Since I need a modem on the road first thing I needed to setup was USB/Bluetooth tethering for my Powerbook with my N900.
I had so much trouble with blackberry/Palm Pre/other smart phone tethering in the past that I thought I'd start in the morning so I have all day to figure that one out.
Well, after 2 minutes I was done. I was rather amazed.

Step 1:
Plug-in N900 with USB cable into Mac

Step 2:
Select PC Suite mode on your N900

Step 3:
Select this:

Enter *99# for the phone number

Step 4:
Click on Advanced
Enter the APN as shown below (T-Mobile USA only)

Click Connect and voila:

Hope this helps.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Scummer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kirkland, WA
Hmm... Seems a little slow. You can't be on 3.5G. 3G maybe?

And yeah, it's always been easy on a Mac. My E71 sets up the same way.

those results seem to be inline with what i get on my phone. any tips for bluetooth? i'll probably end up using the usb but it would be nice to have

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kirkland, WA
Originally Posted by fidel cashlow View Post
those results seem to be inline with what i get on my phone. any tips for bluetooth? i'll probably end up using the usb but it would be nice to have
Bluetooth is virtually the same. Pair the phone with your Mac. When it asks if you want to set up the phone as a modem, click yes. Then enter these same settings and you're good to go.

Every time I enter PC Suite Mode on my Mac when I try to disconnect I get a kernel panic. EVERY time. I'm on 10.6.2 a year old Macbook.
Anyone else having this issue?

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainGinyu For This Useful Post:

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hove, UK
here you will find the APN settings for UK networks, if people need them.

If only syncing was as easy *sigh*...

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna
Originally Posted by CaptainGinyu View Post
Every time I enter PC Suite Mode on my Mac when I try to disconnect I get a kernel panic. EVERY time. I'm on 10.6.2 a year old Macbook.
Anyone else having this issue?
I connected the USB cable once to macbookpro (10.5), selected data mode. I could see the mac os specific linked folders on the mounted volume, but it disconnected and reconnected several times, showing an os warning on the mac each time. did not transfer anything. kernel panic immediately after pulling the usb plug out of the macbook. the first time i ever saw a kernel panic on the mac... i submitted a bug report to apple (since a kernel panic is by definition always an os bug). did not have time (and courage) yet to try it again.

Hello to All.

I live in Dubai and use Etisalat, is there anyway I can connect my macbook to N900 as a modem?

Any settings? Coz I tired what is mentioned here and is does not work, it says ( An error occured with the modem. Try reconnecting. If the probelm continues, verify your settings and contact your administator.)

Help will be appreciated guys.

Thanks
Mike...

Tags
bluetooth, easy, mac, mac os x, modem, n900, tether, usb