Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Last friday got first time a sudden need to make a mask on my face. Did it and put my steampunk outfit on and headed to Helsinki night to write with my loyal companion Nokia Booklet 3G, the best writing laptop there is.

Went to a bar and started to write. A very good looking young lady started to chat with me. After a while she asked my age. I gave her an old passport I had found from a second hand shop. I introduced myself: "Karl Verner Garllson - late". The guy was born in 1894. The lady gave the passport to her friend. She thought she would blow my cover and started to ask questions about my info according to passport. I had just took that passport for first time with me and because I had thought it would be funny if someone would ask for a passport - I had memorized on a bus the information: date of birth, education, marriage etc. She was pissed of when she gave the passport back.

I went for a cigarret outside and as I usually do I asked from a random guy there his education and what is his job (at this time I had already forgot how I look). He challenged me to guess. A small winter cap, beard, collar set loosely around neck, long green army type jacket: software developer? Correct. He was a bit annoyed for me guessing right.

I pulled my N900 from a pocket and said I like linux. He said what a coincident. He works for big it-firm which they have brought to Finland and a finnish guy working for them have been leading developers for maemo. I advertized Leste and urged this guy to make his workmate to help with the closed source stuff. I said it is in no way a dead Os. Later thought that my outfit was maybe not in accord with my words. Hope he spreads the message though.
Attached Images

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

Last edited by Maemish; 2019-11-04 at 21:12.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
I went for a cigarret outside and as I usually do I asked from a random guy there his education and what is his job (at this time I had already forgot how I look). He challenged me to guess. A small winter cap, beard, collar set loosely around neck, long green army type jacket: software developer? Correct. He was a bit annoyed for me guessing right.
First LOL of the day. Thanks!

I pulled my N900 from a pocket and said I like linux. He said what a coincident. He works for big it-firm which they have brought to Finland and a finnish guy working for them have been leading developers for maemo. I advertized Leste and urged this guy to make his workmate to help with the closed source stuff. I said it is in no way a dead Os. Later thought that my outfit was maybe not in accord with my words. Hope he spreads the message though.
And thanks again for spreading the word!

Can't say I got much out of Halloween; I tend to ignore it as much as possible.
It's amusing to talk to kindergarten kids about blood & monsters and get giggles in return.
Got some of that orange chocolate, but it wasn't very good.

BTW, you missed the most important part: what happened to you & the two ladies (one of them good-looking)? Let me guess: you dropped it because exchanging Nokia/Linux talk with another nerd was more important?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Married for 21 years and been loyal all that time. Have thought to stay that way. So yes, talking with nerds usually lasts longer than with pretty ladies. Unless pretty lady is more than just pretty. Sometimes have had very long talks with some, and the best is to get an argue about some subject.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Married for 21 years
Ah. I didn't even consider this possibility.
Says something about me, I guess.

The Following User Says Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
If you would like to experience an LSD trip but you do not wan't to use any substances and do not wan't to lose the illusion that you are in control of your life - I have an option for you: Redi Mall in Kalasatama, Helsinki, Finland.

It is quite easy to get this trip. You take a metro/subway to Kalasatama station and right through the doors and you are in. To those who wonder if they know how to choose the right metro rail - in Finland we have one metro, which is in Helsinki, the capital city, and it is only one line. Well yes, you go other track to the other direction and the other to opposite direction, but it should be quite easy. In the other end it though separates to to possible end station, but that is way before Kalasatama station, so you don't need to bother yourself with that.

When you get inside the Redi Mall - walk anywhere and you are in a rabbit hole trip. For the architecture they have taken inspiration probably from the digestal inner parts of different creatures for different floor. Corridors roofs are low, there is no straight wievs, there are big round and square pillars as obstacles for you to see where you are going, pillars which some are straight many are not but looks like they are just thrown there, like the design program had some bugs in it.

So the architecture from the bird wiev is a digestal system, but each floow has its' own architecture. So if you find elevator or some kind of transportation to the next floor (the maps I got there lacked all stairs and stuff, only paid guides which were helping people had them in their maps but they were not aloud to give them to people), you don't know without a map how the corridors go there merry go round.

I have to warn you: it is a bad trip. I haven't heard yet anyone to say it was a good trip to Redi. But it is free (well the one way metro ticket and back with ambulance, water and food suplies you need to stay alive there while trying to figure your way around there and very soon out of there, plus the possible medical costs or psychiatric counsel and drugs) and you have the illusion that you are in control.

But there you are: LSD trip without substances in Finland.

Last edited by Maemish; 2019-11-23 at 14:53.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
That reminds me of the metro line in Oslo. We stayed in a hotel, let's call it Place A and went for a dinner to Place B. On the way back we got confused which train to take to get back and ended up splitting the group: some of us took the eastbound train, others westbound. We all ended up back at Place A nearly at the same time.

That's because the line makes a loop around the town centre:

(In case you are curious, our destination was Nydalen.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
^ yes, the line 4/6 has clearly been created to confuse the hell out of tourists!

I have to warn you: it is a bad trip. I haven't heard yet anyone to say it was a good trip to Redi.
I haven't been yet, and I have no intentions to.
I find Iso Omena horrible enough.
Same labyrinth tactics (pass as many shops as possible to get from A to B).
BTW, it's called a mall - a marketplace would be e.g. kauppatori (also quite a bad trip esp. in summer).

To those who wonder if they know how to choose the right metro rail - in Finland we have one metro, which is in Helsinki, the capital city, and it is only one line. Well yes, you go other track to the other direction and the other to opposite direction, but it should be quite easy.
I love your usage of "other" here, such a literal translation of "toinen".
(In English and other languages you would say "the one track and the other track" or something along those lines.)
Used to confuse me a lot when Finns said "The other" when there hadn't been a first before that. To the point that a friend told me the story of Kekkonen and "toinen tohelo", which nicely illustrates the usage of the word.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Thanks nonsuch for corrections. Changed it to Redi Mall. Didn't change any other track related stuff 'cause there was nonsuch errors which would have annoyed me enough.

When I was interrailing in Europe -95 I went to Berlin to visit two girls which I got to know in a Rainbow Gathering in Czechy.Borrowed them a bicycle and went to Potsdam area to see the houses. Came back in the evening and was driving the right street untill I noticed the name was wrong. Where did I make a wrong turn? Went back and suddenly I was again on the right street. Went back and forth a while before understood the street name was changed in one spot.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Went back and suddenly I was again on the right street. Went back and forth a while before understood the street name was changed in one spot.
I think this sort of stuff was fairly common in the old East during the first years after "Wiedervereinigung".
Whole towns changed names.

The Following User Says Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
And here we go again. After I had been on a sick leave for three weeks because I ended up in a panic disorder state (which I got out after three weeks) I decided to prevent me from ending there again. I packed 8 banana boxes with all my projects (pc, paintings, camera and photography, writings, etc. etc.) and took them to my parents storage. Phew. That was that. I was so relieved.

But then they put this big container for electricity waste on our yard. The first laptop I found (Lenovo Ideapad which did not boot up even after hard resets etc.) gave me 128Gb ssd and 4Gb ram stick. The second one I found was Samsung 940x. No ssd installed but found one of my Ubuntu Mate installatios Usb stick and that machine is fast! Not having money now to either buying an ssd or sdcard (thought that Tails on sdcard could be good with this one).

Then there was two backs of wires. After I had sorted out the ones I think I can use I noticed a phone. Pixi3 4.5 4G model. Made a factory reset and charged it full and it works. But could I install LineageOs on it? Yes! 14.1 should work. So how to do it? I have only once rooted one very difficult phone and that was some years ago and because it was so painfull process my mind has pressed that to oblivion.

First to root. Well here is a nice oneclickroot apk. Nice! Install and check and yes, I got confirmation my phone can be rooted. But have to subscribe. I don't want to. Uninstalling oneclick.

But what about kingoroot apk. Installing. Root. Unable. Aargh. Uninstall kingo.

But are there other oneclicks? Yes, xda developer forum suggests many. Framaroot. Site not working or something. Root Master. An advertisement site. Aargh.

Ok. I install oneclick on pc. Doesn't recognize device. Manual check and no, not root for my 5017x model. Well I install kingoroot on my pc. Kaspersky things not. After stopping three different adawares my russian friend decides to delete the whole installation file from my machine. I accept.

So here I am. Wanting to get LineageOs to a crappy old android phone which I won't probably even use but just can't leave it. I wan't to try that Lineage and it can't be that difficult! I remember that last time I downloaded Android SDK tools or ADB or something and installed twrp or something and connected usb and got supersu and root access. Now I just can't find easy enough instruction to complete this procedure.

So... if there is someone who tries to spread LineageOs to the world and you like challenges - here I am. Alone in this cruel world which seems to mock me. Without getting a hit from managing to win this stupid crappy phone. If there is a very easy step by step guide - I didn't find it. I searched. Android. Maybe we just have to depart and maybe you just have to end up to the same place where I rescued you from. If you do not want to be saved - fine.

Edit: Decided to still try. found really good instructuions from xda forum for this phone. Very detailed and links to all things you need to download. Clicked the first link and ended up to endless advertisement site which you can't get back.

Last edited by Maemish; 2019-12-29 at 18:11.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post: