Active Topics

Originally Posted by vivmak View Post
Has anyone got an idea for an app that I could steal to develop in QT?
perhaps an app for:
- erase/remove fully all files wich stays after you juste remove them.

- optimize and simplify Dbus-switchboard

- an app for skydrive.live (windows cloudstorage) or for "ubuntu one" to get access to our personal cloud dashboard. this last one will be very kool.

sorry for my bad and poor english guys.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kayamagan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
I'm looking forward to taking part again this year !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Please also consider spreading the word...
Last time there was some moaning afterwards, because not everyone knew about the competition.
Also it is good for you, because more coverage means more developers means more apps means probably higher quality apps because of the competitors..

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Ah, great!

Wonderful timing...
I just realized last weekend that my Idea, I had several weeks ago for a status bar applet, is not feasible using Qt. And I have learned exactly this (C++ and Qt) since the last competition.

Very frustrating.
Perhaps this Competition is the thing I need to motivate myself again. I will look into it again and try it using Python and GTK. But I'm at the moment not very happy about the fact that I have to do it this way.

I hope I will have a other brilliant Idea until the first of April... But great that our famous first coding competition gets a successor.

I have only one small complain about the naming. Am I correct that this is the only and single Maemo/MeeGo Coding Competition this year? If yes this is sad and if not, you have failed and Naming it Maemo Coding Competition #2 would be a better idea. (okay, just kidding - perhaps in 4 months you will swear that this was the first and last competition this year)

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Stickied! Thanks for taking the lead on this zehjotkah!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Well, considering that newbie-bashing is a growing worldwide trend, I'm frightened to ask, but still I'll press forward with this one:

I, err, want to learn how to code. Is there a good place to start learning? What languages should I pick and how should I start? Is it likely that I'll learn enough to participate in the competition?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to number41 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by number41 View Post
Well, considering that newbie-bashing is a growing worldwide trend, I'm frightened to ask, but still I'll press forward with this one:

I, err, want to learn how to code. Is there a good place to start learning? What languages should I pick and how should I start? Is it likely that I'll learn enough to participate in the competition?
Don't be frightened-- outright newbie-bashing isn't welcome here.

I would recommend learning C++ or Java and a scripting language or three. Javascript, Python, and PHP are a few big ones. There are plenty of free development environments like Qt and Eclipse.

If you have zero coding experience, you have your work cut out for you. I won't try to discourage you from trying this contest but you would have some experienced competition. If you pick things up quickly, who knows! The single best talent for coding in general is a strong sense of logic. Got it? Go for it!

Last edited by Texrat; 2011-03-29 at 00:25.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by number41 View Post

We'll have a Beginners category this year, too. Only first time maemo/MeeGo devs are allowed to submit their app there, so go ahead!
Inside this category the competition shouldn't be too hard for you.

Thanks for participating!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Is everyone okay with the following categories?

Beginner
Business & Office
Desktop
Games
Graphics & Multimedia
Location & Navigation
Other
System & Utilities

Please participate in the discussion. If you don't, you won't have the right to say afterwards that something should have been done in a different way...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
I think "Desktop" is too general.
What about a category for "network" applications (twitter/chat ...)
And what about game emulators. (like PSX4M, I didn't like that it was in Games category last competition).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:

Tags
coding, community, competition, contest, development, intel, meego, meetmeego, nokia