Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
ZogG's Avatar
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
#321
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Well, at the moment it's the only officially supported standard-like Linux distro on smartphone hardware.
Is it? Is it really supported and supported on smartphone HW?
Because I see only few phones supported officially, where most of them are their own. Also support you have is not that kind of opensource linux support. i would not even start about the lack of their eco system and proper app store.
Btw regarding "at the moment" - if you pay attention most of the founders left the boat and started new projects, so not sure if you are talking about same SailfishOS I know :P
__________________
IRC nick on freenode ZogG
imgrup
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
pichlo's Avatar
Posts: 5,416 | Thanked: 16,672 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
#322
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
ARM will never leave the padded rooms of the
ANDROID asylum for the crippled insane.
My old Palm and millions of people's iPhones say otherwise
__________________
In particle accelerators atoms are indeed not only touching each others. But banging together in a massive explosive orgasm.
-- nieldk in a TMO post
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 636 | Thanked: 1,486 times | Joined on Aug 2010
#323
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
My old Palm and millions of people's iPhones say otherwise
With all due highest respect:

How do we root install Debian 9 on iPhone bare metal ?

If we can,
then I would do so, immediately.
__________________
Three n900s: One for stable working platform,
One for development testing Chopping Onions
One for saltwater immersion power testing resurrected ! parts scavenging

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
pichlo's Avatar
Posts: 5,416 | Thanked: 16,672 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
#324
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
How do we root install Debian 9 on iPhone bare metal ?
I don't know.

Maybe I misunderstood, but in the context of your post denigrating ARM, I took your claim, the one that I quoted, as, "The only OS to ever run properly on ARM will be Android. Ever."

I offered counter-examples of other OSes that run or have run on ARM quite successfully. Therefore ARM cannot be the problem.
__________________
In particle accelerators atoms are indeed not only touching each others. But banging together in a massive explosive orgasm.
-- nieldk in a TMO post
 

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 636 | Thanked: 1,486 times | Joined on Aug 2010
#325
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I don't know.
but in the context of your post denigrating ARM

Haha !

Denigrating ARM is one of the few remaining joys in life,
so I generally pile it on lavishly, ad nauseam.

I would, however,
add that until ARM
(or any other steamy SoC droppings )
get serious,
iPhone and any other implementations
will never be serious Operating Systems.

They will remain walled gardens,
virtual toy-store imitations of actual software.

cheers, anyway
__________________
Three n900s: One for stable working platform,
One for development testing Chopping Onions
One for saltwater immersion power testing resurrected ! parts scavenging

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Last edited by theonelaw; 2018-04-23 at 10:21. Reason: grammar
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Fellfrosch's Avatar
Posts: 474 | Thanked: 1,792 times | Joined on Dec 2009
#326
What I find a little bit irritating on the the Librem 5 is, that it comes installed with PureOS, which nobody has ever seen on a small form factor touch device like a smartphone.

So what will work with PureOS and what not. I'm quite sure that Purism has no magical skills and that it is impossible to deliver what so many others has struggled with: A free OS running on a Smartphone, all sensors working and touch optimized.

Has anybody ever seen a Prototyp of the Librem 5? January 2019 isn't that far away, and I haven't seen anything of this phone aside from some renderings.

Don't get me wrong, I wish that Librem 5 comes true. But at the moment I have my doubts, at least (but not only) in respect of the OS. I hope that Plasma mobile is making some progress until the day of release. But also they seem to take only small steps.

So what use is it for, if you have some nice hardware, but no proper OS it is delivered with?
 

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
pacman's Avatar
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on Sep 2015
#327
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
What I find a little bit irritating on the the Librem 5 is, that it comes installed with PureOS, which nobody has ever seen on a small form factor touch device like a smartphone.
IIUC what will be possible with the Librem 5 + PureOS, that is not possible with SailfishOS, is this: if the Librem-developed UI (likely a spin of Gnome or KDE) turns out to be inadequate, it will be possible for one or more community-developed alternatives to be developed.
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pacman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 438 | Thanked: 272 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
#328
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
ARM hardware. Any of it.

Installing anything on Arm requires a reticulated process
of jumping through successive hoops in sequence.
Rube Goldberg engineering, on LSD.

Negotiating bootloader locking mechanisms
to enable (within specifically timed windows) blindly hacked
driver details that were originally created to comply
with randomly created choices in some spaghetti code factory
intended to support just about any kind of memory leak.

It is effing hopeless,
and will never quit being such.

ARM will never leave the padded rooms of the
ANDROID asylum for the crippled insane.
The Jolla tablet was supposed to be launched on an Intel chipset.
In the meantime, Intel has quit its efforts to get into mobile chipsets, and I read somewhere that one of the reasons for that was that ARM was more popular with developers and most basically weren't interested in jumping ship. If ARM is the abomination that you say it is, then why would devs act like that?
Or was what I read just from idiot talking out of his ***?
Why aren't manufacturers keen on trying alternative architectures?
Why does it seem like any chinese no-name manufacturer can churn out lots of cheap Android phones in no time, while companies like Jolla and Fairphone take a horribly long time doing so?

Last edited by bennypr0fane; 2018-04-23 at 13:25.
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 438 | Thanked: 272 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
#329
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I don't know.

Maybe I misunderstood, but in the context of your post denigrating ARM, I took your claim, the one that I quoted, as, "The only OS to ever run properly on ARM will be Android. Ever."

I offered counter-examples of other OSes that run or have run on ARM quite successfully. Therefore ARM cannot be the problem.
Also, Windows phones run on ARM hardware.
However, that doesn't mean ARM hardware doesn't make it horribly hard for you to create an OS for it, so hard that only big-five companies can manage to make it work from scratch.
Raspberry Pi is also ARM, just came to my mind. Everything about it is hackable.
 

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
pichlo's Avatar
Posts: 5,416 | Thanked: 16,672 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
#330
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Why does it seem like any chinese no-name manufacturer can churn out lots of cheap Android phones in no time, while companies like Jolla and Fairphone take a horribly long time doing so?
Could it be because they make hardware to an already existing OS made by someone else? Whereas Jolla tries the opposite? It does not explain Fairphone, though.
__________________
In particle accelerators atoms are indeed not only touching each others. But banging together in a massive explosive orgasm.
-- nieldk in a TMO post
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:55.