Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Can anyone tell me if there has been any confirmed bugs reported about GPRS or wifi?

GPRS (follow-up tests after having the IMEI registered by Tmo)

I have long stretches in areas where I live that I lose data connection and then lose the call connection. Much to the entertainment of my family, I was obsessed with testing, so would compare our phone signals. N-Gage, T349, Tmo Blast, G1, Dash, SE walkman phone and Nokia 3610 all at least work for calls in those areas. Could only test N-Gage, Dash and G1 for data, but they worked.

N900 goes to one bar, a pop-up says "No data connection" and then the one bar will go away and a pop-up says "No cellular service".

I think the problem may be that Nokia cut the mW down to compensate for the smallish battery in a heavy feature device, but I also hope it is a bug. Again Tmo registered the IMEI, but it made no difference.

Wifi:

Others have posted too, but it appears another power saving effort to offset the battery size is the wifi output. Default is weak and prone to losing data connections, but medium fixes it.

Besides my lame a55 conjecture about Nokia perhaps dialing down the radios to offest the battery size, are there any known hardware bugs reported for GPRS or wifi? I can not find them, but could be looking in the wrong place.

As I have said before, the N900 is an amazing device and true netbook in a phone form factor, but my usual experience with Nokia products is they also have great phone signal.

The N97 apparently was weak... they use the surplus GPRS radio chips for the N900?

With wifi, the power output is an insignificant part of total wifi energy consumption.

N97 and N900 have the gsm and 3g antenna in same location, are you holding your hand there?