Active Topics

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Hello!

I am about to buy an n900 and i have a few questions

Does the touch screen mouse in DOSBox work well yet?

How well does Theme Hospital work under DOS?

OpenRA, does it run well and is it playable?

what do you reccomend as the first things to install to make the phone a better exprerience?

Thanks,
Paul

Posts: 171 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, uk
Originally Posted by Nipperoid View Post

what do you reccomend as the first things to install to make the phone a better exprerience?
fMMS as you can't send MMS straight out of the box
rootsh for root access
Tweakr so you can edit various options and save more profiles than the standard 2
Petrovich for easy media sharing to fb, flickr etc
FMboost to boost power output of FMtransmitter
gPodder and Pannuci for downloading and managing podcasts
Mediabox as it's better than the built in player
Conky so you can look at rootfs (and aviod filling it!) and other system info
Autodisconnect to manage connection disconnects and save battery
BatteryGraph (or Battery Eye) to help see how efficent your battery is...

That's my list at the moment - I'm sure others will offer different opionions....

The Following User Says Thank You to zail For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Cellular Modem Buttons - Allows you to turn on/off the GSM radio at will to save battery.
AdBlock Plus - disables ads, which could take away loading times on websites.

You can run Windows 95 on DOSbox, so I'd assume the mouse works fine.

OpenRA is still in development, try searching the forums for more information.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

The Following User Says Thank You to xomm For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your help

when i plug my n900 into USB, do i see whe whole file system or just mydocs? how would i go about accessing RootFS via usb? is it possible?

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
Thanks for your help

when i plug my n900 into USB, do i see whe whole file system or just mydocs? how would i go about accessing RootFS via usb? is it possible?
No, you don't see the whole file system via USB (or at least I don't). For that I found the OpenSSH Server works very well with a GUI-based SSH Client on my Mac (Cyberduck)

The Following User Says Thank You to kjmackey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
It only shows MyDocs when you plug it in.

You could access the rest of the filesystem via Terminal or PCMan File Manager on Easy Debian. (both on the N900 itself)

Accessing rootfs is not possible by default via usb. Again, however, it is possible to find using PCMFM on Easy Debian.

The N900 only mounts MyDocs to the computer when it's plugged in, but I'm not sure if there's a hack around that.

Edit: kjmackey beat me to an answer, and yeah, using SSH with a GUI is another way.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

The Following User Says Thank You to xomm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Does the touch screen mouse in DOSBox work well yet?
Define 'well'. It's never going to work reliably for any game without some time of manual adjusting, and might even be impossible depending on the game.

How well does Theme Hospital work under DOS?
Being a Win95-era game, I wouldn't even try it. You might have more luck with CorsixTH, but as it is now...

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-03-09 at 00:24. Reason: fix quote

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
OK thanks, anybody know a good screen protector for n900? one that preserves the feel of the screen as much as possible??

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ England
zaggy.... mate from work has one. it does make phone screen a bit sticky tho. personally i just use a sock case. although. if i hold my phone at the right angle and get the sun on it i can see slight marks on my screen. only had it two weeks. imagine that after a year or 2..... does anyone feel that they have something stuck on the end of the stylus sometimes?

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
Originally Posted by sajman View Post
does anyone feel that they have something stuck on the end of the stylus sometimes?
Yes, that is dust and it causes the very fine scratches some people are complaining about. A screen protector is really ideal, since in the worst case scenario it can be easily replaced.