Active Topics

Have you ever needed to uninstall some less used apps in order to be able to install larger applications such as AbiWord, or Octave, or Gnumeric? I had, but not any more.

Finally I've found a solution that not only enables me to install as many applications as will fit into my MMC, but it doubles the general speed of the device, and some other useful features.

This (old) pretty solution is due to Maemo developers. But it was hard for me to implement, because to collect all the information I needed from different (outdated) Maemo Wikis, external webpages and Forum messages has been truly desperating.

Now that I've finally got my 770 device working fine, I've decided to simplify all the procedure (partition, formatting, reflashing, etc) into a new Maemo Wiki:
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowTo_EAS..._From_MMC_card

I hope this will help newbies to avoid the hard way. Have a look at it and if you find it useful, that's great. And if you think it lacks something or is still something difficult, please let me know.

Salut.
Sebas.

Last edited by sebastian.linux; 2007-02-07 at 05:18.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
The main problem I have, here as in other situation, is that the apt-get command won't success. I type "# apt-get install e2fsprogs" or whatever (some other installations were tried also to install smbfiles), and I get a first confirmation request that succeeds, then proceeding will always end with a "Some packages could not be authenticated" error

Originally Posted by maxilogan View Post
The main problem I have, here as in other situation, is that the apt-get command won't success. I type "# apt-get install e2fsprogs" or whatever (some other installations were tried also to install smbfiles), and I get a first confirmation request that succeeds, then proceeding will always end with a "Some packages could not be authenticated" error
If just all configuration problems were so easy to solve

You haven't got any problem. What you're describing is the normal situation with the Tablet. Apt-get usually won't be able to authenticate the GPG signatures of many packages. Maybe because the public key isn't available, or maybe because there's no signature at all. But it doesn't matter that much, if you rely on the repo's address.

Your problem is that when apt-get prompts you with that warning you just press ENTER (that's your error). Because by default apt-get stops instalation. You MUST press 'y' (small letter) INSTEAD. And instalation process will successfully GO ON.

the matter is: if I just press "y" then the installtion will just be waiting for a confirmation... seems that I'll have to press the ENTER anyway, and that's the moment in which I get the auth error.

Is that you're using any sort of external keyboard, either USB or BT?

guess I could repartition the mmc in another way tough, and proceed with the rest of the installation...

Originally Posted by maxilogan View Post
the matter is: if I just press "y" then the installtion will just be waiting for a confirmation... seems that I'll have to press the ENTER anyway, and that's the moment in which I get the auth error.

Is that you're using any sort of external keyboard, either USB or BT?

guess I could repartition the mmc in another way tough, and proceed with the rest of the installation...
It's strange. I'm using the native virtual keyboard. Then you could install the package via TOOLS > APPLICATION MANAGER > INSTALL NEW APP ...

Sebastian,

I wanted to thank you for doing this documentation work. As you say, it's all old news, but the bits and pieces were all over the map and the puzzle was probably too much of a challenge for all but the most dedicated tinkerers, so making it so easily accessible and clearly summarized is almost as useful as creating the stuff in the first place !

Myself I decided to flash my 770 to the latest 2006 release last weekend. If I hadn't seen your post just before I would not have bothered with the MMC hack, but with such an easy HOWTO I just went ahead and did it right away. Everything went as expected and I'm very satisfied with the results -- I feel like I have life insurance now :-)

The only part I felt could be improved on was in the MMC partitioning HOWTO, for people who have something else than a 1 GB card and thus cannot use the provided value of 15000. I will add a suggestion to that howto, so that such users can easily determine a reasonable sfdisk command.

Now I'm going to try penguinbait's Windows Maker hack... :-)

Thanks again !
fp

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
the bits and pieces were all over the map and the puzzle was probably too much of a challenge for all but the most dedicated tinkerers, so making it so easily accessible and clearly summarized is almost as useful as creating the stuff in the first place !
That's true :-) But having now complete newbies doing the procedure we should probably change the defaults for better safety. I mean people should use ext3 filesystem, not ext2 if they never heard of fsck command. ext3 has automatic filesystem check and recovery when device crashes and reboots. ext2 should be repaired by hand in such situations.

There are rumours that ext3 is much slower and wears out the flash faster as it writes everything twice but that's only true for data=journal option which is not the default. The default mode data=ordered is good enough and fast enough for general use. And there is even data=writeback mode which is similar to ext2 behaviour but still with automatic recovery on boot. More details
http://www.redhat.com/support/wpapers/redhat/ext3/

So I'd vote for changing the guide to use ext3 filesystem.

This can be done by using mkfs.ext3 when creating filesystem or with tune2fs -j later. Then you need to change filesystem for bootmenu entry as in example bootmenu.conf.xxxx included in the initfs flasher archive.
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
The only part I felt could be improved on was in the MMC partitioning HOWTO, for people who have something else than a 1 GB card and thus cannot use the provided value of 15000. I will add a suggestion to that howto, so that such users can easily determine a reasonable sfdisk command.
fp
Do you mean something like this?
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...3&postcount=50
Would be nice if someone could verify it and add to the guide.

I haven't tried that. This is the way I did it :

* when I used sfdisk without options to list the existing partitions, there was a message saying that the current cylinder/sector/head count (probably done from Windows) was different from the actual geometry as determined by the kernel. It was used nonetheless, but gave a cylinder count that did not jibe with the given example for my card's capacity (512 MB). This could be very confusing for a "newbie".

* next I used the -g option to get the kernel's idea of the proper values, especially the cylinder count,

* using that, I determined the ratio I wanted for my FAT and ext2 partitions (25%/75%) and used the cylinder count*0.25 instead of 15000 in the partitioned command as you have shown.

This looks simple enough and worked quite well. Should I write it up in the partitioning Howto ? Maybe someone who has actually tested and validated the -uM option can add that as an alternative later...

Last edited by fpp; 2007-02-14 at 09:12.

I would have to look at it more, but at first try, you can't load the ext3 module. I don't have the error in front of me anymore, but it wouldn't load.

sorry for replying so late (I've been offline for a while, which it is quite weird for an internet tablet user )

I successfully installed e2fsprogs through the app manager using the red pill mode

Now I'll proceed with the repartition and all the rest. My guess is now: what will happen when I'll try to reflash the tablet? Will the new OS be installed on the MMC or the internal flash?

Omar

/edit: this is why I have to upgrade to the latest Gregale release in order to have the latest maemo mapper regularly functioning

Last edited by maxilogan; 2007-02-15 at 11:11.