Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
I was just reading about Google Wave (via O'Riley), and my mind started going again...

...when most of us look at ITs, are we looking at things in the fashion of connectivity and communication that is familiar, or are we interested in taking this nearly always-connected window and really doing something different that looks like the past only in the steps that it leaves?

To be honest, I'm not even sure that I can answer that question any, because I'm too busy using my IT as a digital work folder. But Google Wave shows that there's a connectivity to information and communication that really should be the foundation and depth of the IT interface and hardware.

Could we see similar on the IT? Or, would something similar on the IT be as well recieved because we want familiar use over something new?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vienna, Austria
I stopped listening at "I need new friends, let's go"

Google Wave is indeed very interesting. It has the potential to replace email, forums, wikis, blog and enthusiast sites, and improve collaboration. I do think it has the potential to be really big as bloggers and sites embed Waves.

What's also interesting is Maemo devices should be able to handle Wave via it's browser.

For those who haven't seen Google Wave, here's the summarized version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itc4253kjhw

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
That's what I'm thinking @reggie; I think that especially for a site/place like Maemo, this is the kind of thinking for community that could do well - administration and mods working together well though would need to be most fine tuned. But this could work, and very well.

I hate to pine up old threads, but this comment over in the N900 Annonucement thread is why a system like Google Weave makes sense for a blog like this:

Please open a new thread if you want to discuss this topic in more detail. Thanks! If you find good isolated cases then I suggest you to propose them at http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/

The same goes for MMS and any other feature you want to request officially. Having them exposed in the maemo.org Brainstorm with proposals and votes is at the end much more efficient and useful than here dilluted between posts #478 and #571, requested in several threads, etc.
If forums acted more or less like threads from the outset, instead of message logs, then you could have splintered conversations, and they would not break the general flow of other discussions.

If you will, discussions like a web versus like a series of scrolls loosly tied together.

Just another thought to consider to those who congregate here (or who wish to make a similar site).

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Wow, its nice to see the NIT community already thinking about Google Wave.

After I saw the Google Wave demo, it was refreshing to see a interface which can tie in all these different aspects together and mimic a live conversation much better than the existing forums, emails, PM, etc kind of technologies.

But again, will this be workable on the IT's ? If yes, that would be great.