Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Sure, when we alter the body, alter the sliding mechanism, alter the keymat, alter the PCB accordingly, then basically everything is possible. What's NOT possible: that we alter any of the above, except for PCB but that's determined by the other parts.
I know you guys don't alter case.

And I still fail to see how software is related, we don't have T1000 metal that can change the mechanical properties by a command from software side ;-)
I am aware that T1000 metal doesn't exist (unfortunately ), but I always thought that on mobile devices the keyboard was integrated in such a way that you can not just change keyboard and plugin a different one like on pc without writing drivers for it.
Guess I was wrong?

The 5-row kbd shown is a prototype for the GTA04 and not intended to get used for Neo900, except for the dome switch springs.
Of course you're free to casemod your Neo900 all the way you like, and connecting whatever kbd you like is no problem, neither hw side nor sw.
And I assume there is some kind of connector for it?
Yes, I am not very technical in these kind of things. Should have chosen Electrical Engineering instead of Aerospace I geuss
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
maemo is a standard linux in that (as pretty much all) regard. You can smply plug in any standard PC USB keyboard.
Without thorough EE knowledge connecting a kbd the same way the internal hw kbd is connected - via I2C - is probably going to get tough. You need to design such thing on your own. An option to hook up I2C hw extensions will be available anyway, unclear yet if it will be a plug or just solderpads.

/j

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Forgive me, but am I the first to mention Google/ Motorola Mobility "Project Ara"?

Don't worry, I'm still getting my Neo900, I don't like Android.

sorry, this is not related or relevant for Neo900. And you won't see anything hitting reality from it either. Please don't continue on this, it's really OT in this thread. Google for phonebloks

/j

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
A question on shipping options:
You said customers can either buy the board alone or a complete device.
Will something in between be possible if you know it in advance?

The reason is that my backup N900s both have German keyboards which I find unbearable. I plan to use one of the cases for the Neo900 board, so if I want to keep my primary N900 the way it is I'll have to find a backlit English keyboard somewhere (preferably two, just in case).
Since you'll have to source all the parts for the complete devices anyway that someone I'm looking for could be you if it doesn't cause you too much logistic overhead.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
A question on shipping options:
You said customers can either buy the board alone or a complete device.
Will something in between be possible if you know it in advance?

The reason is that my backup N900s both have German keyboards which I find unbearable. I plan to use one of the cases for the Neo900 board, so if I want to keep my primary N900 the way it is I'll have to find a backlit English keyboard somewhere (preferably two, just in case).
Since you'll have to source all the parts for the complete devices anyway that someone I'm looking for could be you if it doesn't cause you too much logistic overhead.
We'll see what can get done regarding that locale specific part. Please mention it again when we ask our customers to specify what exactly they want to order.

Thanks for bringing it up
cheers
jOERG

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-11-26 at 15:35.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Oh btw make play live board has 1GB RAM but I'm not sure of other specs (pins, required voltage, etc). Maybe you could ask them about it?

The Following User Says Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
hardly since what we need costs 50% of what they *sell*, and also we don't even have the same ARM core.
Thanks anyway
/j

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
by the way ,will the boards be available(without case) ? how much will it costs ? i want to get in this boat (saving money) but i don"t want to trash my n900 , and 700 euro represents a big amount of money.
I don"t think that i"m the only one thinking like that.
CSSU-T latest version

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 263 times | Joined on Nov 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Alecsandru View Post
will the boards be available(without case) ? how much will it costs ? i want to get in this boat (saving money) but i don"t want to trash my n900
You can choose between board and complete device.

The estimated 500-700EUR are for the board, not for the whole device.

The Following User Says Thank You to rasmarc For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!