Active Topics

While I under the impression that Linux system should be much harder to mess up compared to a Windows system, one never should forget these wise words:

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Douglas Adams
Therefore my question is whether it is possible to restore the entire system in N900 in case an adventurous user "accidentally" render the system useless to the point that it will not even boot? If yes then how? Is there some kind of hidden "recovery partition"?

The Following User Says Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Reflash would probably do it, right?

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Denmark
From: http://my-symbian.com/other/preview_n900.php?page=2

"The Settings screen also has two additional options available by tapping the status (title) bar. These include "Restore original settings" (which reverts all device settings to factory ones) and "Clear device" (which deletes all user files and settings, i.e. reverts the whole device to a factory state)."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to real_per For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 664 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
Yes, that'll do the trick

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
There is backup and restore, read the manual.

Originally Posted by real_per View Post
From: http://my-symbian.com/other/preview_n900.php?page=2

"The Settings screen also has two additional options available by tapping the status (title) bar. These include "Restore original settings" (which reverts all device settings to factory ones) and "Clear device" (which deletes all user files and settings, i.e. reverts the whole device to a factory state)."
This would require that the system would work up to at least that point. I had in mind a completely corrupted or missing system. But thanks anyway.

Last edited by Sasler; 2009-10-03 at 15:48.

Originally Posted by joppu View Post
Could it be done by the end user by using a computer or would it need to be done at a service centre?

Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
There is backup and restore, read the manual.
I believe what you are referring to is talking about user data and not the system files.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
I believe what you are referring to is talking about user data and not the system files.
Ahhh, I see what you are saying.

Last edited by les_garten; 2009-10-03 at 21:13.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
Could it be done by the end user by using a computer or would it need to be done at a service centre?
If it's anything like the previous Maemo devices, you should be able to do it yourself with a computer.