Active Topics

yep. that's why no irda, no fm transmitter, etc etc. these are *geek* add-ons and would just increase price with little WOW factor for most end-users.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by droll View Post
yep. that's why no irda, no fm transmitter, etc etc. these are *geek* add-ons and would just increase price with little WOW factor for most end-users.
FM Transmitter gets the ulimate WOW!-s from any audience in a car with crappy music. Experience.
IMHO geek add-ons or not, I fear this to be ridiculously overpriced at the beginning.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zdanee For This Useful Post:
Completely disagree...I had several friends that bought the n900 because it had the FM transmitter

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jnack95 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
People who buy fm transmitters in convenience stores will hardly agree that the feature is too geeky for them.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
remember, a lot of us are coming from the *geek* community so we have learned to love the N900 for what it is. this phone, the N9, is not meant for that community (at least not from the bits of information that have surfaced so far) so there's bound to be dislikes / hatred. it doesn't mean the phone is bad. it just means Nokia is targeting a different segment. this might just be a stop-gap measure until their WP phone appears.

if what i'm reading is right, the majority of folks whom nokia are targeting and who might buy this device will probably not care that it runs meego underneath. so it makes perfect sense for nokia to release this phone now.
I agree with the first paragraph, and disagree with the logic of the second one (although I think Nokia doesn't).

If all you're doing is targeting potential iPhone buyers, this is the wrong move. Do that with WP7. Existing ones won't give the N9 a thought until the iPhone5 is announced, after which I doubt they'll even remember the N9.

Nokia is setting up future N9 users for a big surprise once they abandon MeeGo, especially if they can't entice developers aboard.

Had it been released as a C900 or X15 fine, just don't call it N9 and don't waste the ONLY MeeGo phone on an outdated iPhone clone, even if it's 100 times better (then at least support it).

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
don't waste the ONLY MeeGo phone on an outdated iPhone clone
this phone was designed when meego was supposed to replace symbian, not wp7. I'm sure it will sell, it just doesn't seem to have a future, which is a shame.

By the way it still comes with meego, meaning full mutli-tasking and other goodies. Its not an iphone clone.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by jnack95 View Post
Completely disagree...I had several friends that bought the n900 because it had the FM transmitter
Especially using it to broadcast your music collection to an FM stereo!

"Regular people" are amazed and say things like:

"How are you doing that without bluetooth?"

"You mean a can keep my regular car stereo or any stereo and listen to my music stored on my phone?"

"Can you turn lead into gold?"

"Can your phone solve our economic problems?"

"Can you explain the last episode of 'Lost' too?"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
There is a new device called N9 with MeeGo 1.2 HARMATTAN on it.
So it seems to be step 5 and that means, because it is step 5 of 5 there will be no further steps. That's sad because step 5 couldn't convinced me.

I don't know on which price the N9 will be sold, but if it is not really cheap i fear it will not be very successful. And if it isn't successful I fear there will be no successor.
Meego 1.2 Harmattan != Harmattan. case closed.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ London
Well, I'm almost sold.

No hardware keyboard. Honestly, I can take it or leave it. I use both hardware and software keyboards on my N900.
No removeable battery? Never owned a spare for any phone I've ever had, so it's not an issue.
I don't use the video out on the N900 so the lack of HDMI on the N9 won't be an issue. It still has video out, though.
I've always found the FM transmitter to be problematic in my car and prefer to use the AUX input on my in-car stereo. So the lack of a transmitter won't be an issue either.
Lack of in-browser flash is disappointing, but it's not the end of the world and HTML5 is gaining ground all the time.
64gb and out of the box FLAC support are most welcome, an 8MP camera is a bonus as is the bigger, harder screen, and the UI looks the part as does the handset itself.
I'll be keeping my N900, though, as I like to use it as a mobile linux PC.
I won't buy an iPhone (not keen on Apple) and as for Android with all it's bells and whistles, well, I like to be different.
It will be a straight fight between the WebOS Palm Pre3 and the Meego-Harmattan N9 for my next phone.

Unless, of course, somebody announces a true successor to the N900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barrieluv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 18 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Lahti, Finland
I'm totally getting this phone. The Meego/Harmattan effort alone deserves it. UI/UX seems to be refined to a level where it clearly surpasses my current phone, iPhone 4.

And no hw keyboard is no biggie for me, in fact I prefer my phones slim and with no moving parts. (E.g. the spring inside the lens cover of N900 broke after one month heavy usage.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stonda For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????