Active Topics

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
We can start filling the Maemo Summit 2009 schedule by adding the sessions that are obvious or expected.

For instance, it is expected to have sessions about the status the of maemo.org website, something about the bugsquad, something about packaging, something about the extras-devel process....

Please add here the sessions you are expecting to see, if possible adding your thoughts on

- Duration: default 25', longer sessions possible if there is a good reason, 5' lightning sessions possible too.
- room (large - medium - small).

Use this thread also to tell what sessions are you expecting from Nokia, both for Friday (schedule run by Nokia entirely) or in the other 2 days (Nokia sessions to go through the community selection process just like the rest).

And use this thread also to suggest session you expect from community / third party projects. For instance, Mer is a clear candidate.

Let's also discuss who will decide on the items going to the schedule. Council? Dave? Erik? Myself? A combination of these? Somebody else?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
  • A 'Getting started with the Fremantle SDK' could be useful, just a here is how to install it, what it is capable and a simple hello world app?

Small to medium room, 25 minutes should be enough if its an introduction or 50 minutes if its an in-depth how to develop for the next tablet talk. I would prefer the latter but being a developer I could be biased.

• Definitely a talk on how to package for extras-devel as I've had a lot of trouble with that lately. Go through the process of taking a main stream app or dependency and making it available to extras.

Again, small to medium room, 25 minutes.

• An introduction to the new Maemo council as there will be a change before the next summit.

Large (let everyone meet the council), 25 minutes to outline their agenda's and hopes for their term.

• Some Mer talks, introduction to actual usage and future plans.
    Medium room (I think there is a lot of excitement surrounding Mer) and maybe a couple of 25 minute talks, Introduction talk; 'what mer is all about' and future talk; where is Mer heading and what needs doing.

EDIT: Added room size and talk length.

Last edited by Baloo; 2009-06-10 at 11:39.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Baloo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Thanks! Please tell your expectation on duration and rooms. It will help finding the rigth time and place for those sessions.

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
5 minutes lightning talks isn't too short ?
I wasn't in the last summit to see if this works well, but usually those kind of talks are done on 10' or 15'.

The Following User Says Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
5 minutes lightning talks isn't too short ?
I wasn't in the last summit to see if this works well, but usually those kind of talks are done on 10' or 15'.
In GUADEC they are 5' and they rock. In the last Summit they were also 5' and people was haoppy about them too.

Winning TV ads last no more than 30 secs. Top of the Pop songs rarely go beyong 4 minutes. Most TV headlines and reports keep their duration well below 5 minutes.

Most important things can be explained in less than 5 minutes (example)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
In GUADEC they are 5' and they rock. In the last Summit they were also 5' and people was haoppy about them too.
Ok, I'm convinced , I was only remembering the Fosdem lightning talks, but I have also assisted to several 5' talks and even 90'' talks (my memory is too bad these days).

Most important things can be explained in less than 5 minutes (example)
Yes, you are right

Only Baloo has expectations? So many discussions going on in talk.maemo.org and no more ideas about topics you would like to see covered in the Maemo Summit?

For instance, what would USERS like to see in the Summit schedule?

Please add here the sessions you are expecting to see
Topics I'd like to see, in no particular order:
  • Mer (25' or more, large)
  • Fremantle stars, eg lessons learned in porting to Fremantle etc (25', large)
  • ContextKit (25', medium)
  • Ofono (25', medium)
  • Power management ("Battery query interface API", using pm-qos from userland etc) (25', small)

There is some overlap with sessions already given/planned elsewhere, but I couldn't make it to the Danish Weekend and it's looking increasingly unlikely I'll be able to attend the Desktop Summit :-( No need to host redundant talks on my account if there is no new information to talk about.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
As a developer I would like to see some talks about the core technologies of Fremantle/Harmattan, namely:

* Open GL-ES**
* Clutter**
* Tracker
* Rygel
* HIldon**
* Qt**

** If possible hands on sessions.

As a user I expect demo's of new shine applications.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
For instance, what would USERS like to see in the Summit schedule?
My expectations as a user would be influenced by either having a Maemo 5 device by the time the summit rolls around, or not.

If I do have a Maemo 5 device at the time of the summit, I would like:

1. BUGS - Talk about bug status, and resolution for top 10 Fremantle bugs (for instance)
2. Some talk about update strategy for Fremantle - how long can I expect official support for Fremantle.
3. 'Hints of Harmattan' - now that I have Fremantle, what wondrous things can I dream about for Harmattan.

If I do not have a Maemo 5 device at the time of the summit, I would like:

1. Showcase of some Fremantle apps (Nokia, Stars, others)
2. Showcase of neat usage cases - e.g. TV out, device orientation whiz bangs....
3. Data counter demo - apparently there is one for Fremantle - what will it allow me to do (monthly resets, limit warnings, etc).

Regardless of whether I have a Maemo 5 device at the time of the summit:

1. Roadmap on where Maemo and its devices are going, i.e Why should I as a user stick with Maemo Devices for the long haul?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:

Tags
summit