no longer relevant but:

I would strongly prefer the Neo900 not be any thicker than the N900. I voted in the 700 range if I recall correctly, but the amount of money I'd be willing to pay would likely decrease, and not by a little, if the device was any thicker. I mean, sure, another matchstick worth of thickness isn't too bad, but besides the thickness increase, I for one am also very much hoping to transition to one of Estel's aluminum body replacements when those are ready, and I would absolutely hate to have to sacrifice one for the other.

I'd rather pay the cost overhead with the thinner, more expensive components than grow the thickness. (Edit: and obviously I can't speak for anyone else, but I suspect I am not the only one who feels this way.) (Edit 2: I am also, personally, completely fine with transitioning to Micro-SIM from full-sized SIM. T'is the way of the future and all that.)

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2013-10-20 at 07:45.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I mean, sure, another matchstick worth of thickness isn't too bad, but besides the thickness increase, I for one am also very much hoping to transition to one of Estel's aluminum body replacements when those are ready, and I would absolutely hate to have to sacrifice one for the other.
The one will not conflict with the other. Our planned extension is compatible with every case that fits for N900. You might have a hard work ahead to extend the hole for USB receptacle, when the case is made from titanium or V2A or glass. The rest is a non-issue. Antennae of Neo900 will fail in a alu case just like the ones of N900

For the more expensive but smaller components: simply not available, the choice is like "use a modem module (height 2.1mm) for 150EUR" vs "use a small chipset (height 1mm) for 50EUR and get the cert and calib done for 500EUR per device, on a batch of 1000" - development not included. Since Nokia has own labs and own calibration tools at fab line and own modem chipset and builds batches of 100k rather than 0.5k, of course for them the chipset option is waaay cheaper, and thus no module fits into the original N900 mechanical design.
Even when you were willing to pay those additional 400EUR for the Neo900, we would need another 999 users also willing to pay 400EUR more just to get rid of the extension. I really would adore to go that direction, but I doubt it will fly.

/j

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-10-20 at 16:18.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
The one will not conflict with the other. Our planned extension is compatible with every case that fits for N900.
Well, that's great to hear. Well, so be it then, I wish it could be the thin chipset rather than the slightly-less-thin module, but I understand the price difference and how seriously less feasible with the project's limited resources it is.

So that is a certainty now, as I understand it? That the Neo900 will be a couple millimeters thicker than the N900?

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Even when you were willing to pay those additional 400EUR for the Neo900, we would need another 999 users also willing to pay 400EUR more just to get rid of the extension. I really would adore to go that direction, but I doubt it will fly.
How I wish I was filthy rich. If I had that kind of money at my disposal I'd fund the entire thing in a heartbeat.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
So that is a certainty now, as I understand it? That the Neo900 will be a couple millimeters thicker than the N900?
Somewhere around ~2 mm AFAIK. Exact value will probably depend on used modem module and some other stuff not fixed in stone yet, but it shouldn't be much thicker than that at the end.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Will you also provide leather cases etc for a 2 mm thicker device?

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Will you also provide leather cases etc for a 2 mm thicker device?
Yes, made from frog leather by tibetan virgins. Costs only slightly more than the Neo900 itself ;-D
Pun aside, it's actually annoying for stuff like otterbox etc. That's why we are not exactly happy with the solution, will try to keep it as low as possible and maybe eventually find a way to avoid it completely, who knows. It depends on how development and sourcing will pan out. When tomorrow somebody offers a LTE multiband modem with 15mm*15mm*1.2mm we might rethink the design completely.

/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-10-20 at 14:05.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
As long as they Eleutherodactylus leoni or some other endengered species.

I was being serious. I bid 300€ - later increasing to 550€ - under the understanding that Neo900 would be a drop-in replacement for N900. My current cases won't accommodate a thicker device and I doubt I can buy a fitting one on eBay.

The whole project started as, "N900 with more RAM and faster CPU". Would getting back to that without all the extra features not get us back to the drop-in replacement goal?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!