Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
>6. Media Player doesn't play any video you throw at it.
Open the video with VLC on your PC, then post the codec information here (what audio/video codec it contains)

>Sometimes Media Player fails to display that videos exist on the phone at all!
Was the USB cable disconnected? As long as it is connected to your PC, the N900 will not find media. Also, it can take a moment (...minutes and more) for the tracker to update the index.

>8. I wish I could share videos just like I do pictures via Bluetooth.
Bluetooth protocol is too slow for this, not a N900 problem.

>9. Where's the Media Player equalizer?
Something is in the works... http://blogs.igalia.com/jasuarez/200...ith-equalizer/

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Pretty good evaluation here. I don't agree with all of your points, (MMS for example), but I think it's a really fair look at the N900.

Welcome to the community.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 33 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London @ UK
Originally Posted by theinternet View Post
I have Windows 7 and it did not work.
I have Mac OSX and works fine

Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
>6. Media Player doesn't play any video you throw at it.
Open the video with VLC on your PC, then post the codec information here (what audio/video codec it contains)

>Sometimes Media Player fails to display that videos exist on the phone at all!
Was the USB cable disconnected? As long as it is connected to your PC, the N900 will not find media. Also, it can take a moment (...minutes and more) for the tracker to update the index.

>8. I wish I could share videos just like I do pictures via Bluetooth.
Bluetooth protocol is too slow for this, not a N900 problem.

>9. Where's the Media Player equalizer?
Something is in the works... http://blogs.igalia.com/jasuarez/200...ith-equalizer/
1. I will edit this post later today when I am at home so that I can provide the codec information.

2. The n900 was disconnected and it often happens. I have found that if i explore my videos via the file manager, the list in media player re-populates.

3. I have shared video on my N95 no problem. Regardless, there is no reason to remove the functionality, imho.

4. Good to know the equalizer is in the making.

Thanks!
-TheInternet

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Come on guys, where can we get mplayer? The stock app is kind of picky. I have some Mp4 files that play fine on Droid and G1, but not my N900. N900 should play anything those can.

I had mplayer for a bit and then it disappeared from my application list. Now, when I reinstall it, it no longer appears in the app list. Furthermore, where can we obtain the GStreamer files/codecs/injections to make this work?

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
I had the same issue with an avi file not playing. I decided to enable the extras testing repo ( http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-testing ) and installing the video codecs from there solved my problem (not to say it would solve everyone's - avi is only a container format and there can be all sorts of stuff inside).

I basically followed the instructions in the wiki, then ran application manager in order to see the additional packages on offer.

I believe I saw an offer to install mplayer in there too.

I understand you need to be really careful not to fill up your root filesystem (rootfs) with installing stuff from that there repo, BTW

What I did was open the xterm, then run the command:

df -h

which shows how much space is available on the various parts of the storage.

I then compared that against the size of the install shown in application manager (and made sure I was leaving plenty of spare!)

The Following User Says Thank You to kwotski For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kwotski View Post
I had the same issue with an avi file not playing. I decided to enable the extras testing repo ( http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-testing ) and installing the video codecs from there solved my problem (not to say it would solve everyone's - avi is only a container format and there can be all sorts of stuff inside).

I basically followed the instructions in the wiki, then ran application manager in order to see the additional packages on offer.

I believe I saw an offer to install mplayer in there too.

I understand you need to be really careful not to fill up your root filesystem (rootfs) with installing stuff from that there repo, BTW

What I did was open the xterm, then run the command:

df -h

which shows how much space is available on the various parts of the storage.

I then compared that against the size of the install shown in application manager (and made sure I was leaving plenty of spare!)
That is why I want one of our Maemo overlords (I mean that in a good way) to say if it is safe to install the codecs and mplayer. I do not want to run into the "full" messages.

If it aint' safe and blessed by the overlords, this noob aint' installing.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
Unfortunately both mplayer and the additional gstreamer codecs require some terminal magic, as there is no icon for them in the app installer. If you're the adventureous type, read the advanced wiki pages on how to install packages and install gstreamer0.10-plugins-good and see how that works out (and perhaps continue with the other plugin packages if you'd like)
However, don't do this if you're not confident in what you're doing. Perhaps somebody could create a metapackage that depends on all gstreamer plugins and upload it to extras?

The Following User Says Thank You to Z0l For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Z0l View Post
Unfortunately both mplayer and the additional gstreamer codecs require some terminal magic, as there is no icon for them in the app installer. If you're the adventureous type, read the advanced wiki pages on how to install packages and install gstreamer0.10-plugins-good and see how that works out (and perhaps continue with the other plugin packages if you'd like)
However, don't do this if you're not confident in what you're doing. Perhaps somebody could create a metapackage that depends on all gstreamer plugins and upload it to extras?
Any idea when mplayer and the codecs will make their way to the default repositories?