Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
At the moment, it's text messaging only.
"At the moment" still sounds hopeful (XMPP)

But full featured core implementation of SIP and XMPP should definitely be committed to and confirmed or mine will be shipping off to Australia upon arrival. No mistake on that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Some fast notions from the top of my head:

The phone is fast, responsive and intuitive coming from N9. Iīve gotten it to freeze when I took a photo (I heard this is a known bug, but hard to reproduce =) and a few times the pulley menus have frozen as well.
Map app works well and seems to be quite fast. No option for offline navigation, didnīt work when I turned wlan and internet off. Has turn-by-turn navigation, you can choose car or by foot.
You canīt change the options in the lock screenīs pulley meny (not yeat, at least).
Whatsapp and Spotify work well.
I have received only one call from Whatsappa registration, sound quality seemed ok.
Universal copy-paste seemed to work, at least between native Notes and Quicklist and Android FB.
Plays FLAC (yay!), sound quality is good. Occasional creaks from pulley menus can be heard when I have my ear phones.
The feed doesnīt seem to work, or I just donīt know how yet. When I pull from down, it brings out the notifications etc but doesnīt show the FB/etc feed like in demos. Have to look more into this later.
The limited TOH contains an ambience (orange stripes, called The First One) and ring tones (havenīt looked into those yet).
The browser seems to be fast, although the scrolling could be a bit faster. No landscape mode yet, as is known. The options bar appears at the bottom of the screen when you scroll up a bit and you have to choose the tab bar to type in the url.

And oh, I almost forgot: I got Marc to sign my TOH (on the inside of course, so it wonīt wear off). Apparently I was the first one, again, to get one signed by him (he had only signed one n900 previously). =D

The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to Tujutzki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Is it planned that there will be an official swype keyboard?
I can't give you a proper answer on that. Swype isn't just a piece of technology - it's a product (http://www.nuance.com/landing-pages/products/swype/), and as such, would require us talking to Nuance (or vice versa) and coming to an agreement about how things should work.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 121 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Durham, UK
No. Nothing technical stops something like that being done (we use the same input method framework as the N9, a few generations further on) - there simply isn't a keyboard implemented like that.
Maybe Jolla could rekindle the Meego team's relationship with Swype ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to gabrielharrison For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Us it possible to change what happen with swipe left right with configuration only?

Possible to add more screens to the OS?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Install zsh from mer-tools instead of worrying about it. You'll thank me later. :-)
I think the problem is a bit more elaborate. Mer caters for GPLv3 allergic vendors, but the assumption that all vendors are GPLv3 allergic is worng. Jolla isn't I presume. So, the proper way to do that would be to make two interchangeable subsets of packages within Mer (those won't be all Mer packages, just some which are affected by this issue). I.e. one set for GPLv3 allergic vendors, and other for GPLv3 tolerant. So these sets could be replaceable by installing some corresponding metapackage.

Do you think this can work out? Keeping some packages forever frozen in ancient versions for all users because of the GPLv2 nature sounds a bit weird to me.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-11-28 at 10:21.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Us it possible to change what happen with swipe left right with configuration only?

Possible to add more screens to the OS?
Do you mean when you swipe from lock/home screen or in general? No options at the moment at least.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tujutzki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cvp View Post
What about XMPP ???

- is it only for text message?
- can we do calls/video-calls?
- file transfer like picture, videos, other files like apk ....

i have a XMPP Server, i can create a user for you to test all them... also PM me
How'about Linphone? Someone could test it if it works and report.
https://f-droid.org/repository/brows...d=org.linphone

What would be useful (post whistle-blowing era), is an app to make encrypted video calls over ZRTP.
http://code.google.com/p/csipsimple/

Last edited by zimon; 2013-11-28 at 10:36.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Swype isn't just a piece of technology
Yep, I'm aware of that.

and as such, would require us talking to Nuance (or vice versa) and coming to an agreement about how things should work.
Are we saying Jolla have not even started such discussions? Or are you saying Nuance wanted too much in licensing fees?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Tujutzki View Post
Do you mean when you swipe from lock/home screen or in general? No options at the moment at least.
I mean in general. Like an example pre-configured so you can swipe from left to right the browser is presented instead of current view. It's so lame to have same action both left and right. inefficient

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience