Active Topics

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Actually I DO agree with you here, however you took my words out of context.

If you read back What I said, it was;

Now where do I mention angry birds on my message....

To repeat; I am of the mind that Jolla should launch an Angry Birds TOH and a matching theme. Yes, and the quicker the better
You said about what promises I was talking, so it was one of them And i personally do not really want TOHs with themes and ringtones. I can get stickers and music from other resources, I expected more "hardware" TOHs. And if someone mention something about limited resources I will slap them as we can see that only 2 people on their on spare time and own resources can do more. Yes I mean all the LeToh and funkytohs and so on.

Btw i would like to point out that all people telling that Jolla is still here and they deliver and it's good, but it's only us expecting more are wrong in my point of view, because after all jolla is here and still exists because of people and not opposite. Because of those who support and spread the word, few devs who do code and surely all the pre-orders and fanboys( can't call someone otherwise who buys TOH just for theme for 30 euros with phone that has hw problems and "10+" native apps) . I think they actually need to pay back in some ways to people who still try to support them. But those relationships are only one way, which is the main problem. It's not only about UI or if it has FOSS core, otherwise we can use iPhone or even Android. It's about our involvement and cooperation. But as we asked still no bug tracker, no open road map, no open sourcing, no devs encouraging. All I see PR and those "shadow" statements with highlighting certain things but never making proper statement(e.g. Is "no native apps was promised and you can understand from cooperation anything", guess what, this way cooperation can me using users for own benefits only and PR each other)
They are not better than android in any FOSS way, except that android has communities that are more open and OS itself is more mature. If not java I would maybe ho android after all. On other hand there are windows and blackberry, though being closed source from the beginning they have more cooperation and "unlike"-ness, they try to squeeze into market with own benefits, they understand that after all user is ruling what is cool and what is not, they try to reach us. And please do kot talk about resources, I do understand the issues, but no one forced them or told them it would be easy, after all i'm end user and i pay not less that 400 euro for low spec phone with hw problems and no apps, so is it only my belief of them being what I want one day is all I get? If so it repeats history of maemo and we know where we'll get with it sadly, but with maemo being more open(ffs we can flash at least) community was able to make own updates and keep it alive, here we have dead end, though ironically mer and nemo actually were born here(oh and they did not want to even use TMO).
So again, yes there are news about Jolla, but what those news about? How users benefit from it? What we got from them up till now? More updates than N9? You compare updates by how many or quality and improvements? Do you consider that N9 was released more mature and that they told us to consider it as next step, but currently it is actually step backward( apps, features, UX, specs for price, even openess). I still do not get when people tell me "they already did a lot. The phone is awesome", I can tell that about any company or product. I even can say "they did nothing, phone is crappy" about any company or product, but facts after all are facts. It's being long way and waiting and as they said it would be different I still feel it as trick of "it's x from x+1 steps" like it was with maemo. Always thi"this time we make it right" and then they scratch everything and make same mistakes again. Not buying it anymore.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
I agree with much of what ZogG says. I did not pre-order and the travel to Finland to collect my Jolla with the though that it may still be work in progress. I expected a far more mature product. A smart phone in fact.

I did expect, given the dev background, that it would pick up where the N9 left off. It would have a social feed screen and such like but with more up to date H/W and a few other goodies.

So yes i am disappointed. No social feed screen, but clearly a place holder for it, no sat nav solution, dysfunctional music player and terrible audio on video recordings and many other issues and missing functions.

The excuse given is that Jolla is a small company and we will have to wait. Well that is not what I bought into. I bought into a community idea where plans and intentions were shared and the views of customers heard and acted upon. I now see development slow to a crawl and still very limited Jolla native s/w. I am willing to pay for applications so why not provide me a method to pay and incentivise developers too?

Yes I know there are a limited number of sailors but that should not be an excuse, it was never stated up front that Jolla was restricted by this and given what had been achieved at launch (given the change of H/W chip) I expected similar progress post launch.

Sadly my Jolla sits in a drawer as it is just not smart enough for my usage needs at the moment.

Last edited by bockersjv; 2014-10-22 at 08:29. Reason: typos

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
I agree with much of what ZogG says. I did not pre-order and the travel to Finland to collect my Jolla with the though that it may still be work in progress. I expected a far more mature product. [...]

So yes i am disappointed. No social feed screen, but clearly a place holder for it, no sat nav solution, dysfunctional music player and terrible audio on video recordings and many other issues and missing functions.

The excuse given is that Jolla is a small company and we will have to wait. Well that is not what I bought into.

[...]

Sadly my Jolla sits in a drawer as it is just not smart enough for my usage needs at the moment.
That's just sad for you - but you should move on and sell your Jolla if it's not for you. It will not change. No product in this world is made for everyone. Products have target groups and are tailored to their specific needs and expectations. It was a huge risk for all of us who pre-ordered to put our money into a product that we hadn't seen before, that we hardly knew anything about. Jolla and Sailfish were empty sheets and each of us drew his or her favorite phone onto these sheets in the most beautiful colors.

I was lucky, very lucky. My Jolla wasn't perfect from the beginning, but became my main phone after the March update and now exceeds my expectations by far. I'm proud to own it, happy to use it and very glad to see how things progress. It's much more useful to me than the N9 ever was. (Although I loved the N9, every aspect of it.)

You may have different usage patterns, other needs... and find out Jolla's not for you. That's the risk you took when you pre-ordered. It turned out bad in your case, good in mine. I just think it's not leading anywhere if you keep up the expectations you obviously had when you ordered. It's probably not that the Jolla phone is 'not mature enough' yet because it doesn't meet your expectations. It's just a different product, made for different people.

(OK, I admit that sometimes I explain to people I would never buy an iPhone because 'I'm the smartphone type of guy' and the iPhone 'isn't a samartphone yet'. So I do very much the same as you do. But I'm not serious about it. I know the iPhone makes certain people happy - and I'd suffer physical pain if I had to use it. It's just not my product, I'm not the target group. I would not wait for it to become what I want it to be via updates.)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post

I did expect, given the dev background, that it would pick up where the N9 left off. It would have a social feed screen and such like but with more up to date H/W and a few other goodies.

The excuse given is that Jolla is a small company and we will have to wait. Well that is not what I bought into.

Yes I know there are a limited number of sailors but that should not be an excuse, it was never stated up front that Jolla was restricted by this and given what had been achieved at launch (given the change of H/W chip) I expected similar progress post launch.

I think you made some errors when you pre-ordered:
- Jolla is not a N9 and was never intended to become a N9 with some updates
- Jolla is not Nokia
- Yes to have limited ressources means that Jolla is restricted. They have to make choices, to prioritize. Not sure how it cannot be the case?

At the end, Jolla became my main phone around March and never stopped to please me since then. I had never suffered from any nasty bugs so far : I was not expecting the phone to be working that well actually. That is why at first, I kept my N9 and waited a while before switching.
Oh for sure, I would love to have some additional features (DLNA for instance, though it seems Jolla is working on something currently), some fine-tuning here & there, some bugs to be fixed (like the browser misplaced click... or some connection problem but actually now quite rare) but I am as well so happy to see some aspects of the OS and of the community.

It is quite sad to see enthusiast people quite desperate about their Jolla phone because they were just expecting too much... (not sure what actually)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by P@t View Post
I think you made some errors when you pre-ordered:
- Jolla is not a N9 and was never intended to become a N9 with some updates
- Jolla is not Nokia
- Yes to have limited ressources means that Jolla is restricted. They have to make choices, to prioritize. Not sure how it cannot be the case?

At the end, Jolla became my main phone around March and never stopped to please me since then. I had never suffered from any nasty bugs so far : I was not expecting the phone to be working that well actually. That is why at first, I kept my N9 and waited a while before switching.
Oh for sure, I would love to have some additional features (DLNA for instance, though it seems Jolla is working on something currently), some fine-tuning here & there, some bugs to be fixed (like the browser misplaced click... or some connection problem but actually now quite rare) but I am as well so happy to see some aspects of the OS and of the community.

It is quite sad to see enthusiast people quite desperate about their Jolla phone because they were just expecting too much... (not sure what actually)
I was not expecting too much, just a phone that worked. I did not expect an N9 progression but expected to see aspects of the N9 MeeGo version working in Jolla i.e. the Social feeds screen, proper scrolling in screens, Turn by turn sat nav and a music player that works. Also a video recorder with acceptable sound would be good.

Jolla needs customers and needs to be a credible alternative rather than a hobbyist phone. I boarded early and knew there would be a bumpy ride, those bumps are continuing and i see no support from any partners for the Sailfish OS. I expected a lot more of that even without Jolla promises.

I have yet to see anyone else in the Uk with a Jolla or find a new user that is not completely baffled by the interface. It does make it a hard sell. I do however see people leaving the Jolla ship and very little contact from the company to the customers.

I do hope things change and will be keeping hold of my Jolla with the hope that it can become the smart phone I was sold.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by P@t View Post
Oh for sure, I would love to have some additional features (DLNA for instance, though it seems Jolla is working on something currently), some fine-tuning here & there, some bugs to be fixed [...]
There is one more aspect here...
When I'm not impressed with the state of things in SailfishOS/Jolla, nobody stops me from rolling my sleeves up, and coding my own solution. No jail to break out of, root just a click away, comprehensive documentation, familiar system...
And contrary to popular belief, there is a helpful community doing lots of experimentation, fine-tuning, tweaks etc. You just need to turn a deaf ear for malcontents made noise.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 217 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Indonesia, Banyuwangi
Anx I Know what we likes from it is the swipe and ambaince
Just make it easy sir