Notices

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Allright, I am not sure if this is off-topic since strictly speaking this "application" is not running on any Maemo device but it's rather my quick'n'dirty hack for viewing excercise tracks on top of google maps.

Of course it works on both desktop and mobile devices since basically it's a html5 page.

Background: I use meeTrainer to log my running/bicycling/rollerblading tracks, but up no now I have not really ever viewed the data on a map, I just collect info on how long I ran and what time it took.
I used to have SportsTracker long time ago, but as it is propietary-closedSW-PoC I have dumped it.
However, SportsTracker did have one useful feature though; ability to view tracks on top of a map.

Now, meeTrainer is lots better and it saves the tracks on CSV format so I thought I'd have a go at deciphering the GPS data from the track files.
I already sync my meeTrainer data along with the rest of my phone's personal data to my own server via cloudsync.sh so I thought, maybe I could present that data from the server via a web page to any device I'd like to view it on...

I have never before thought that you can plot paths via Google Maps API, but that seemed a nice solution when I researched it. Turns out it's fairly easy to generate a page that shows custom data over the map.

Solution: I created a set of scripts that clean up the track data from meeTrainer's CSV files, and a PHP script that checks for user credentials and presents the track to the user.

The scripts are stored on my svn server: https://toosa.swagman.org/svn/runningmap/

The main logic is in the file map.php
Additionally, you need a password file and key file like the files runningmap_passwords.template and gmap_key.template
To gather&cleanup track data, you need the script prepare_tracks.sh and the launcher script uploadmonitor.py

You can see a demonstration what it looks like here: www.swagman.org/juice/runningmap/
Just log in with (username:demo, password:demo1)

Select one of the allowed tracks and hit "Draw"
(I have delibrately selected tracks that do not show up where I live)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Hmmm Oulu... I've walked there once during a holiday. Looks like you ran via the main street and not used the park

I'm going to look at your code as I'm slowly tweaking some php code to expand my Latitude replacement

The Following User Says Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by petur View Post
Hmmm Oulu... I've walked there once during a holiday. Looks like you ran via the main street and not used the park
Yes, I was on rollerblades so paved roads were the logical way to go.
Even as Oulu has cobblestone-paved streets in the middle of the city which are real pain to skate on

Originally Posted by petur View Post
I'm going to look at your code as I'm slowly tweaking some php code to expand my Latitude replacement
I propably will also tweak my code a little, I'd like to get elevation chart for the tracks overlaid on the map. Haven't decided yet how to present it best, though.