Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
so still SOON then!

No Dancing Dave999 yet

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
As expected: only vague words about tabletgate.
So let this thread continue ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
As expected: only vague words about tabletgate.
So let this thread continue ...
I hope so .. It is so much fun!

it seems to me that this statement is saying that sfos development and roadmap about licensing will go on, while for tablet, solutions havent be decided yet. (even if antti seemed to be sure that in some way with money or tab deliveries this issue will be solved, SOON)

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
it seems to me that this statement is saying that sfos development and roadmap about licensing will go on, while for tablet, solutions havent be decided yet. (even if antti seemed to be sure that in some way with money or tab deliveries this issue will be solved, SOON)
Yup. I would guess that this means their new investor is quite interested in the Sailfish OS, but has no interest in the tablets.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Yup. I would guess that this means their new investor is quite interested in the Sailfish OS, but has no interest in the tablets.
Could be me - although I backed the tablet.

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Compared with yesterday IRC logs, the news item is that there seem to be some new partner in the Russian area.

We already knew that the tablet decision was already postponed until after Christmas, so it is no surprise on that part.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I'm trying to sort this out by simply considering the economics side of things. I'm sure the facts have been mentioned elsewhere here but could someone provide the following information.

1)To complete all the orders (production and delivery), what would be the typical cost per tablet to Jolla?

2)What was the typical amount paid to Jolla per tablet?

Then try to figure out how does Jolla come out ahead.

1)Blow off everything concerned with the tablet (i.e. no refund no tablet). It's done and over. Move on and let the chips fall where they may.
2)Refund everybody
3)Produce and deliver all tablets
4)Allow choice of refund or tablet.

Choice 1 is hopefully unlikely but you never know.
Anyway, assuming the money exists,
If it costs less to produce and mail out the tablets than to refund everyone Jolla may want to proceed with choice 3 Otherwise they might want to give out the refund and move on. If they chose 3 or 4 then the other thing to consider is that if the tablets are distributed they are presumably committed to providing some support which comes with its headaches...

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
I'm trying to sort this out by simply considering the economics side of things. I'm sure the facts have been mentioned elsewhere here but could someone provide the following information.

1)To complete all the orders (production and delivery), what would be the typical cost per tablet to Jolla?

2)What was the typical amount paid to Jolla per tablet?

Then try to figure out how does Jolla come out ahead.

1)Blow off everything concerned with the tablet (i.e. no refund no tablet). It's done and over. Move on and let the chips fall where they may.
2)Refund everybody
3)Produce and deliver all tablets
4)Allow choice of refund or tablet.

Choice 1 is hopefully unlikely but you never know.
Anyway, assuming the money exists,
If it costs less to produce and mail out the tablets than to refund everyone Jolla may want to proceed with choice 3 Otherwise they might want to give out the refund and move on. If they chose 3 or 4 then the other thing to consider is that if the tablets are distributed they are presumably committed to providing some support which comes with its headaches...
According to https://blog.jolla.com/open-letter-jolla-community/, Jolla tablet prepayments are around 2,8 M$. That is the amount to be refunded, if the tablet is shelved.

It is extremely unlikely any investor would be willing to invest millions in Jolla company, as Jolla has other debt too that would have to be covered in order to return normal operations.

It is unfortunate Jolla's latest blog entry is so vague about the actual amount "invested" in Jolla.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
No, what this means is that Jolla paid for all the extra development work, and the Chinese factory is simply taking the finished design and selling it without paying Jolla anything. Given this significantly advantageous fiscal strategy, the factory can still make a profit even when selling at near the cost of the components...
Possible but unlikely.
This...

Originally Posted by tommo View Post
I just thought they got stuck with a load of tablets jolla didn't pay for and were trying to get some money back.....
...looks more like it.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund