Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by jnack95 View Post
ROTFLMAO....heed this information from the master of gaining popularity on this forum...hahahhaa
I aint interested in popularity and that post was having a dig at someone preaching iphone on this forum.

I have my views and i do care a hoot who agree's or not but at least i do it Nokia biased and in the right forum for Nokia .

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
What do you mean Elop gave us the N9?, for your information the N9 was in the development stages well before Elop even had anything to do with Nokia.

Your so obsessed with the iphone that you just do not like Nokia one least bit YET you come on a Nokia based forum and tell everyone how bad Nokia is and how good Elop is.... mate you need your head examined if you even think you will gain any popularity from this Nokia based forum !.

I am actually shocked you drag down people who have actually thanked some of your posts.
Elop gave you N9, just as much as he took Symbian away. He was hired with a specific purpose, get the company on the right track, before it implodes. NOKIA was spread thin, with inferior products in many segments. You are arguing that NOKIA should have focused on Meego, Maemo or whatever. Maemo has been around longer than iphone and what was it market share? Zero.

N9 is an iClone. I will buy it because I think it will be good, it has features that iphone should have. But I will be on record: the battery life will be worse than iphone, the VKB will be worse than iphone and it will be buggy, and no apps. If Elop really wanted to kill N9, he could have easily killed it.

Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Elop gave you N9, just as much as he took Symbian away. He was hired with a specific purpose, get the company on the right track, before it implodes. NOKIA was spread thin, with inferior products in many segments. You are arguing that NOKIA should have focused on Meego, Maemo or whatever. Maemo has been around longer than iphone and what was it market share? Zero.

N9 is an iClone. I will buy it because I think it will be good, it has features that iphone should have. But I will be on record: the battery life will be worse than iphone, the VKB will be worse than iphone and it will be buggy, and no apps. If Elop really wanted to kill N9, he could have easily killed it.
Maemo was used on NITs, not on actual phones. Elop didn't bring N9, he killed it. Also, iphone clone? You really sank to a new low with your posts. I don't see any similarities, but I do see Apple copying Symbian.

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
Wow, if we don't agree with Elop's idiotic plan, we must be negativists in our regular lives. Dude you have seriously mastered the human psychology.

Elop's plan is nowhere to be seen. He cancelled N950 and if the rumor is true, limited N9 to 100000 devices on tiny markets. It's a wonderful plan to kill devices that raised share prices on announcement, received positive feedback from people and continue stubbornly with his tunnel vision in producing a single WP7 device in Q1 2012. If you were smart, you would just buy an HD2 and install WP7.

CONCLUSION: We are negative because his plan, in short, is CRAP for the consumers, but perfect for bankrupting a company.
In the developed world, consumers want iphones and droids. People have voted loudly with their money. They DO not want Taleban S40 penny phones and Symbian buggy crap. N9 will change nothing. N9 is an iClone. Maemo has been around for years and how well did it sell? N9 offers some improved functionality, but not enough to cause a revolution or change the financial equations. Just look at the worldwide build up surrounding iphone 5, http://www.google.com/trends?q=nokia...ate=ytd&sort=1

as compared to N9. Its amazing how different the two curves are.

The strategy that Elop chose makes more sense than any other strategy. I hope they continue to innovate and continue to produce good hardware. But even that is a problem these days for Nokia: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...s/td-p/1122467

If I were MS, I would seriously wonder if NOKIA can deliver as a partner. There is something rotten in NOKIA, and Elop may not have been able to remove all the rot yet.

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Spain, EU
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Symbian is a non-factor in the North American market. Symbian isn't a factor in Japan either.
Excuse me? Ever heard of MOAP-S? It is declining now, but the historical situation and marketshare of Symbian in Japan has always been very, very different to that in the US.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
In the developed world, consumers want iphones and droids.
People have voted loudly with their money. They DO not want Taleban S40 penny phones and Symbian buggy crap. N9 will change nothing. N9 is an iClone.
Maemo has been around for years and how well did it sell?
1) In the "developed" world, we spell it "buggy Symbian crap", not otherwise ("Symbian buggy crap").

2) People want Droids and iPhones, because those are what corporations try to sell them ("ecosystems" a.k.a. vendor lock-in), hence why those corporations invest heavily in marketing. Most people are driven by marketing / commercials, not by interest / curiosity / technical abilities.

3) Maemo received almost no marketing because of reasons already talked over and over. Now go figure out the most important dependency between 2) and 3).

4) Droids and iPhones provide lesser functionality and easier handling / more visible polishing ("shiny GUI FX and high FPS"), that's the second most important portion of their success story, among way more marketing / a larger salesforce. Most people are technically inept (see trisha02 for an example).

Last edited by don_falcone; 2011-09-14 at 13:06.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by kevloral View Post
Excuse me? Ever heard of MOAP-S? It is declining now, but the historical situation and marketshare of Symbian in Japan has always been very, very different to that in the US.
Note the contextual connotation to Symbian being a "has been" in the passage above, not "is". Let me remind you that the person you quoted said that, in Japan, it ISN'T a factor. They didn't say that it HASN'T BEEN a factor.

We now return you to your regular thread.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
1) In the "developed" world, we spell it "buggy Symbian crap", not otherwise ("Symbian buggy crap").

2) People want Droids and iPhones, because those are what corporations try to sell them ("ecosystems" a.k.a. vendor lock-in), hence why those corporations invest heavily in marketing. Most people are driven by marketing / commercials, not by interest / curiosity / technical abilities.

3) Maemo received almost no marketing because of reasons already talked over and over. Now go figure out the most important dependency between 2) and 3).

4) Droids and iPhones provide lesser functionality and easier handling / more visible polishing ("shiny GUI FX and high FPS"), that's the second most important portion of their success story, among way more marketing / a larger salesforce. Most people are technically inept (see trisha02 for an example).
But.........but, N900, N950, N9 and all of current and previous Symbian phones are iPhone clones. Everybody like iphone, it's the original, everything else is copyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy............

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post

2) People want Droids and iPhones, because those are what corporations try to sell them, hence why they heavily invest in marketing.

4) Droids and iPhones provide lesser functionality and easier handling / more visible polishing ("GUI FX"), that's the second most important portion of their success story, among way more marketing / a larger salesforce. Most people are technically inept (see trisha02 for an example).
10 PRINT "buggy Symbian crap"
20 PRINT "Droids and iPhones marketing"
30 GOTO 20
35 GOTO 30
40 PRINT "UI: Better tasting, Less filling"
RUN
buggy Symbian crap
Droids and iPhones marketing
...etc
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010

As much as i want to see your point i cannot because i cannot for the hell of me see what the similarities are between the iphone and the N9... care to tell me?.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-09-14 at 13:29.

Tags
bada rox, bigbadtroll!, ceo firing, fooled again, pissing contest