Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by mikelima View Post
On the other hand, they say they will reimburse/replace the device if it is dead on arrival, and they will actually try to support it anyway, in a best effort kind of way. That is what I read between the lines of the various statements I have read.
They explicitly state Jolla C will be theyr reference device from now on:

Jolla C users are guaranteed to receive all the latest Sailfish OS updates, and selected users will be invited to test also beta OS releases. Jolla C is the official Sailfish OS reference device and used by Jolla developers.
Here.

If any negativity necessary, would it not make more sense to read between the lines that Jolla 1 will not be further optimized due to 1GB limitation? Not saying it will be dropped and not recieve feature updates but getting less attention.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
If any negativity necessary, would it not make more sense to read between the lines that Jolla 1 will not be further optimized due to 1GB limitation? Not saying it will be dropped and not recieve feature updates but getting less attention.
That, would be worrying (but not surpricing).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Veraendert View Post
I am totally sure that the device will arrive in July. I am a tad uncertain whether it will be in 2017 or 2018 though.

Anyway. The fact that in a couple of hours 1k ppl were willing to spend money on a device even though they can neither be certain if it will ever arrive nor if it works if it does shows that there is a market for handheld devices that run Linux.

Don´t get me wrong: I really hope things work out this time.
I am quite sure that device will come and it will work.
This because it seems to be the Intex phone which is already made. And I even think that both Jolla C and Intex phone would be out allready without dual-sim problems and Jolla financing issues.

Market is there. At least 1000 persons in Europe.
But if Jolla would go fully open source to European/US markets it might be even 2000 or couple more.
And leave Russia build their own version on top of sailfish which should help problem solving on open parts...

Well if Jolla can survive long enough it and reach proper stability for key features / some native key apps more (my need is already covered but some people still use watsapp?) it still has a chance.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KylliOrvokki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
The warranty is still applicable. Developers, none developers, whatever, money is paid, so they are required to pay attention to any warranty issues. Also, they are selling this on a shop, so, they are obligated to follow consumer laws, not only in EU, but in each country they are shipping to.
Yes, but if you check your order, you did not order a device, you ordered a "SAILFISH COMMUNITY DEVICE PROGRAM".

As such, they may get away without a warranty. Clearly they think they can. And they are not selling to the general public, nor they want to.

There were people willing to order the Intex phones from India. Do you think Intex would honor a warranty from a country they do not sell to?

Jolla is simply making it easier for those people to get the devices.

In any case, it would probably too much a a hassle to litigate this than it would be worth spending.

I kind of understand it too - setting up warranty service is expensive, and they are probably waiting for the Jolla 1 support to expire, and focus on the software business.

Also, I suppose a lot of warranty service "repairs" calls are actually due to software bugs, or the user managing to corrupt the flash.

for software bugs, there is nothing to do other than report the problem and wait for a software update, anyway, and as long as we can reflash the phone on our own, I am good.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikelima View Post
Yes, but if you check your order, you did not order a device, you ordered a "SAILFISH COMMUNITY DEVICE PROGRAM".

As such, they may get away without a warranty. Clearly they think they can. And they are not selling to the general public, nor they want to.

There were people willing to order the Intex phones from India. Do you think Intex would honor a warranty from a country they do not sell to?

Jolla is simply making it easier for those people to get the devices.

In any case, it would probably too much a a hassle to litigate this than it would be worth spending.

I kind of understand it too - setting up warranty service is expensive, and they are probably waiting for the Jolla 1 support to expire, and focus on the software business.

Also, I suppose a lot of warranty service "repairs" calls are actually due to software bugs, or the user managing to corrupt the flash.

for software bugs, there is nothing to do other than report the problem and wait for a software update, anyway, and as long as we can reflash the phone on our own, I am good.
1. They are selling to general public, despite calling it a 'community' program.- community is, by definition public!

2. If shops in India is selling to EU countries, they are required to adhere to warranty regulations withing EU, otherwise, they should (can) not sell to people in EU.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/community

Simple Definition of community
: a group of people who live in the same area (such as a city, town, or neighborhood)
: a group of people who have the same interests, religion, race, etc.
: a group of nations

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Some more official statements from Juhani this morning.
https://cdn.jolla.com/wp-content/upl...6_FINAL_72.pdf

Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
That, would be worrying (but not surpricing).
The shift to 2.0 ui brought some obvious unresolved oom problems.
I think it is much more work to optimze for 1GB compared to simply declaring 2GB to be the reference.

Last edited by mosen; 2016-05-27 at 09:55.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by KylliOrvokki View Post
This because it seems to be the Intex phone which is already made.
I really hope i´m wrong, but if that Intex phone was ready, we could buy it by now. With warranty if we buy it in India.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Veraendert For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by KylliOrvokki View Post
This because it seems to be the Intex phone which is already made.
How do you know it has already been made?

Besides, I would also like to throw in the little fact that the Jolla tablet had also been already made before the fiasco

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Yes you have guarantee if you buy it from India. But you'll get the shipping costs have paid themselves. Maybe return shipping cost too. The next problem is that you can buy just about Snapdeal. Snapdeal dont Sent or sold any goods outwards. You need an agent or we have trusted contacts. I think the warranty processing is simply annoying and difficult or costly.

e.g DHL Germany
Send a 2KG package to India with issue only 50€ (more is not possible) cost 18,99€
Send a 5KG package to India with issue 500€ cost 42,99€

Last edited by cvp; 2016-05-27 at 10:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Veraendert View Post
I really hope i´m wrong, but if that Intex phone was ready, we could buy it by now. With warranty if we buy it in India.
The problem a warranty from India is little better than none. Not that one from Finland would be much better...

You still need to pay from shipping to and from India, wait for the shipping in addition to the time of repairing...

If you are concerned about warranty, only buy a device at a local store.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla c, sailfish os