Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Perhaps there will be a new coding competition in several weeks and I wonder what kind of useful applications are there still missing at the N900.
Note:
Even if you are a good programmer... sometimes the problem is simply the lack of a good idea. And for this I created this thread. Simply to try to inspire some developer as soon as the competition starts.
We have plenty of useful and outstanding applications. But do they cover all needs? What is missing?

And I don't talking about joke applications like a Coffee cooking App, X-Ray body scanner or a iPhone fart app.

No, I'm hunting for great, outstanding and practical ideas.
Perhaps a N900 parking assist system if something like this could be possible without expensive external Hardware. (I couldn't imagine myself but perhaps someone has a great idea how to implement this - signal transit time from earspeaker to microphone or something like this?)

So please. Post here what you would like to see in the future at your favorite Maemo / MeeGo Device (N900 and his successors). Perhaps a gifted developer would like the Idea too.

Edit:
And please, take some effort to describe exactly about what you're talking. And don't throw only names of some applications in this forum that nobody knows what this application could do. Thanks.

Wiki Pages:
Community wish-list
Applications you wish were ported from other platforms

Last edited by Helmuth; 2011-01-14 at 09:51.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 330 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ saudi arabia
N900 lacks of apps that let comunicate to people and friends and the world! it lacks of communication applications!!

i would want on my N900:

steam client for game community,
ventrilo app
team speak app.
battlefield badcompany 2 status widget show my rank and other inof.
better MSN app!!
better SKYPE app!!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lolloo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
I already posted so many ideas on the forum (or at least that is how the past feels in my memory), kinda a lot of work to try to find all the threads and evaluate each idea on whether it goes over the "just a toy" threshold...

Web forums isn't really the best format for such things to start with; i've head a good experience using Jira, it worked well for classifying and organizing issues and ideas as well as for discussing them (though perhaps it still won't help ideas spread when there are lots of them flying around, people still gotta go around telling others to go read the stuff they want more people to be aware off), i know Jira isn't open and stuff, but i haven't really dealt much with any competitors and alternatives, the few i did use was just very rarelly, they felt clumsier and less streamlined, but it could be just lack of practice on my side (and perhaps on the operators too)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Sync possibility with nix Evolution package and the like.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
1. The cool new app Hivemind could use further development.

2. I think that an app that would read, say, a newspaper article (or anything else in a clipboard buffer) aloud is possible but not completely implemented yet. A good voice is not so easy and I don't think there is one now, but even a crappy voice, which does exist, is better than nothing.

3. I'm using the 9-screen setup made possible by Matan's modified Hildon desktop, but an app that made the whole thing even easier to set up would probably be welcomed.

4. I wonder if an easier way to flash could be implemented? Maybe without using a PC, so people with broken USBs could use it. I'm sure that anyone who did so would be worshipped by some.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
My 2 most wished for apps are (in no particular order)

A dedicated forum app like forum runner
Something that would allow me to read all my digital subscriptions that currently require Zinio Reader. Not sure if this is possible as I suspect it is closed source?

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgedemon For This Useful Post:
Not very useful, but fun and a 2nd proof of concept:
3D-image creator from the front and back camera (with LED light on) would be nice to have also as with iPhone's Trimensional (and this).

Offline speech recognizing type-method, dictionary and word translation would be a killer.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I miss only a shazam app.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
@instinctiv has shazam included

The Following User Says Thank You to Turkishflavor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridgeshire, UK
A simple decent GUI compression utility to handle the common windows/unix (and maybe Mac) formats - at the very least just be able to open a ZIP file without having to go into a console window and type the command in! That'd do me!!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to stopgap For This Useful Post:

Tags
applications, coding, competition, ideas, nokia n900