Active Topics

Guys,

Do you think we will ever see the ability to use the kinect with the n900? cant help thinking with the combination of the ubuntu kinect driver, usb host mode and tv out we have almost all the things we need to get this working (albeit missing someone with the ability, time and motivation to do it which I certainly wont even pretend to have)

I will be honest I have no idea what actual use it would be other than the cool factor to swish through those maemo home screens with a swipe of the hand. I suppose it would make tv out more useful without a keyboard and mouse plugged in...plus I never tire of seeing the n900 pop up on engadget doing cool stuff that leave other phone users envious

Last edited by cferrism; 2011-01-28 at 19:01.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cferrism For This Useful Post:
I don't think so, it takes lots of CPU/GPU resources from the xbox360

Maybe your right but I would have thought it would take a lot less CPU to turn the data into a mouse pointer gesture than it currently does for the xbox to turn that data into full blown avatar movement while still running the game. Not saying our little n900 could cope with it but all Im saying is you dont need an xbox 360 type powerhouse to deal with that data and do something with it.

Maybe when a Dual-core ARM Cortex A9 tablet (with USB Host-mode) running MeeGo comes out .... and if a dedicated person/s develop for it.

Right now, the N900 lacks the grunt, the support, and the host mode.
So don't hold your breath.

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by xabier View Post
I don't think so, it takes lots of CPU/GPU resources from the xbox360
The kinect will run on N900.
Use open libraries and port to armel

We can't do much. Maybe get a figure drawn on the screen. But we could.
http://www.openkinect.org

Guys, we can play burger face on it.