Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by P@t View Post
I am missing something like a geographic alarm: to sound when approaching a specific address/place.
gpsrecorder, gps-data-logger and gpsjinni could have that feature.
gpsrecorder, I think, is somewhat actively developed still and supports both GPS_location and cellID based location (?).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 84 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Leeds, UK
I find that apps that are endorsed by companies are always missing from Maemo. they are usually on IPhone, Android and Blackberry, but I've never seen Maemo. Gok Wan's app, myFittnessPal, banking apps, rightmove, sky+ etc. We never get a look in on those! I'm seriously considering running Nitroid just to get the apps. Not skilled in that area at all so it scareds me half to death, but I'm getting sick of it!

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ sofia, bulgaria
I'm missing

* OVI maps as in S^3 devices (with voice guides and OVI sync)
* PPTP vpn (I know it is possible with custom kernels, but I don't want to change my kernel)
* stable call recorder - Recaller needs some improvements to become such.
* Kindle
* wellness diary or similar, that could manage my diet, calories etc...
* sports tracker
* RememberTheMilk - native one

The Following User Says Thank You to lidow For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
For those interested, two existing wiki pages on this topic
http://wiki.maemo.org/Applications_y...ther_platforms
http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_wish-list

Is there an alternative way we should organize this material? Most open source developers scratch an itch but sometimes will implement what is desired. Also some better organization of this information could give ideas for commercial apps.

Things I would expect in an alternate way of organizing
  • Wishlist
  • Voting
  • Alternatives Listed
  • For ports, marking of challenges, whether it be in dependencies, hw capability, or interface
  • Ranking based on Voting and status of alternatives, porting capability

Thoughts?

EDIT: Added ports comment

Last edited by epage; 2011-01-12 at 16:18.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Two ideas I've had for small apps:

1. If the alarm D-bus signals allow it, I'd like a small, non-GUI application that registers itself to be called anytime the alarm goes off. Once called, the application would for a short time monitor the accelerometer for, say, a triple tap on the device. If the triple tap came, the application would dismiss the alarm. Otherwise, the app would simply close itself.

This would allow me to easily dismiss alarms while my N900 remains in my pocket. I'd appreciate that option each time it reminds me of an appointment to which I'm already driving.

2. I'd like a addition to the status menu with several buttons, a bit like the Simple Brightness Applet. However, instead of various brightness levels, the buttons on this new applet would be for different units of time, perhaps 1/2 hr, 1 hr, 1-1/2 hrs, 2 hrs, and 2-1/2 hrs. Tapping one of the times would immediately switch the phone from General profile to Silent profile and register an event with alarmd the selected amount of time in the future. The alarmd event, when it arrived, would prompt the applet to switch back to the General profile.

This would allow the phone to autimatically return to it's normal, useful, noisy self after being curtious during events such as meetings, movies, and dates.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by boggiano View Post
1- Serious Datebook (like DateBk5 for PalmOS)
2- A great database manager (HandBase for PalmOS)

I could die happy with them... taking my n900 in the coffin!
100% agreed.
Those are the two things I miss in the 'smart' phones currently available. In particular none of them have a really useable DateBook style application (the type of thing that freed us from pen & paper diaries 15 years ago - it seems odd that 'smart' phones have taken such a giant leap backwards in this regard, when they were supposed to merge the capabilities of PDAs and make them obsolete).

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
stock quotes as a widget.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
a) I have already suggested an enhanced contacts app but didn't get much buzz around it. I really think a lot of limitations could be easily bypassed

b) Better backup. E.g., a backup application that saves user data (contacts, call logs, calendar items, etc) in a human readable format and back. This allows for partial error recovery and data merging. This could be scheduled for repeated backups.

c) If at all possible, a call UI replacement. An app could launch over the phone app and allow for slide to answer, slide to hang up, bigger pictures, animated call portraits, all kinds of neat stuff. Don't know how viable it is, but I assume that is an app like espeakcaller can be launched on call and phone speaker switcher can switch speakers then an UI app could launch and send over answer, hang up, etc.

d) Of course, games. I'd kill for a good tower defense game. After I got the new Android I didn't put it down for days.

Also, L2TP couldn't hurt.

ETA: Uuuuu, handwriting recognition.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Last edited by ndi; 2011-01-12 at 21:09.

Posts: 552 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Not decided
I am missing a fine twitter client. All I tried are unusable and missing features. I m waiting this for a long time but no luck. Something like tweetdeck would be great.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anapospastos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 330 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ saudi arabia
I have servers for games
Battlefield badcompany 2, Left4dead, left4dead2, Leadandgold, AliensVSpredator.

I would like to see a widget or an app to check the server and how many players and the ping of the servers.

since ANDROID has these kinds of apps a while now. why cant N900 has it too?

also, Hotfile Client app to download and upload like DropBox, or atleast rapidshare client for upload and download.

better MSN client,
we need widgets that shows your status in many games and your ranks.

N900 is crap when it comes to communication and sharing with friends and gamers.

Tags
applications, coding, competition, ideas, nokia n900