Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by SallyJane View Post
OK that works now.

The UI is coming along

Sync opens the built-in Calendar, which then closes with an 'Error occurred' (looking at your posts above, I guess you know that)

From a usability perspective, it might be better to make the clockface bigger, and shrink the 5 and 1 minute radii down a bit (does anyone need 1cm of radius to plot 5 min increments ?)

Pure eye-candy : would love the option to make each successive pie slice a different /random colour.
thanks
you will find the pie colors in the next edition's settings, and I really like the idea of random colors. for the radii at the moment they are a pure guess, feel free to search for the optimal values in the Granularity panel of the settings and to report!
and the sync part is really driving me crazy...
thanks again for the precious feedback!

Originally Posted by erniadeldesktop View Post
thanks
for the radii at the moment they are a pure guess, feel free to search for the optimal values in the Granularity panel of the settings and to report!
I noticed the granularity settings but the clock face should be bigger IMHO.....

anyhow, it's early days still so will try not to nitpick too much.

I think it's a great and novel idea, anyway

re the widget :

It would be nice to have a working version ASAP.

Many users (well, myself and the silent majority who aren't commenting here) are hoping/waiting/looking for a desktop widget that will allow one to quickly scribble an appt or reminder down and view it on the desktop.

Easy one touch editing would be a bonus.

Your widget will allow just that

Last edited by SallyJane; 2010-10-01 at 07:10.

sadly, developing the widget is not trivial: first I would like to made it in qt, and this means that it must be revwritten, and then there are some issues like refreshing and connecting to the app that are quite "nebulous" right now. I guess the fastest way will be making a QBW, but for sure is one of my ToDos.
Again on the widget: desktop widget will only update the image or run the app, entering appointment or notes directly on desktop is not possible: otherwise you will not be able to scroll between deskops!

But I have a good news! : the cal sync is working now, thanks to nicolai, and as soon as I get rid of event duplication i will deliver a new release (maybe today or tomorrow).

so let's say: release plan:
1-2 days for full cal sync,
1 week for the widget.
ciao ciao!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erniadeldesktop For This Useful Post:
new!
version 0.0.6 : codename: hangover build
what's new:
sync working (tnx 2 nicolai), random pies color(sallyjane idea), many other settings. oh also different templates!
known bugs:
- to avoid duplicate entries in calendar, if synced, the calendar file is cleared. This is not an elegant solution but I don't want to lost my self in dbus calls again.. maybe next time
- to apply the different background you have to delete the page, clicking on the trash bin icon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erniadeldesktop For This Useful Post:
- to avoid duplicate entries in calendar, if synced, the calendar file is cleared
Haven't tried this yet....do you mean the already existing entries in Calendar are deleted ?

The options available in Preferences are nice, but are not saved on closing the app !

And the more I try the app out, the more I think the clock face really should be bigger.
Partly because setting up time slots on it is not that immediately intuitive for users who are used to the 'ordinary' way of reading off a clock face.

*edit*
Currently the fastest, most efficient way to use this app is to render a pie slice, then toggle quickly to scribble mode and to jot the event name next to the slice.
Is it planned to be able to save multiple days like this ? I imagine a toggle or button in Todoy that quickly opens the default Calendar month overview and allows one to select a day. Tapping on that day will pull up the graphic pie from Todoy for viewing or editing.

Last edited by SallyJane; 2010-10-03 at 19:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to SallyJane For This Useful Post:
I really like this idea, and I even signed up on the forum to give my input.

There are a few things that disturb me, mainly from a UI point of view:
- I can't read the actual times of the appointment I'm drawing, because they are in white. Also, my stylus is over them. So I would suggest another color and maybe a fixed position in a corner.
- I can't find anywhere to distinguish am from pm. I end up drawing appointments that turn out to be 02 AM - 05 AM instead of PM. Am I overlooking something or is only AM possible atm?
- I find it very confusing that the screen remains the same (ie shows the same appointments) if I switch to another day. Could you please make it load the new day automatically?
- Could you please make the + do "next day" instead of next year as suggested by some other people too.

Desired features :
- a line indicating current time. That way I know where I am in the planning..
- a clear difference between AM & PM, eg. different color of clock background and a simple switch (if it's not already there)

As for the calendar syncing: I find it works nicely, most of the time. It does not clear any existing appointments. On the other hand, it doesn't read them either. So reading them would be a great +.

I managed to make a new "calendar" for the todoy, and add the appointments there. Now however, after restarting the app, it says "ongeldig kalenderbestand" which I would translate into english as "invalid calendar file". Note, the todoy calendar is still there and contains all appointments drawn.

Keep up the good work. I really love this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sebastiaan.lampo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sebastiaan.lampo View Post
I really like this idea, and I even signed up on the forum to give my input.
welcome then! this make me really proud!
There are a few things that disturb me, mainly from a UI point of view:
- I can't read the actual times of the appointment I'm drawing, because they are in white. Also, my stylus is over them. So I would suggest another color and maybe a fixed position in a corner.
yes, I'had the same feeling couple of times. I'm planning to put the time in the right left corner, I'll put this in next release
- I can't find anywhere to distinguish am from pm. I end up drawing appointments that turn out to be 02 AM - 05 AM instead of PM. Am I overlooking something or is only AM possible atm?
yes at the moment only am is possible, I'm trying to find the best way to implement this. Maybe clicking in the center of the clock.. i will find someway. don't worry!
- I find it very confusing that the screen remains the same (ie shows the same appointments) if I switch to another day. Could you please make it load the new day automatically?
woah.. never noticed this. This will be done!
- Could you please make the + do "next day" instead of next year as suggested by some other people too.
indeed. I was planning to put two buttons on the side of the page to quick jump to next/prev days

Desired features :
- a line indicating current time. That way I know where I am in the planning..
this is a cool idea. Added to my todo list!
- a clear difference between AM & PM, eg. different color of clock background and a simple switch (if it's not already there)
I was wondering something like appending at the end of the text. or somehow just outside of the pie
As for the calendar syncing: I find it works nicely, most of the time. It does not clear any existing appointments. On the other hand, it doesn't read them either. So reading them would be a great +.
"invalid calendar file". Note, the todoy calendar is still there and contains all appointments drawn.
ok the calendar syncing is really experimental. I need to change my approach, but this means interacting with db's. and I've no knowledge atm. Will do this but it will take a while.. for the invalid calendar file, I'll check. wich version are you using? the last release?was working nice for me..
Keep up the good work. I really love this.
thanks. Really, great feedback!

ps: sallyjane, permanent savings will be there too. for the month view.. well.. wasn't in my plans, but I promise I will think about.

pps: I'got the widget working.. the only thing i miss is how to put it in the homescreen menu.. selecting it from the list does not open the widget.. meh.. couple of days more.. be patient!

guys I'm proud to announce you that:
version 0.0.7 : codename: raging widget
is out!! will be soon in extras devel repositories. Do you think is time to start the long way to extras?

what's new:
widget is working now, triple click to open the app! settings are now permanents, also quick jump to tomorrow/yesterday.
known bugs:
-nothing has changed in cal syncing since last time.
same consideration of the last version applies.
-widget opening is not perfect
- open the app doesn't automatically load the file if existing (dammit i forgot.. I'll put it next time)
- also a line showing actual time is missing. Forgot about this one also..
-time is where it was before(on pie corners) 'couse I've tryed but I've not liked putting it in a fixed position.

Don't mess around with the granularity settings or with weird filenames 'couse i don't know where to put a reset to default settings ! the ui is already crowded enough !!

Last edited by erniadeldesktop; 2010-10-09 at 16:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to erniadeldesktop For This Useful Post:
So many changes to review ...

Settings is NOT permanent : Every time I close the app the pie/colour opacity defaults to 15

Sketch and pie mode are now mutually exclusive (is this intentional ?) If I render a pie and want to toggle to sketch to label it, the rendered pie slice disappears

So good to see a widget on the desktop at last !
Can we have an option to set its transparency ?

Clicking on the left/right arrows on pie render screen should indicate somewhere on the screen what date is being shown (I'm sure this is coming !)