Active Topics

As in the header, I was not able to successfully pair with the Think Outside keyboard. When I tried, I would immediately get the "pair failed - try again" error message. OS2008 apparently did not even try to pair because the interval from pressing the key to the time the error message appeared was instantaneous.

When I e-mailed Nokia, they said that there was no known problem with OS2008. Tech Support then went on to say that they did not support this keyboard and warned me that if I should damage my N800 by using an unauthorized accessory that it would void my warranty! No help there!

Since I prefer to use a keyboard for e-mail and the like, I reflashed the N800 with OS2007 and was successfully able to pair with the keyboard.

Does anyone have any experience with N800/OS2008/Think Outside Stowaway keyboard combination?

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
It does pair and work with OS2008. I've paired three of these now with 3 different N800s all running OS2008. Just go into the Control Panel and pair things through the Keyboard setup option once you have the Stowaway visible. From what I've seen in these threads, most of the time people slip up on the keyboard side of things. (IE not holding the fn key down to enter numbers, forgetting to hit enter at the end, etc)

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Please discuss this general problem in this thread - we don't need one thread per keyboard type, it's a problem affecting several different keyboards.

The bugzilla entry is also here.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
I paired this weekend with no problem. Try turning both devices off and starting over.

Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
It does pair and work with OS2008. I've paired three of these now with 3 different N800s all running OS2008. Just go into the Control Panel and pair things through the Keyboard setup option once you have the Stowaway visible. From what I've seen in these threads, most of the time people slip up on the keyboard side of things. (IE not holding the fn key down to enter numbers, forgetting to hit enter at the end, etc)
Hello,
I must agree with those who have had difficulty pairing with Stowaway Keyboard. I had no trouble with the 2007 OS, but the new 2008 seems not to have an adequate time interval to accept the carefully enterred code confirmation from the keyboard. HOWEVER, I made the mistake of restoring a back-up on the initial flash AND when I reflashed without restoring the previous back up and then immediately attempted to pair with my "Think Outside Stowaway" keyboard, the connection was established IMMEDIATELY. I hope this works for others as well as it did in my case. I also regret doubting the NOKIA 2008 update, which seems to have much potential. JW

Last edited by j2u; 2008-01-02 at 20:09.

Originally Posted by Bama Brian View Post
When I e-mailed Nokia, they said that there was no known problem with OS2008. Tech Support then went on to say that they did not support this keyboard and warned me that if I should damage my N800 by using an unauthorized accessory that it would void my warranty!
A bluetooth device could "damage the N800"? If at all possible someone should track down the ***** tech support guy and report him to Nokia management.