Active Topics

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
code177, read the "at this moment" in your quote. At this moment Ovi for Maemo is not public, nobody can publish (as in make public) any software for the N900 simply because there are no Ovi pages for the N900. Simple as that.

One day Ovi for Maemo will be public, the terms and condition will be public and you will see that being a Premium publisher is not a requirement in order to publish apps for Maemo in Ovi.

None of this has anything to do with open source. The previous step (having a Tax ID or VAT) still applies. The Premium brings the hurdle of the liability insurance, which is what I'm saying that won't be required to publish apps for Maemo.

Just wait till the announcement of Ovi for Maemo. Keep sending your questions to the wiki page. as you see we are doing some homework in order to answer them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Well I'm not going to get into an argument with you about this, you obviously have more knowledge about the inner workings of Nokia so I, and everyone else here tend to take your posts as fact.

You have my sincere apologies. I was merely passing on what was said to me by Ovi and my own interpretations of what these things mean.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
code177, read the "at this moment" in your quote. At this moment Ovi for Maemo is not public, nobody can publish (as in make public) any software for the N900 simply because there are no Ovi pages for the N900. Simple as that.
We believe you of course

But note that the mail code177 received says "only the approved premium publisher can publish for N900 at this moment" - that is, there are some people who can publish for the the N900 at the moment.

Can you confirm that this part of the mail was incorrect and there is a level playing field?

Also, regarding that very long queue for approval: You say wait for the terms and Ovi Maemo to be ready. Is there any advantage in getting into the approval queue now, to avoid a potentially long delay after Ovi Maemo becomes ready before it's possible to publish?

Or is it really the case that commercial apps can be published without liability insurance on Maemo?

Finally, just curious - how long is the queue? Hundreds, thousands, or millions of would be publishers? I won't be surprised if this isn't answered

Thanks a lot!

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Just to say from the 'average bear' end, I d/led some apps from Maemo Select last night. The first thing I noticed was the bloomin' big disclaimer teling me I was proceeding at my own risk on the developer-created apps. I kind of felt if I were an dev, I'd be mildly insulted with the way that was done.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
I found 1 Million Sterling insurance was quite cheap and covers other things if you are a software development company.
But then you have to renew as well....

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
Sorry to butt in here .. was just reading Charles Stross' blog and came across a worrying quote (as least if you're in the UK) which reminded me of this thread:

Originally Posted by Charles Stross
Want to write a casual game for the iPhone and sell it for 99 pence? Good luck with that — first you'll have to cough up £50,000 to get it certified as child-friendly by the BBFC
I guess this would apply to Ovi Store too.. It's in relation to the proposed "Digital Economy" legislation in the UK

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog...imbeciles.html is the relevant blog entry. He isn't known for his tendency to understate, but I would think that if you are a sole-trader developer type planning to publish on Ovi Store (or, indeed, the Apple equivalent) you might want to investigate lobbying opportunities before this is set into law.

The Following User Says Thank You to kwotski For This Useful Post:
Oh the drama.

Tags
one billion dollars!