Active Topics

I just wanted to say a big thanks to Nokia if any one is out there. I thought I would give a little heads up on how things went with a recent repair on my n800.

It took a pretty big hit to the screen somehow in my backpack when I was out on a bike ride. When I got home the touchscreen wasn't working. I sent it in to Nokia and they sent me back a brand new unit. Overall the service was excellent, but the semi-strange thing was they never contacted me in any way. Not that I was disappointed, but it was a little strange that they never sent me an email. Here is how long it took.

Status Date Status
12/30/2008 Shipped Replacement Phone 12/30/2008
12/26/2008 Awaiting Replacement Device
12/19/2008 Awaiting Parts
12/19/2008 Repair in Progress
12/19/2008 Received
12/17/2008 Pending Receipt by the Repair Center

Not bad for over Christmas break. I believe i shipped it to them via ups on December 15. This was probably the best and easiest return experience I have had. Now if I could only get webkit on microb working. . .

Posts: 178 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by buhao View Post
It took a pretty big hit to the screen somehow in my backpack when I was out on a bike ride. When I got home the touchscreen wasn't working. I sent it in to Nokia and they sent me back a brand new unit.
I'm a tad confused .
You damaged your n800, sent it in for repair and they sent you out a brand new unit?
Did you have some sort of insurance for it or something as replacing for accidental damage seems over and above what's normally expected in a warranty situation.

That is why I am saying thank you to them. I was transporting it like a normal human, from point a to point b, and not throwing it across the room or dropping it, and it broke. In my experience, when you send in a broken device they come back at you with questions trying to show that you did something to it out of the ordinary and it is therefore not covered by the warranty. They did not do that and I am happy about it. I could have just posted, "Nokia has great customer service" but that doesn't tell the whole story.

and i got webkit microb working. what a good day.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Did you have some sort of insurance for it or something as replacing for accidental damage seems over and above
. Yes or No,

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
and you`re sure you sent it to nokia?

If the device was indeed damaged due to some kind of impact to the unit, and that was evident, and they still replaced it without any questions asked, then it indeed is impressive.

Otherwise, I have had good experience with them as well. My screen died few months back, and they replaced the device within a week, no questions asked. Just that in my case, the unit died a slow death, and there was no mishandling involved. I was pleasantly surprised with their repair service as well.

no insurance, no marks as far as i could tell on the unit. it was less than a year old so under original warranty. there is the slightest possibility that it just died in my pack while i was riding, but i would think it is much more likely that it took a hit of some type. i told them on the rma form exactly as much as you know and got the previously stated results. i don't know or care beyond that. if you want to really test it out, put a brick on your n800 screen and smash it so that it doesn't leave a mark. send it in and see if they replace it. i was just sharing my experience so others would know that nokia has dealt with it in a very positive way.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I am suspicious. This doesn't seem to be the typical experience most users have been reporting around here, near as I can tell. Certainly wasn't my experience when I called up to complain that my Nokia bluetooth headphones snapped during unfolding. (An operation for which they were designed to do, designed badly.. but designed to do nonetheless.)

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I am suspicious. This doesn't seem to be the typical experience most users have been reporting around here, near as I can tell. Certainly wasn't my experience ...
Which service center did you send it to? I had to ship mine to Huntsville, AL - and here is the timeline ..

Repair History:
Status Date Status
09/04/2008 Shipped Replacement Phone 09/04/2008
09/02/2008 Awaiting Replacement Device
08/28/2008 Awaiting Parts
08/28/2008 Received
08/24/2008 Pending Receipt by the Repair Center

To add to this, I was not at home (outside the country on business) to receive the replacement when it arrived, and USPS sent it back. They (Nokia) held my package for a month and then re-shipped it when I called and asked them to. Overall I was very pleased with the level of service provided.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I am suspicious. This doesn't seem to be the typical experience most users have been reporting around here, near as I can tell. Certainly wasn't my experience when I called up to complain that my Nokia bluetooth headphones snapped during unfolding. (An operation for which they were designed to do, designed badly.. but designed to do nonetheless.)
Why would the guy lie?

...and BTW, calling up complaining vs. sending it in without preconditions or negative expectations will pro'ly net different outcomes.

Perhaps that is what can be learned from his post.