Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Angstrom uses ipkg (and not apt-get like Ubuntu) and more embedded stuff so there are a few extra hoops to jump through, unfortunately, direct transplants are not likely without serious package management breakages. Not impossible to do it right, mind you, just requires a bit of extra work (although getting the package into OpenEmbedded would probably be better that forcing stuff from Ubuntu).

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
So, that means it could be possible to put maemo apps on it if the dependencies are met? A few of the apps Id want would be Atscene, Evince, Maemopad+, Xournal...maybe even canola.

Yes. Python stuff (like canola) is probably the easiest as it's the least sensitive to actual versions/ABIs. Maemopad and Xournal are not that easy, as AFAIK they use specific Maemo libs (which are obviously not present on the Touchbook). No clue about Evince or Atscene as I don't use them.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
I hope Evince will especially, as it is what I use for all my ebooks that are in pdf format and all my cbr's and cbz's. Canola would kick *** on this though. Are there any programs similar to maemopad and xournal made for ARM that may work that you can think of right off hand?

Last edited by munky261; 2009-07-07 at 18:50.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
evince is the gnome pdf reader, so that should be no issue.

atscene however strikes me as closed source, and so may only be ported if digia finds it worth it...

Oh wait, the angstrom is gonna be xfce.
So now the app has to satisfy Xfce as well. I would rather have Xfce due to the memory constraints than use GTK and Gnome.
Are there any apps that fit ?

XFCE has nothing to do with the app, it's just the desktop environment. If you have the GTK or Qt or whatever libs the app requires, it will run regardless what the desktop environment it is (that's why you can run GTK apps under KDE or Qt apps under Gnome).

BTW XFCE is built on top of GTK, just like Gnome.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
from personal experience, xfce can make use of most anything slightly gnome related, as long as its not a applet or similar (tho there are ways for that as well).

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
According to Engadget, it's shipping.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Yay! Better bump my request to them to be sure I get mine!

Tags
baby's arm, holding an apple