Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
we were given ipod touches at work in order to test out an app being developed. After the "cool, shiny!", I then thought, "oh, only 8GB, it's just a cheap gadget". then I checked price and found it wasn't cheap at all.

so then I had to boot windows because it seemed I couldn't get it initialised under linux. then I had to register with itunes, and then they had the temerity to ask for credit card even though I had no intention of buying DRM infested s*** from apple.
Just for the uninitated, the DRM has been removed on any file that has a "plus" sign which at this point is just about every file. And yeah the previous lock in was a contractual requirement made by the RIAA.

I tried doing it without giving apple my credit card, but the app downloader would report invalid login, so I wasted a lot of time on it before I tried app store in itunes app and realised it was that my account wasn't fully set up. I finally succumbed and gave it a credit card, which is due to expire soon. I later removed the card from the itunes/app store account - it said it was optional and I was able to download/install other free apps later.
Shocking! not doing what was asked resulted in an error. Truely shocking

oh yeah, did I mention that I had to weaken the WPA2 key because even after 8 goes it wouldn't work? it clearly doesn't like punctuation in the key. the nokia tablet had no problem, neither did wpa_supplicant.conf file for zaurus.
truly interesting. Did your password contain a "/" ? That's the only character I've seen trip up the OS (Well, Finder).

I copied on some music, using itunes naturally.

at home I reluctantly booted windows and installed itunes as I thought I might as well put some music on it. then itunes got stuck asking me to turn on/enable genius, so I did, but it kept going back to the genius enable page.
iTunes newbies tend to get stuck here. The genius addition was handled badly by Apple, but it's not hard to turn off.Other than that, you may have a bad install (but then again it is Windows).

so, finally, I added some music to the library. then I wanted to sync it on. oh no, you can't do that, you can only sync it with one computer at a time!?

OK, it might be crude, but rsyncing on a directory of mp3 files is a piece of p*** by comparison. In the time I have wasted on this POS, I think I could have written a simple webapp which would make choosing music to rsync to the tablet's memory card very easy.
Well that sync with one computer was/is another RIAA thing. So we can cast stones at the proper party. That said, there are plenty of third party software that will happily move your data from the iPod to any computer you want. Even playlists that you created.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Regarding the credit card issue: the larger question is, why SHOULD one be required? There ARE alternate means of payment (e.g., Paypal) after all. I think his complaint is legitimate.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
thanks sjgadsby, though it was a very saucy response I wont complain, knowing is half the battle and i didnt stand a chance lol.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Regarding the credit card issue: the larger question is, why SHOULD one be required? There ARE alternate means of payment (e.g., Paypal) after all. I think his complaint is legitimate.
True, however I think the thinking behind the credit card would be a combination of age verification and payment guarantee. Though I clearly can't confirm that. However upon thinking about it, i'm pretty surprised on the need to create an iTunes account to USE the iPod thing. I've been through two of them and never had that requirement. Perhaps it's a touch thing.

Originally Posted by speculatrix
since I'm on a roll with b1tch1ng, I figured I'd also complain that the device, which is brand new, wasn't up to date with firmware already, but of course it'll cost GB£6 (US$10 ?)

unlike TomTom who promise that brand new devices will get latest map upgrade within 30 days, there's no such mercy with Apple iPod touch. So, I had to, er, find an alternative update process ;-)
You'll note that with the Tom Tom you're paying for map updates, not OS updates (per your text), the iPod Touch update is for the OS and under the accounting rules that Apple uses apparently they are required to charge for changing that actual product. Not a lawyer or accountant so I can't speak to the specifics of the law.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Credit card

- you only need it to register and then to purchase music & apps
- for free apps, you don't need any credit card registered, so, after registration, you can easilly remove your credit cards informations

One computer only

- Apple has the most permissive DRM system managment on the market : it allows you to copy your purchased files (music, apps ...) on 5 devices ...
- Please compare with Microsoft or Sony online music stores and take a good relaxing laugh !
- Indeed, you cannot share music between iPods or iPhones, and you cannot use these devices to share music with any computer. In fact it's just because of intellectual property considerations, you know : you don't have the right to share the music you buy. It sucks sometimes but it's the law.

8 Gb

Well, 8 Gb is ennough for the music i want to carry with me, i don't see why the 8 Gb model is ludicrous ...
Overall what you say is typical from Windows as well as Linux users :
They just look at the numbers and don't really think about the use.

Often Apple solution were bashed because of showing smaller numbers than PC : smaller hard drives, smaller memory ... but the numbers never reflected the usefullness and the ergonomy of a device.

A good comparison would be the usual person looking for a compact camera : he/she would buy a 14Mega pixels Samsung not-so-cheap **** rather than a 8 Megapixel one with quite good sensor & noise managment.

I truly prefer a 8 Gb iPod touch than a 16 or 32 Gb Creative or Sony device using only their enbelievable **** called "Sony Connect".

Originally Posted by totololo View Post
Credit card

- you only need it to register and then to purchase music & apps
- for free apps, you don't need any credit card registered, so, after registration, you can easilly remove your credit cards informations

One computer only

- Apple has the most permissive DRM system managment on the market : it allows you to copy your purchased files (music, apps ...) on 5 devices ...
- Please compare with Microsoft or Sony online music stores and take a good relaxing laugh !
- Indeed, you cannot share music between iPods or iPhones, and you cannot use these devices to share music with any computer. In fact it's just because of intellectual property considerations, you know : you don't have the right to share the music you buy. It sucks sometimes but it's the law.
You'll want to amend this to say that you cannot move music between computers (other than purchased music) without the use of third party software. Something any user of the IT can complain about since most all the good stuff here is third party.

8 Gb

Well, 8 Gb is ennough for the music i want to carry with me, i don't see why the 8 Gb model is ludicrous ...
Overall what you say is typical from Windows as well as Linux users :
They just look at the numbers and don't really think about the use.

Often Apple solution were bashed because of showing smaller numbers than PC : smaller hard drives, smaller memory ... but the numbers never reflected the usefullness and the ergonomy of a device.

A good comparison would be the usual person looking for a compact camera : he/she would buy a 14Mega pixels Samsung not-so-cheap **** rather than a 8 Megapixel one with quite good sensor & noise managment.

I truly prefer a 8 Gb iPod touch than a 16 or 32 Gb Creative or Sony device using only their enbelievable **** called "Sony Connect".
People really need to learn how to use smart playlists that automatically update. After a certain point it is impossible to listen to one's entire collection in a single day, so most people would be suited to playlists that load certain music on rotation. Most, not all, people are served by this.

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
You'll want to amend this to say that you cannot move music between computers (other than purchased music) without the use of third party software. Something any user of the IT can complain about since most all the good stuff here is third party.
You can easilly copy any music you compressed in iTunes from a CD, just by a click-drag ... and the the copied file can be transfered to any computer, and played by any player able to read M4A files. but it's true the iPods&iPhones cannot be used for the transfer

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Victoria, BC
Credit card
- Apple has the most permissive DRM system managment on the market :
This is not true. E-music has no DRM. I can play music that I purchase there on any number of devices. I don't know why people think Apple stuff is so great. It is completely crippled with DRM. Brainwashed into thinking 5 devices is somehow a good deal.