Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
I tried it , I could not open the thumb keypad, and when I want to open the small keypad and wanted to paste an URL, I was unable to paste it (the copy/paste popup showed briefly and disappeared immediately. Furthermore I could not make new bookmarks, only bookmark folders. And the letters are so small even for this hi-res screen that I cannot read them properly.
Conclusion: crap, or at least too much beta, and I uninstalled it.
I hope in future versions that these issues are solved.
A positive point is that the user interface looks intuitive and checking on sites it does luckily not use a 'mobile' user agent, MicroB does neither.
That is why I use the N810 browser rather than a browser on a phone which shows limited WAP versions of some sites.

Last edited by skatebiker; 2009-06-27 at 19:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to skatebiker For This Useful Post:
Definitely getting better. Trying to browse facebook is a good way to demonstrate many of its flaws though.

Try out the geolocation feature of the new Fennec release at
http://ttklf4.tempw8.internet1.de/m/New1/Search.aspx

Last edited by ttklf4; 2009-06-28 at 09:41.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ttklf4 For This Useful Post:
Somehow the install killed my previous install.
Removed the update and tried to install again. Claims to have installed. Won't launch. Oh well, wasn't used much anyway.

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Mexico City
Actually my experience was quite good. Good enough to considering moving from the standard browser. However I had some problems scrolling in Google Reader, particularly, which is a known bug. Curiously a few times it worked, but most of the time it didn't. Looking forward to future versions that will iron out most of the problems.

All in all, a solid addition and a good second option where browsers are concerned.

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ australia
Hi there,
I been using my N810 since January this year and love it, but I have been not satisfied with the websurfing , the speed and the reliability . I have tried all the browsers, and am finally satisfied, this 2nd beta of fennec is great, it is the fastest and most reliable, I am not scared of following a url in a web page for fear of never getting there. It is still buggy, but after using it for the past week, I can work around most of them, eg. soft keyboard does not work properly, just slide open the hw keyboard to overcome any issues if using n810 . You are definitely missing out if you don't give it a few trial, it is that fast and never goes of into a endless loop....Neville.

Posts: 250 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Colorado
I have Fennec installed, but I rarely use it. It's not really "fast enough" for me yet. I prefer Tear over MicroB over Fennec. Once Fennec is finished, I'm sure it'll be a really great browser to have in place instead of MicroB, but even then, I'll still be rooting for Tear as it's, to me and quite a few others, the fastest browser available and still very compatible.

I like Fennec, don't get me wrong, but I'll wait til it's faster/more compatible to really dig in.

Jesse~

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ australia
Originally Posted by jperez2009 View Post
I have Fennec installed, but I rarely use it. It's not really "fast enough" for me yet. I prefer Tear over MicroB over Fennec. Once Fennec is finished, I'm sure it'll be a really great browser to have in place instead of MicroB, but even then, I'll still be rooting for Tear as it's, to me and quite a few others, the fastest browser available and still very compatible.

I like Fennec, don't get me wrong, but I'll wait til it's faster/more compatible to really dig in.

Jesse~
G'day Jesse,
I guess its personal preference, a couple of things I like in Fennec, is the kinetic scrolling is slower and so doesn't go for pages on each flick of the stylus. Also that the stylus can be placed anywhere on the screen when scrolling and wont select any urls the stylus may land on, similar to Ipod touch, which I believe has a fantastic UI.
Neville.

I used it on about 10 different webpages. Still not usable IMO. I like Tear personaly, it seems about 5 times as fast, can login maemo.org and allows me to select something on the page without zooming to 500 percent by accident. But fennecs off-page controls are truly awesome.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I was really interested in Fennec until I got Tear. Does Fennec work properly yet with map sites & web mail sites that use double-tap to mean something different than Fennec's zoom feature?

The Following User Says Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:

Tags
beta, browser, fennec, maemo, release