Active Topics

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
http://www.dealcatcher.com/phones-ce...hone-pre-order

This kind of deal really pisses me off as a Canadian... Why don't they ship here !?!

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Sorry for a bit off topic guys but this seemed to be the assembled experts to ask...

I like spending time in Whistler & Vancouver but will be roaming as coming from the UK. Am I correct in thinking that I will only get 2.5G (EDGE) cover in BC on the N900?

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
I like spending time in Whistler & Vancouver but will be roaming as coming from the UK. Am I correct in thinking that I will only get 2.5G (EDGE) cover in BC on the N900?
Yes, you are correct, EDGE is the best you will find. That said, you should be able to find WiFi in a lot of places, and generally for free. Happy travels!

EDIT: Boingo has WiFi hotspots in Whistler (9) and Vancouver (150+). Mobile access is $7.95/month for all of their spots, which number over 100k around the world. Not a bad option for roaming, if it fits your user needs. http://www.boingo.com/

Last edited by TenSpeed; 2009-11-05 at 21:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TenSpeed For This Useful Post:
I am planning to buy N900 from Finland where i am living. But i am planning to go work to Vancouver. Tickets is all ready ordered.

Do N900 work whit Virgin mobile prepaid? I have understood that there is no 3G but edge work.

Esko

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
t301, can I switch with you? I live in Vancouver but I'd like to work in Finland

Virgin Mobile is a subsidiary of Bell mobility, which doesn't have EDGE.

If you want data on the N900, you need to sign up with Fido or Rogers.

Thanks

Look like this Rogers prepaid is ok. Prices are little salty and terms difficult to understand. Is there any operator what give you use phone as modem?

Do i have to buy phone when i take prepaid or can i us own phone. I don't find terms.

qole:
If you like forest work

This is more like practice work in Vancouver. Only 3 month. It have been long time dream to get in BC.

Last edited by t301; 2009-11-07 at 07:12.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I don't think you can do prepaid with data on Rogers / Fido.

I suggest the no-contract monthly plan on Fido with the 500MB data add-on. It isn't cheap, but it is cheaper than Rogers.

Fido is the discount branch of Rogers. They don't charge the silly extra fees, and they charge by the second, not the minute.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Winnipeg, Canada
I'd suggest you wait until just before you come to Canada, and then choose a network. Both Bell and Telus turned on their HSPA networks this past week (Wednesday & Thursday, respectively), so there is a chance you'll be able to do prepaid on one of their networks in the near future. In fact, I'd be very surprised if it's not available in Vancouver soon, in preparation for the 2010 Winter Olympics. The visiting tourists will expect a real mobile network, not the junk that Canadians have had to put up with for many years.

TenSpeed, do Bell and Telus do EDGE, though? All of the 3G networks in Canada are useless for the N900, and I know it can't do CDMA...

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
I do not think Telus and Bell are offering EDGE. Just HSPA.
Dave and Wind are our only hope.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:

Tags
buy, canada, canadian, cost, n900, provider, providers, retailers, rogers, wind