Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
Replies: 69

Originally Posted by longcipher View Post

The lagginess is general throughout the system - sometimes swipes aren't recognized or they lag. The whole thing doesn't feel solid - like it's teetering on the edge of crashing sometimes.

I [U]really[U] want this to be my everday phone. Do I have a dud? Are some of you able to fly around the system with zero lag or crashes? I need this to be as fluid as my current Windows Phone - or what is the point of switching? I don't care about the lack of apps, I just need email (threaded emails would be AWESOME), calendar, contacts, and a decent web-browser (bookmarks would AWESOME) and I am happy.
No lag here. Lags I've seen have always come when I have been installing software from Ovi Store at the same time when I was doing something else. Maybe after I had added lots of music, as tracker/smartsearch process indexed stuff.
Other times; smooth as butter. No matter if I was using 3g or wifi. Fluidness wise the experience is on par with WP7.5 Mango I played a week with at work.

You may have dud or more probably some program behaving badly. I suggest you turn DEV-mode on from settings to get to launch 'htop' from terminal, and then press shift-P and shift-T to see if anything is spiking the processor.
Rscs Monitor from Ovi Store doesn't seem to update the process list on cpu usage list, so I'm afraid Htop is must.

Also, no crashes in two weeks I've had the phone. Note: I don't use Facebook client at all (in case that proves to be the cause of problems).

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Philadelphia
Originally Posted by Manatus View Post
No lag here. Lags I've seen have always come when I have been installing software from Ovi Store at the same time when I was doing something else. Maybe after I had added lots of music, as tracker/smartsearch process indexed stuff.
Other times; smooth as butter. No matter if I was using 3g or wifi. Fluidness wise the experience is on par with WP7.5 Mango I played a week with at work.

You may have dud or more probably some program behaving badly. I suggest you turn DEV-mode on from settings to get to launch 'htop' from terminal, and then press shift-P and shift-T to see if anything is spiking the processor.
Rscs Monitor from Ovi Store doesn't seem to update the process list on cpu usage list, so I'm afraid Htop is must.

Also, no crashes in two weeks I've had the phone. Note: I don't use Facebook client at all (in case that proves to be the cause of problems).
Thanks for the reply & advice. I am going to try deleting my Facebook account on the phone. I deleted my Skype account already, thinking that may be the cause. If it is Facebook, well then - oh well - I don't really need that on my phone, or in my life.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by GunsNRoses View Post
You may try this:

Go to Settings>Applications>Feeds>Auto-update interval

and try changing time.. it gives you an option from 10 minutes to 24 hours.
Yes, I've done this several times but no help. By tapping from the notification row on top I see that there is a transfer going on for feeds update but this notification just stays there infinitely. So the scheduling of feed update seems to work but for some reason, after 1 or 2 of successfull updates, it 'freezes'.

Originally Posted by longcipher View Post
Thanks for the reply & advice. I am going to try deleting my Facebook account on the phone. I deleted my Skype account already, thinking that may be the cause. If it is Facebook, well then - oh well - I don't really need that on my phone, or in my life.
Also; Hadn't checked it before but Battery Usage from Ovi Store seems to be able to differentiate individual programs too, in case they are not part of meego system itself.

Was expecting much better use of swipe.
For instance:

1) When on open apps screen you can close all apps by swiping from top edge downward and possibility of asking "close all apps?"

2) Also where the heck is front camera use even just for stills, throw us a bone!

3) Maps and Drive should be one, or at least app load time should be almost instantaneous to alleviate the wait for navi instruction when initiated from Maps app.

4) Was expecting serious browser improvements like quicker loading similar to Safari on iPhone speed.

5) Well I don't know about this one but I hope keyboard is seriously improved. Tried my brother's iPhone 4S and iPhone handled all my typing with no errors and was fast!

6) I've read the network dropping bug wasn't fixed in this release-hope I'm wrong because once in a while it does drop but what pisses me off more is when I'm in a dead zone and come out of one and phone doesn't catch network signal without me enabling and disabling flight mode.

7) I think a small 3-day forecast should be in feeds screen/panel; they've got the room for it, at least on the lock screen or maybe both?

8) I don't know if this was fixed but I hate when phone has to automatically lock when screen is idle. Why no option to lock it when I want like iPhone or N900 simple press/flick lock button and it's locked.

9) Also don't know if this was fixed but seriously the Song Playing on lockscreen is terrible. Buttons are too small and there's so much room being wasted on the lock screen why not do something with it? Maybe show events/to-dos on lock screen and/or weather forecast

10) I hope this was fixed-stupid two-step process to answer calls-no phone should have this especially a so-called "SMART"phone.

11) Document editor-come on that's definitely a given.

12) In status menu when it shows bluetooth have a switch button near it to easily switch on/off maybe also by wi-fi.

13) If an sms is more than a line or so the preview given as a status bar type notification only shows some of message. It should be like Android and show you whole message by first showing preview of first part and after 2 secs the second part etc so you easily read whole message without being interrupted like while you're in a game.

14) They should've put contact shortcuts on app screen and/or lock screen and/or on QuickLaunch bar thats swipeable from right or left which reveals a different set of shortcut icons all user set.

15) BIG PLUS for this one: OCR built-in to camera app. I miss that feature, Nokia had it for my E70 and other phones as a beta app I think. Forgot what it was called. Anyways it was 85% accurate with a decent pic and with the N9's camera should a lot more accurate than E70. This would give Nokia a big edge over competition if they bring back this app into their phones.

16) Document app should render PDF a lot quicker than it does now.

17) How about option to choose the result of swiping from each edge when in an app. Meaning: if you are in an app and what to get to app screen quickly-you swipe from left side of screen. For feeds panel you swipe from right side of screen. For open apps without closing curent open app-swipe from bottom upward. For open apps screen with closing current app-swipe from top downward.

Sorry for this people. I appreciate all the new things coming to N9 and have been patiently waiting for it through PR 1.2 but I feel like there's a lot that hasn't been covered.

Think of any other things I might've missed? Sound off let us know! You never know it could be implemented just from reading that lucky post.

PS Click on orange link to vote for these improvements Bug 756

Last edited by isfr21; 2012-01-29 at 05:09.