Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
McChicken, your signature says it all. I haven't been satisfied for so long, I'll be very disappointed if I have to go another 6 months to a year waiting for the iconic N95 to be suitably replaced...
Come on, Nokia! Show me love, baby.

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
While I don't oppose the Universal Portrait Support option - I find it much better if they implement it for the "most wanted" applications first (e.g. the ones posted on brainstorm?).

On the topic of N95-1, I'm getting this as a replacement for mine as well, regardless of the lack of ASR (disabled since it came on my N95 anyway :P). I'm sure I can work around the lack of portrait in some apps, just as I work with the lack of RAM on my N95 atm

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

I agree, frals. I think I'll take anything with an OMAP proc and mounds of memory, even if it didn't have a screen. N95 is finally at the pawn shop to make me really want to upgrade. I'm on crutches right now having to go PC instead of mobile, but it'll make me appreciate the N900 and not rail on the lack of portrait support. Its like a lady:
She's got a bad attitude, but she's still the finest woman in the room, and I'll take by her a drink and take her home anyway.

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
fwiw I added a pro and a con to the dashboard idea.

Last edited by nymajoak; 2009-09-28 at 12:13.

I don't recall if I posted these screenshots anywhere, so bear with me, I took them a long time ago.

Comment: So every application has to be designed for landscape AND portrait mode? O'RLLY?

Familiar landscape on N810

Portrait (hacked by the community)

(VNC)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
What's the status on this? Any progress? I recall reading that someone was going to "manage" the project....

Err those pics prove that they're not designed for portrait. They just happen to work ok in portrait at the expense of a user having to adapt to it.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Oh great, a terminal in portrait mode. Ahahaha thanks for the laugh come on you can't be serious. It isn't even 80x25. Your font will be much smaller than in landscape mode.

You misunderstood the word designed. It means that the application is optimized for use in a particular mode (landscape or portrait or supports both well). On various of your screenshots you're actually missing information which is in supposed to be on the screen which is a big no-no in usability 101. Add to that the only situation where you are able to show such hidden information is the last which is a remote desktop (VNC, in this case). Well, that was true in landscape mode as well. No sane person uses LogMeIn Ignition on iPhone in portrait mode by default, and the use cases where such is preferred are very, very small. Although it is possible to do so.

None of the examples prove portrait mode is better or easier to use in their case. None of the examples are for finger/touchscreen instead they are for stylus usage.

And the screenshots you posted do not resemble ASR because the rotation is manual because Nokia N8x0/Maemo 4.x doesn't have accelerometer.

My Sharp Zaurus did manual rotation too 5 years ago, on Linux (Qtopia), actually out of the box. Means nothing.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Ireland
I think that this one item, the inability to rotate the entire system to landscape, will hinder it's adoption into the general smart phone world. If that is your intention, to market to only Geeks, fine, I have already pre-ordered mine. I'd just like to know.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!! thanks Maemo. +1000

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:

Tags
chris vs landscape mode