Just stumbled across this little gem currently being produced by Raspberry Pi

The processor is a 700MHz ARM11 processor and they will have 2 models with a choice of 128MB or 256MB RAM, sold at $25 and $35 respectively. Each will have 1080p HDMI out-out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or1-kN2z1iM

Blog: Raspberry Pi

The Link I found this on: Here (Beware, some of the comments may cause *facepalm*)

I must admit, I have fancied the idea of owning a Beagle/Panda board to play with but one of these may have to take place next to my TV.

Last edited by MINKIN2; 2012-01-15 at 12:53.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Nice, would rather buy this and put ubuntu on it (ARM) and use it as a MEDIA Center for TV, having a REAL OS instead of those generic MP4/MP5 HDMI (1080p) players would be more awesome.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
makes me wonder if I should wait for this $35 model or get a WDTV Live Plus for $65 with WDLXTV.

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Bookmarked. Seriously cool, if only I knew of some things I'd do with it... I need more time for cool stuff like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Nice, but an arm11 is not OMAP... OMAP = Power house!

The Following User Says Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
What worries me is this little comment-pair:
Vladhed:
looks good – a lot more risers than I would have thought – are these JTAG like things for debug that won’t be on the final board or are they all for GPIO and I2C etc..?

I see there is a reset button, what are the other two buttons for?

I assume the total memory = 80M is just a preliminary thing until you get the real memory map worked out?
Jamesh:
Yes, there are risers for peripherals (camera, LCD) that won’t be on the final board as people won’t be able to access them anyway (no end user access to the GPU). They are there for testing and development purposes. Some of the signals may go out to GPIO so you can attach things though, esp. camera.

The memory is shared between the GPU and the CPU so Linux won’t have access to the entire 128/256 memory map, the GPU can use quite a bit depending on what you are using it for.
Uh, what? Why *can't* we access the gpu?
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
Nice, but an arm11 is not OMAP... OMAP = Power house!
I can't disagree with you there But I guess they chose not to go with OMAP in aid to reduce costs? They are really making a push to market these for schools and developing countries.

Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
What worries me is this little comment-pair:
Vladhed:

Jamesh:

Uh, what? Why *can't* we access the gpu?
I did not see that as I was skipping through the comments, maybe we would have to wait and see? They are still making lots of revisions ATM, as they want to make it much smaller. That comment still does not bode well

They have managed to get quake3 running though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_mDu...eature=related

Not too shabby

Last edited by MINKIN2; 2011-08-29 at 01:11.

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
I can't disagree with you there But I guess they chose not to go with OMAP in aid to reduce costs? They are really making a push to market these for schools and developing countries.

I did not see that as I was skipping through the comments, maybe we would have to wait and see? They are still making lots of revisions ATM, as they want to make it much smaller. That comment still does not bode well

They have managed to get quake3 running though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_mDu...eature=related

Not too shabby
Not too shabby indeed , really nice board, and for the price forget it, the possibility are endless:

- In car entrainment system, Video and micro keyboards for good old games where keyboards where only needed (DOOM I & II, Insane etc. (need ports thou))

- Video / music / games etc for Home entrainment centre TV

and so on, only imagination sets the limit, and at that price it is more attractive then some of the MINI-ITX / NANO-ITX that cost a crap load (Like VIA...)

Just an update.

Glad I didn't wait on the Raspberry Pi, I don't imagine I'll get my hands on one until sometime Q1 2012 at the earliest. I still plan to order when they do become available with the order date pushed back to Decemeber (and I expect more delays much like OpenPandora project)

Purchased a WDTV Live Plus (v1; v2 is now out) about a month ago on sale, very happy with it. The stock firmware (1.05; 1.06+ is buggy) is very good. Recently I got around to flashing the latest WDLXTV community fw and it is amazing. I was able to program the box (rather than my "universal" remote) to accept the IR codes as well as able to trigger them via a web interface. Now have ssh access, "app" addons, usb boot and more.

Not a general purpose computer like the RasberryPi but it does play EVERY video I throw at it. Good HTPC, SAMBA media streamer and online streamer (youtube, vimeo, flingo, shoutcast, etc.) and I'd recommend it. Don't pay more than ~$60, shop the sales, use coupons, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't know if it solves the GPU accessibility mystery, but, from Raspberry Pi FAQ:

Is there a GPU binary?
Yes. The GPU binary also contains the first stage bootloader.
Very interesting project, indeed.

// Edit

..which makes me want a way to (hardware'ish) mod N900 to contain HDMI output. Really.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-11-05 at 03:00.