Hi to everyone!

I recently got a 2nd hand Jolla Phone, since I was already a MeeGo fan and wanted to try out its evolution

Unfortunately, it won't update to Sailfish 3, although the update is already downloaded. It shows me an error and please try again later.

Any ideas?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mivas_Greece For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mivas_Greece View Post
Hi to everyone!

I recently got a 2nd hand Jolla Phone, since I was already a MeeGo fan and wanted to try out its evolution

Unfortunately, it won't update to Sailfish 3, although the update is already downloaded. It shows me an error and please try again later.

Any ideas?
Possibly some installed packages.
You may want to do a reset, and then update from GUI (multiple steps, you can’t upgrade directly from old version)

But, to start, please show us the error message

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Niel, if he updates via the GUI the error message is as above already said: oops, something happened!

Is it a Jolla1?
Did you reset it when received?
some more info is always good.

I would say the same as nieldk: backup whatever you have pit on device, reset and update/update/update... and configure.

--
if you know how to deal with shell and root rights you might try the manual update way and get to know a bit more (probably).

I ran into a situation where I had mixex libraries from old and new SFOS version and helpdesk's only help was: RESET! Which I definitely denied and even asking them for zpecifoc packages and locations was not answered. So it took me a few days to recover.
Long story short: reset.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Thank you both for the replies. It is the "First One". I did a reset, after reboot it was Sailfish 1, then a few updates, but still the Sailfish 3 won't install.

When I attempt it, it reboots, then the Sailfish logo appears and a line below that shows it starts installing the update but while it is still in the beginning, it stops and shows me the error message.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvxUhrQRLGXBgYImWQC3OwS06pZGEg

The Following User Says Thank You to Mivas_Greece For This Useful Post:
It's either a conflict with packages installed from OpenRepos, but as you've reset your phone, it seems more likely that it's a strange bug that's been there since the very beginning and was never fixed. Out of all updates, I've only ever been able to install three of them the official way. All of the others I've had to install as such:
  • Enable developer mode
  • Set a password
  • Open terminal
  • Enter "devel-su", followed by your password
  • Enter "ssu re re.lease.num.ber (where re.lease.num.ber is something like 3.0.1.11, the release you want to update to)
  • Enter "pkcon refresh" (this is not mandatory, but you'll probably run into another issue with missing or conflicting packages at some point, which this helps you avoid/resolve)
  • Enter "version --dup"
  • Wait until it's finished, then reboot your device
  • That's it!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
often i have similar problem to update or update apps.
Than devel-su and pkcon refresh helps a lot

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post:
Thank you very much all of you guys! After 3 full resets, I managed to get it to the 3rd edition!

However, I will bookmark your comments, if it happens again, so that I avoid all of these resets, reupdating, reinstallation of apps etc...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mivas_Greece For This Useful Post:
--edit
oops, had this open in browser and doing other things
nevetheless:
--

Strange, should not happen with a 'fresh' device.

But follow nthn and we will probably know more.
pkcon refresh is not really necessary (but also does not hurt) as it is executed within version --dup.

I would redirect the output for easier reading
version --dup > /home/nemo/Documents/update.log
wait for finishing, then
cat /home/nemo/Documents/update.log
if everything good
sync
reboot

If not upload the log...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2019-03-16 at 15:45.

This is exactly one of the situations I created sfos-upgrade for.
It also automatically provides a log file in addition to the "live" output at the screen.

And please don't make people omitting "stop releases" by advising to blindly use ssu re <version> && version --dup, because this will likely result in failing to upgrade. Unfortunately this advice is regularly provided at TJC and here at TMO (also in this thread).
BTW, AFAICS 3.0.0.8 is also a "stop release", which should not be omitted to install!

Last edited by olf; 2019-03-16 at 16:28.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Absolutely true.

Tags
jolla phone, sailfish 3, update