Notices

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Finland

Poor Maps is an application for Sailfish OS to display tiled maps (e.g. OpenStreetMap), places and routes with a flexible selection of data and service providers.

Offline maps, search and routing is possible with OSM Scout Server. Poor Maps will list OSM Scout Server among the providers if you have it installed. For it work, you'll also need to have the server running and a map database on your device. See the OSM Scout Server documentation for details.

Download at OpenRepos.

Source code and issue tracker at GitHub. Translations at Transifex.

Donations appreciated: paypal.me/otsaloma

Last edited by otsaloma; 2017-09-28 at 18:59.

The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Thanks for the update!

Just curious - why did you delete the old thread (can be found here) and all your posts on TMO? Or was it someone else who deleted it?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Just curious - why did you delete the old thread (can be found here) and all your posts on TMO? Or was it someone else who deleted it?
A moderator deleted all my posts and all threads started by me and gave me an infinite ban. Why? I don't know. An admin let me back in, but said posts are too difficult to safely recover.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Glad you are back and re-opening this one ...
(what kind of weirdness did happen here?)

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
It was some kind of weirdness that should have not happened but did

There was a spamfest attack last week and moderators were struggling with it, killing off the spam as fast as they could. (You probably noticed it, at least I saw 20 new messages come in inside few minutes and then disappear...)

There's a gadget in moderators toolbox that allows for them to fireban spammers quickly by removing their account instantly if needed, and misfiring the thing got Otsaloma deleted by accident. Somehow more strange is that the tool should only work with recently-created accounts but it still did, even as his account is an old one!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by otsaloma View Post
A moderator deleted all my posts and all threads started by me and gave me an infinite ban. Why? I don't know. An admin let me back in, but said posts are too difficult to safely recover.
I am sorry to hear that!

I was waiting with updating, as I worried your account might have been hijacked. Glad to hear that's not the case, but this is unfortunate too.

On the bright side, you're now an owner of what's most likely the account with the highest Thanks / Post ratio on this forum

Last edited by nodevel; 2016-05-29 at 17:51.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by otsaloma View Post
A moderator deleted all my posts and all threads started by me
That must be why I could not find the post I was looking for. I recently upgraded my car head unit from one with just the radio and the CD player to one with about a million functions including a kitchen sink. Amongst other things, it also does navigation. Which is what has brought me here. I recalled that there was a discussion here somewhere about what units to use apart from metric. This new unit of mine used miles/feet by default and it just felt so alien that I was going to switch to metric, despite all the road signs being in miles. Luckily there were three options: metric, miles/feet and miles/yards, just like you eventually concluded

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Version 0.25 available at OpenRepos.
  • Fix padding, spacing, icon sizes and font sizes to work better across different size and different pixel density screens
  • Move the menu button to the bottom center of screen
  • Use Mapbox's navigation icons
  • Add scale filters to a pulldown menu in the basemap page
  • Remove MapQuest Open tile source as tiles are no longer available
  • Add @2x variants of OpenCycleMap and Thunderforest Transport
  • Include scale in all tile source names, including @1x
  • Remove Nominatim geocoders
  • Add OpenCage and Photon geocoders and make OpenCage the default
  • Use the latest version of the OSRM router API
  • Make Mapzen Turn-by-Turn the default router
  • Indicate in lists of providers which is the default one
  • New design for HSL Journey Planner results page
  • Handle initial centering and zoom level better on first startup if positioning data not available
  • Raise API connection timeout to 15 seconds

Some notes about the tilesource scale updates. @1x devices and single-scale providers are getting rare, hence the changes.

Include scale in all tile source names, including @1x
This also means that if you have a symlinked cache shared across map apps or a precious huge archive of tiles, you might need to manually rename your directory or symlink. e.g. OpenStreetMap tiles used to be cached under ~/.cache/harbour-poor-maps/openstreetmap, but are now under ~/.cache/harbour-poor-maps/openstreetmap_@1x. I didn't add any migration for this, but any possible cache expiration and tile purging applies to obsolete directories as well.

Add scale filters to a pulldown menu in the basemap page
If you have configured additional tile sources of your own (under ~/.local/share/harbour-poor-maps/tilesources), note that the new filtering is based on tile source names (not the scale field!), so you might want to add @1x or @2x to the names of your tile sources.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Version 0.26 available at OpenRepos.
  • Add OSM Scout Server offline tiles, geocoder, nearby search and router – only listed in Poor Maps if you have OSM Scout Server installed and will only work if the server is running and you have made OpenStreetMap data available for the server (rinigus)
  • Increase download thread count to match CPU core count for localhost (offline) tile servers
  • Increase download timeout for localhost (offline) connections
  • When navigating, make centering and auto-centering on position center the position on the part of the map visible below the navigation narrative, and further, if auto-rotate is on, center lower so that more map is shown ahead than behind (#14)
  • When navigating, auto-rotate to match the route polyline instead of bearing calculated from GPS data, which should make the map rotate faster after a turn (#13)
  • Fix smoothing of maneuver node icons along the route polyline
  • Fix removing an item from search history to not show the removed item in the UI after refiltering

Thanks to rinigus, we have a sensible, modular solution for offline maps in the form of OSM Scout Server. Thanks also to Martin for repeatedly arguing in favor of a modular solution both here and at TJC. You can pester rinigus about how to actually set it up. It's somewhat alpha-quality, but the integration in Poor Maps should be stable, meaning no new releases of Poor Maps should be needed to make use of improvements in the server.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
@otsaloma - thank you very much for adding the support to the server and all additions that you made to make navigation with Poor Maps better!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: