Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
this is going intresting surely cia nsa will have a look at this thread

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I do not sync my browsers, and how could this be possible since I use the laptop, and my son uses the Nexus, and neither have touched the other machines?

Read back to my original posting, Google revealed information on my queries to another person's machine. How is that NOT a sequrity breach?

All the opposite, I was worried that children might get something not suitable for their eyes if somebody else (not specifically even of same household) has made queries that resulti onto such links.

Just read back what I posted in the first place, please.
Still you should check if somehow your son didn't use the sync option or you are sharing somehow the same account. On routers all your computers get an internal IP inside the router but the outside IP is the same for all of them. Maybe google detects that the other machine didn't have the updated cookie (with your search queries) and downloaded when the other computer connected to the network.

Also is your son using his own Google account (for Google Play for example) or is he using your account (maybe to BUY apps or stuff like that)?

Please try to reproduce the problems and check each and every sync option. Better it would be to post some screenshots with the problem!

P.S. I never quoted your post, when I was discussing about DDG and stuff like that I was discussing with the rest of the users here.

If you want your son not to be exposed to stuff not intended for his eyes here is the best solution:
  • Open up your router configuration and check which internal IP was given to him.
  • Go to DHCP setting and add a custom rule for his ip to switch from dynamic to static (so he would always have this inside the network).
  • Add custom rules with bad websites that you know he could visit, or you visited and you don't want him to visit.
  • Set those custom rules only for that static IP and your kid is safe.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
Well, that's not, what i meant. Please read my edit in post #14, i explained it in more detail. In short: your son forgot to log out of a google service on your laptop.
No, he never has used the machine, only I have user account on this laptop.

Also, I never use his Nexus, altough I have created a google account for him on it.

Please don't get me wrong, i'm no fan of google. I just don't think it's ok, from a thing that only happened once and only happened to you to come to that conclusion without making any further test.

You can do the following 2 tests (with different search-terms of course):

1. if you still have all your cookies, use another IP address ( for example by VPN) and try the same.
If it still happens, it has nothing to do with IP, it's cookie based

2. use a browser with absolutely no cookies and try the same (now with the same IP like your son again).
If it still happens, you seem to be right.

And also the question to all others: can anyone reproduce the behaviour described in the first post?
I will have to try to test this again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Also, I never use his Nexus, altough I have created a google account for him on it.
So, i'm pretty sure, after the creation of the account, Google logged you in automatically, or you logged in to test the account and did not log out.

When your son starts Chrome on his Android device he is logged in by default.

I just want to make clear, that the reason why this happens is not based on IP, it's based on cookies. So when using services like Google or FB, never forget to log out, it can have really ugly side-effects.

And in general: setting the browser to delete all cookies, when closing is a good advice, i think.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
I just want to make clear, that the reason why this happens is not based on IP, it's based on cookies. So when using services like Google or FB, never forget to log out, it can have really ugly side-effects.

And in general: setting the browser to delete all cookies, when closing is a good advice, i think.
Google/fb dont care if you are logged in or not, they read your cookies and connects you to your account anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
this makes no sense, there are IP addresses used by thousands of people like in universities or companies.
Google can very well distinguish between a "domestic" IP or a "school" or "business ip". Those RIPE-lists are public. They know you're connecting from a home.

Originally Posted by TheoX View Post
Also, why the hell are you hiding from, why DDG, I use BING on my phone and Google on my pc's and tablets, and I love it how they analyze all my activity and makes my searches even more relevant.
THANK YOU! Thanks to this thinking I can browse the web without being tracked (well, by commercial entities at least) with ease!

Imagine if the majority would use privacy-enhancing software, would use decentralized social media, would use the likes of ddg, sp or ixquick, then the advertising industry undoubtedly would take much more / even more elusive and harder-to-filter measurements to track and spy on people. Now, all I have to do is install Ghostery.

So please, do continue! Continue disregarding the effectiveness of statistics, so your surprisingly and ever increasingly accurate profile can be sold off to the highest bidder! Continue to being influenced by marketeers which try to manipulate you in ever more clever ways! Continue to think those companies make you such a great offer which will practically costs them money but will improver your life! The more people which think like you, the less marketeers will "need" me, the less they will try to know me, the less they bother me.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Marketers might not get interested in you, but what about governments? Maybe in the sea of "nothing-to-hide's" you'll look like you have something to hide. And as those of us who value privacy get fewer and fewer it *will* be easy to be scrutinized more and more.

And it's impressive what interests or actions might be considered questionable.

I think I want to travel back to the 80's... I might even buy a walkman.

Edit: Btw, TheoX, how do you think communism stayed there so long?

Last edited by qwazix; 2013-07-16 at 22:03.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by TheoX View Post
Because that was just after the fall of the communism. People were still terrified about what happened during that period. It's over 20 years now since the fall of the communism, I ain't afraid of nothing.

P.S. Don't forget, even if you don't let Google or whatever track you, and you do the best you can to hide, remember this: YOUR ISP IS WATCHING!
It's not the point whether you have or do not have something to hide. The point is, governments tend to have an interest in their subjects that goes way beyond them being brave citizens, tax payers and consumers.

What is the point then, you may ask? Well, that point is: It's nobodies business what I do with my life, beit online or offline.

You want to share everything you do? Please, go ahead. But leave me out of having to watch your activities. And neither would I appreciate to become part of the surveillance pool of the authorities because people say "that they have nothing to hide" and there fore it's OK to spy on everyone...

Did you check the youtube link I posted?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Basically startpage submits search data to google but without any identifiable information in it. So google still gets searches made etc but without knowing who did so...
It should be noted that Startpage will not allow searching if you have a blank user agent:

HTML Code:
"You may be using a privacy-oriented browser extension that conflicts with Startpage. Please disable this extension and try your search again."
As it has been shown that the user agent is a form of identifying information, one does wonder why a privacy oriented search engine requires it. Especially since they claim not to track it (and a bot could easily forge such information so it couldn't be used to stop automated queries).

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
but its certainly more preferable to using Google.
However, it doesn't change the fact that that's certainly true.

Last edited by DA5; 2013-07-17 at 18:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DA5 For This Useful Post:
Now this looks fishy and makes me think of duckduckgo.com but the serach doesn't give good results... and again I start moving in circles

Last edited by fw190; 2013-07-18 at 08:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post: