Active Topics

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
I think "Desktop" is too general.
What about a category for "network" applications (twitter/chat ...)
And what about game emulators. (like PSX4M, I didn't like that it was in Games category last competition).
Agreed! Emulators or game managers are not real games, but applications to run other games.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Here are my proposals (sorry for double posting but that way more people will read...):

- A LinkedIn application.
There are tons of Facebook and Twitter applications. If you want to go to Social Networks, try to develop something new.

- A video editor application.
There is nothing related with this subject for the N900.

- An application to apply different effects to pictures.
There are two main applications to photo editing.
Ansel-A is a powerful editor but lacks simple effect to be applied by noob users.
Classic Print is nice and easy to use but only one predefined effect exists. An improved version would be appreciated (I have asked it to the original author before) with more predefined effects.
There are lots of applications for this purpose in Android and iOS that apply funny or useful effects to pictures.

- A good comic viewer.
Actually there are two comic viewers, cbrPager and Comix, none of them finger friendly and not fully featured. Apply finger friendly gestures for zooming and full screen, some suggestions here.
You can try to improve one of them or port an existing one like QComicBook.

- An archive manager.
Current existing ones are not finger friendly. You can try to improve Xarchiver or FileRoller (both GTK) or port Ark from KDE.

- Improve existing applications with a nicer GUI more finger friendly.
Some that I remember and that very useful: QStarDict (here you can see some suggestions), OpenSubtitles,

- A good looking Image viewer.
With 3D effects for categorizing folders of pictures like the QML demo for Flickr, nice transitions (cover flow) etc.

- A nice, feature rich, PDF viewer.
You could try to port Okular from KDE, apply finger friendly gestures for zooming and full screen, book page flipping effects, etc.

As an inspiration, take a look at other awesome applications for the N900 with very good looking GUIs like Someplayer or CuteTube.

Last edited by ivgalvez; 2011-03-31 at 10:10.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
If you're planning events in your Local MeeGo Network during the timeframe of the Competition, please add them to the Wiki:
http://wiki.maemo.org/MeeGo_Coding_C...on_2011#Events

If you would like to propose your application idea, please update the Wiki:
http://wiki.maemo.org/MeeGo_Coding_C...ation_proposal

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2011-03-29 at 10:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
Is everyone okay with the following categories?

Beginner
Business & Office
Desktop
Games
Graphics & Multimedia
Location & Navigation
Other
System & Utilities
What about a "Fun" category?

There are lots of useless but often advertised typical iPhone Applications (iFart, drink a beer with you phone, breast enlargement apps) - they are not really Games and it would be unfair to compare it with those. Exactly the same like a Port of a Emulator was unfair to compare with a real and fresh created game.

And I would like to vote for a "network" categorie, too. A Twitter or facebook Application is not really Business & Office related.

Perhaps we could remove the Desktop categorie?
Were there apps inside the last time that was not able to put them into other sections?

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
What about a "Fun" category?

And I would like to vote for a "network" categorie, too. A Twitter or facebook Application is not really Business & Office related.

Perhaps we could remove the Desktop categorie?
Were there apps inside the last time that was not able to put them into other sections?
check the wiki page from the maemo coding competition:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Coding_C...1#Participants

How about these?

Beginner
Business & Office
Desktop (Widgets)
Fun
Graphics & Multimedia
Location & Navigation
Network
System & Utilities

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2011-03-29 at 10:48.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Mmh, I would call it "Network & Communication"

Edit: Oh, I thought about a additional Fun category. Not as a replacement for Games.

Last edited by Helmuth; 2011-03-29 at 11:42.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Beginner
Business & Office
Desktop (Widgets)
Fun
Games
Graphics & Multimedia
Location & Navigation
Network & Communication
System & Utilities

Okay, then we'll just add a flight + accomodation to the MeeGo Conference in November...
But nine categories is really the limit...

Is someone *against* a additional "Fun" category or would like to add another category instead?

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2011-03-29 at 11:54.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Okay, then we'll just add a flight + accomodation to the MeeGo Conference in November...
Oh, okay. That's concerning to my missing foresight.

But if this is easily doable my intervention was a big success for the competition and especially for all the developers. (I need a smiley with a halo here, fast!)

But nine categories is really the limit...
Yes, I tought we could remove the Desktop category. But after reading last years wiki you're probably right.
I thought we could put "Queen Beecon" into "System and Utilities", "MyContacts" into "Office", and so on... but I don't know if this is already a good idea.

For some Applications its anyway hard to categorize. At example we need in my opinion at the Application Manager a extra category especially for Themes.

Will the programmers itself select the category when they join the competition or will someone sort it into the correct category before the voting begins?

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Will the programmers itself select the category when they join the competition or will someone sort it into the correct category before the voting begins?
They will choose the category, but everyone should keep an eye on that. Before the voting process starts we'll check if every app is in a reasonable category, so that it is not possible to cheat by choosing the category with the lowest competition.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
They will choose the category, but everyone should keep an eye on that. Before the voting process starts we'll check if every app is in a reasonable category, so that it is not possible to cheat by choosing the category with the lowest competition.
And how to avoid that they will create from the beginning a application that fits in just such a category?
Okay, just Kidding. I understand your reasoning. And because of this I have asked.

Perhaps we should start a small Voting thread about this to check if really everyone is agreed?
I'm not sure. The last time there was a small annoying discussion about this kind of decisions. It's not because of me, in my opinion the last word has anyway the organizer! (he has to do all the effort)

And what about the emulators?
Nicolai, any ideas?
I don't like it in the games category, too. Is this something for the "Others" category? It fits to good into games. But it's hard to compare "normal games" to a "100000 games in one application". Should we add a handicap for Game Emulators? (I don't like this idea, but perhaps?)

We should nail down the categories before the 1st of April, or not?

There are still other questions in my mind - voting process - is this nailed down?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:

Tags
coding, community, competition, contest, development, intel, meego, meetmeego, nokia