Notices

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
This is just a thing I have been thinking about for a couple of days... (since reading a discussion about the look of icons I think it was)

We have an excellent opportunity here... New platform, new device etc.

So I think we should do what the title says... grab, stea... eh borrow "everything" we like in other OS, phones, tablets etc. when thinking of programs, apps or features we would like to see.

Don't think "well they have that on the iPhone or in WinMo or Symbian and we don't want to look or be like them." - Don't worry we won't be like them... We'll be better!

I really think this device is close to being the perfect device...
Full Qwerty, Nice UI, ALOT of really cool features and power under the hood. It has so much potentiale!

So if we like something in 'others' we should just grab it for ourselves and improve on it by combining it with the other cool features we find or just by combining them with Maemo 5.

f.ex. the sence UI in HTC (not the whole thing just the things that work really well...) like the peoples tab... everything that has to do with that contact goes there... email correspondance, sms, phone log with time of missed, óutgoing and received calls, info about contact you name it...

The email in iPhone/ipod touch (some of it) with the ability to see and interact with folders you made on your mail providers servers f.ex. yahoo plus.

Smart dialing HTC, samsung where you when you start to type number or name it filters contacts... a really fast way to find what you are looking for (I know you can do that form the keyboard... but would be nice to also be able to from numpad.

Don't be shy post your own suggestions

Last edited by Brunorange; 2009-12-22 at 19:12. Reason: Stupid title

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
this is more like for the application forums http://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41.

seems you wnat to collect programs which should be ported...
if you want a feature and dont care of a specific program you should propose your requested features as problem/idea and add the program you like to see as a solution.

See the sticky threads in this forum and the wiki for more information. Thanks!

sticky http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33189
wiki http://wiki.maemo.org/Brainstorm

The Following User Says Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
This was more of a brainstorm for people to think of the form of the UI and the way it handles contacts, messeges etc.

You/I can move it to where ever it makes the most sense... or delete if it doesn't

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Well, Bruno, I admire your passion and motivation but so far this is not falling into the Brainstorm structure. If you want to see if it can be formatted so, please review the instructions and make the necessary changes. Otherwise, I don't mind moving this thread to Applications if it's not intended to be a formal Brainstorm.

nah just move it
It was just me late last night ranting, thinking out loud and I didn't know where to put it
If possible maybe change the title to something more suitable...

I can only comment at one thing... On the homescreen you can just start to type the name of a contact and the contactlist opens and filters in realtime. Fastest way to reach someone by far.

Originally Posted by HoellP View Post
I can only comment at one thing... On the homescreen you can just start to type the name of a contact and the contactlist opens and filters in realtime. Fastest way to reach someone by far.
I find this really annoying, and wonder if there is any way to turn it off.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Originally Posted by HoellP View Post
Very true and I use it all the time... but say you are allready "in the" phone dial-pad cos you just phoned someone... you would have to flip sideways and pull out keyboard (perhaps use both hands... oh shudder ) instead of just beeing able to start typing number/name with dialpad... Its not a major deal but its all the little things (options) that makes the whole experience of using the device good or phenomenal

Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
I find this really annoying, and wonder if there is any way to turn it off.
well maybe we could make an option to choose where phone starts to search... maybe your media, internet etc. or you just go directly to writing a text or maybe just turn off.