Active Topics

Jolla is too busy implementing:

Easily switch between open Android apps in the homescreen by tapping on their respective active covers i.e they are no longer grouped into one cover (experimental 1)
Add shortcuts to webpages in the app launcher area
Set separate synchronization schedules per mail account
Upload multiple files via Browser and be able to filter files by file type during file selection
Define email signature and sender name per account
Save unsent messages as drafts when messages app is pushed to background
Search word auto-completion in Jolla Store
Use stroke input method for writing in Chinese
Define an end date when creating/modifying recurring calendar events
Artist search support in Media player

10 months on and still no keyboard in sight, no support for actual linux apps (hey, go rewrite gnumeric instead of complaining). Going back to my trusty n900, where I can 'make && run' pretty much everything I want, I can live with it taking 5 seconds longer and not having the uberawesomely cool UX (yay, newer glibc/kernel thanks to android compatibility still sucks ***, we love the green/red leds blinkenlights even on bloody single app open - browser).

No scratches, just tears/blood, but wiped

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
I'm about to sell the same actually... Almost a year but nothing is greatly improved or implemented, still no official keyboard news. OS is still beta, HW is outdated, poor screen and camera. Nokia X2 has almost same spec and better screen (even with lower res) but less than half price of Jolla and they actually do the same job now. I had enough...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
What is your (plural) asking price?

I always wanted to try a Jolla but not enough to consider it worth anywhere near the full new price.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
What is your (plural) asking price?

I always wanted to try a Jolla but not enough to consider it worth anywhere near the full new price.
Are you based in UK? I want to get rid of mine as well - with the first one, white, black and aloe (all official) TOH. Are you interested?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Are you based in UK? [...] Are you interested?
Yes and yes, provided the price is interesting*).

*) That is, less than a half of a new one from Amazon. Is that realistic? Jolla is still not old enough and there are still not enough used ones around for a real price drop.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
szopin - you sound frustrated, I hope maybe you give this a little thought and reconsider. While it is your prerogative to return to using the N900, that device, and the community around it is slow dying as devices break and people move on. Right now, Jolla looks to be the best option in having a true Linux style smartphone and unless it gets supported, it will die and down the road, we're going to be stuck with just Android and IOS.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yes and yes, provided the price is interesting*).

*) That is, less than a half of a new one from Amazon. Is that realistic? Jolla is still not old enough and there are still not enough used ones around for a real price drop.
I plan to start with £150 (£140 for the device, as you said half price, plus £10 for the rest TOHs) bidding on eBay.

I had a re-consider when I saw the last post but think that my call history and message was lost twice for no reason and Chinese input method never improved since initial release, I pass.

(Sadly those official TOHs are no more than just changing colours, so I bought 4 colours genuine battery cover for my Nokia X2 and I can also change the bloody colours everyday, and they are less than half price of Jolla TOHs again...)

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
szopin - you sound frustrated, I hope maybe you give this a little thought and reconsider. While it is your prerogative to return to using the N900, that device, and the community around it is slow dying as devices break and people move on. Right now, Jolla looks to be the best option in having a true Linux style smartphone and unless it gets supported, it will die and down the road, we're going to be stuck with just Android and IOS.
Android is Linux and AOSP is more open than Sailfish (Sailfish has both most of hw adaption and most of UI, including Silica components closed). Also Ubuntu Touch is in RTM state and probably will soon hit physical devices and next month there will be Samsung Gear S smar****ch with phone functionality running on Tizen (in addition to other Tizen smar****ch available devices already).

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Android is only Linux-based, it doesn't even have a normal glibc. You can't do normal C++ apps there (no std::string, for example) In Sailfish at least you have the normal core, you can theoretically run anything (supposing you have the needed libraries).

But yes, I'm disappointed as well. Even no option to disable wifi automatically after getting out of range. No XWayland and solely comments "it ain't for touchscreens". No hwkb. Official TOHs bring no functionality. (we've got themes for it, we don't need TOHs). No flashing. And functionality szopin refers to should be there from the beginning! No one needs a half-baked product.

Neo900 would be the device of our dreams but the price is a major blocker.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Android is only Linux-based
It depends how you look - you could also say that Sailfish is only Linux-based. There is no such thing like a "normal Linux". Every operating system based on Linux kernel can be called Linux (distribution).