Notices

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Opera crashes. MicroB just doesn't load any page, but no crash at all.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Well, it may look like that but the daemon could be crashing in background (leading to the missing pages

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Denmark
Adblocking for Opera Mobile on N900:

For those of you who don't know, it is possible to block ads in Opera, and this is also true for Opera Mobile.

In Opera this is done by excluding certain domains/pages from being loaded. These are stored in a file called urlfilter.ini.

First download this file: http://www.wikiupload.com/vOnHZCdL (urlfilter.ini) and save it somewhere on your N900.

The go into Opera and type "opera:config" and hit enter.
Search for "filter" and you'll see a path to urlfilter.ini. Tab the field, and select the file, in the place where you saved it on you N900.

Restart Opera - Ads should now be blocked for the majority of pages.

Urlfilter.ini courtesy of Tamil: http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/ad-block

More urlfilter.ini files can also be found here, though, I don't know how the very BIG urlfilter.ini files affect Opera Mobile yet.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to real_per For This Useful Post:
...or just install AdVoid, which does something similar using your "hosts" file... and works with *all* your browsers, without changing anything in them :-)

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Well, it may look like that but the daemon could be crashing in background (leading to the missing pages
Thanks, Bundyo. Maybe you could point me to some solution?

Last edited by alephito; 2010-06-15 at 20:05.

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
...or just install AdVoid, which does something similar using your "hosts" file... and works with *all* your browsers, without changing anything in them :-)
.. Would you call that "just" ?
As far as I can see Advoid isn't available for N900 yet, and I see no direct directions on how to append a adblock list for N900 anywhere.

It sounds pretty cool, and I'd like to try it but it's very "Linuxy", as in fiddling around in xterm, workarounds, "coming soon", whereas the urlfilter.ini took me all 30 seconds :-)

Originally Posted by real_per View Post
.. Would you call that "just" ?
As far as I can see Advoid isn't available for N900 yet, and I see no direct directions on how to append a adblock list for N900 anywhere.
Yes, definitely "just", as it is mentioned near the end of the Advoid thread that the Maemo4 .deb also works in Maemo5 even if the package was never pushed to the Fremantle repos. So it's just a matter of downloading it to the N900 from Garage and installing it.

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
Originally Posted by Sphinx780 View Post
It took me a bit to figure this out as well. Long press until you get the menu to edit/clear. Then lift your stylus/finger off the screen. The menu will stay and you can then choose the action you are looking to accomplish.

I was trying to slide my finger to the menu like I do in MicroB and it kept opening the bookmark as well.
perfect!
had me baffled that one!

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by alephito View Post
Thanks, Bundyo. Maybe you could point me to some solution?
Nah, I have no idea why it happens.

Is the Opera browser built using Qt? Im so enjoying the smoothness and kinetic scrolling.. seriously it makes the phone's smoothness comparable to iphone

Tags
fast browser, opera